Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring on titanium frame?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring on titanium frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 05:07 PM
CentralCoastCA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Century Pro Ti - which back rack?

Originally Posted by 2 Piece
Well its not a Linksys, but here is my new Titanium frame Motobecane. I have been commuting with it for the last couple weeks and I really like it. It rides a bit stiffer but at the same time a little softer than my steel frame bike, if that makes any sense. I am planning a little 360 mile ride first of next week. I have no doubt it will make a decent touring bicycle.
I have a Axiom road bike rack mounted to the bike and it is rock solid. I used a mounting arm from another rack to attach the rack to one of the seat stay braze ons. I did not use the metal strip supplied with the rack that is suppose to attach the rack to the brake caliper on a rim brake road bike.
This bike has hydraulic disc brakes with briffters. I love hydraulic disc brakes, had them on one of my other bicycles- no comparison to rim brakes. It also has an 11 speed Ultegra cassette and derailleur.
@2 Piece which Axiom rack did you get. Thanks for telling about the modifications? Pictures of attachment?? I like your comment, "Rock Solid". Thanks
Old 02-08-18, 06:05 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is an axiom Streamliner Road DLX. Ill try and get some pics of attachment.
Old 02-08-18, 09:09 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I see a fair # of Ti bikes on the local path mostly used by commuters & fitness roadies. If Surly made a Ti Trucker I'd snap one up pronto.
Old 02-08-18, 09:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I see a fair # of Ti bikes on the local path mostly used by commuters & fitness roadies. If Surly made a Ti Trucker I'd snap one up pronto.
A Ti Trucker...mmmmmmmmmm! Would love a Ti Steamroller for sure.
Old 02-08-18, 10:49 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
A Ti Trucker...mmmmmmmmmm! Would love a Ti Steamroller for sure.
you may have that, if tis your desire.
just have to fork out the loot.
quite a few chinese builders advertising on taobao.
tell 'em what you really want.

this guy advertises custom ti frames starting about $700.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=554889710018

Old 02-09-18, 04:16 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My wife did have an LHT but as she's petit and the LHT weighs about the same as a boat anchor I had a habanero custom made for her. It's only 2/3 the weight of the LHT and handles everyday use with panniers no problem. It's got a Tubus titanium Fly rear pannier rack.
A 48-32 at the front with a 11-42 at the back will get you up any hill
Old 02-09-18, 11:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I am very happy with my Lynskey Backroad.

But, I will be the first to admit that a Titanium loaded touring bike makes little sense and is not very cost effective. Having a Titanium frame knocks maybe two pounds off the weight of the frame, but it still is a bike designed to carry a load. For example, my Backroad frame (not counting the fork) weighs less than the rear wheel with a tire on it because it still needs a set of wheels that are robust enough to handle a touring load. Once loaded down with camping gear, cutting a couple pounds off the frame weight is not really that noticeable.

I am glad I built it up, but I got a fantastic price on the frame. I would not have bought the frame at the manufacturer price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3673.JPG (306.8 KB, 349 views)
20IMGP3668.JPG (314.6 KB, 345 views)
20IMGP0363.JPG (295.7 KB, 343 views)
039.jpg (243.3 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-09-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 12:13 PM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks way too small for you. Maybe just the picture I guess. Cool bike nonetheless.

Where I see the most possibilities for Ti is in racks, but aside from some BG custom ones (drool), I haven't ever seen any.
Old 02-09-18, 12:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,466 Times in 1,434 Posts
Myth 2: Titanium is Lighter than Steel

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-09-18, 01:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by fantom1
Looks way too small for you. Maybe just the picture I guess. Cool bike nonetheless.
Based on top tube length, fit is perfect. It is their size large.
Old 02-09-18, 02:33 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I dislike the approach that some take, such as Jan Hiney, who proclaim to know it all, but offer nothing more than their personal opinions. Reading the comments and responses, I get a sense the guy is more interested in winning an argument than actually listening to others who have equally valid opinions. There is no correct opinion.
Old 02-09-18, 02:48 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

But, I will be the first to admit that a Titanium loaded touring bike makes little sense and is not very cost effective. Having a Titanium frame knocks maybe two pounds off the weight of the frame, but it still is a bike designed to carry a load. For example, my Backroad frame (not counting the fork) weighs less than the rear wheel with a tire on it because it still needs a set of wheels that are robust enough to handle a touring load. Once loaded down with camping gear, cutting a couple pounds off the frame weight is not really that noticeable.

I am glad I built it up, but I got a fantastic price on the frame. I would not have bought the frame it at the manufacturer price.
I always liked the Backroad.

My Carver is OEM'd by Lynskey based on the GR250 but with slider dropouts...yea I didn't "need to" put as much money into it as I did. But it puts a dumb grin on my face whether riding loaded or unloaded or just plain commuting. And with Ti I don't have to worry about rust or paint nicks (good for our rural MMR/gravel roads out here):

Old 02-10-18, 07:22 PM
CentralCoastCA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rack attachment....What do I need

Originally Posted by 2 Piece
Well its not a Linksys, but here is my new Titanium frame Motobecane. I have been commuting with it for the last couple weeks and I really like it. It rides a bit stiffer but at the same time a little softer than my steel frame bike, if that makes any sense. I am planning a little 360 mile ride first of next week. I have no doubt it will make a decent touring bicycle.
I have a Axiom road bike rack mounted to the bike and it is rock solid. I used a mounting arm from another rack to attach the rack to one of the seat stay braze ons. I did not use the metal strip supplied with the rack that is suppose to attach the rack to the brake caliper on a rim brake road bike.
This bike has hydraulic disc brakes with briffters. I love hydraulic disc brakes, had them on one of my other bicycles- no comparison to rim brakes. It also has an 11 speed Ultegra cassette and derailleur.
I have a Motobecane Century Pro Ti and am putting on my old Blackburn rack. I have it on but need the attachment to the frame under the seat. You have yours fixed to the fender mount; right? Anyone know of the attachments that go to the other two frame mounts....thanks
Old 02-10-18, 07:25 PM
CentralCoastCA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I always liked the Backroad.

My Carver is OEM'd by Lynskey based on the GR250 but with slider dropouts...yea I didn't "need to" put as much money into it as I did. But it puts a dumb grin on my face whether riding loaded or unloaded or just plain commuting. And with Ti I don't have to worry about rust or paint nicks (good for our rural MMR/gravel roads out here):

I have a Motobecane Century Pro Ti and am putting on my old Blackburn rack. I have it on but need the attachment to the frame under the seat. You have yours fixed to the fender mount; right? Anyone know of the attachments that go to the other two frame mounts....thanks

Old 02-10-18, 07:59 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA

Your best bet with that old Blackburn rack is to contact Blackburn as ask them WTF you're supposed to do to attach it. You're missing parts. I suspect you need a similar style of arms as my front rack. Blackburn did something whacky non-standard and inconvenient.
Old 02-10-18, 09:47 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...old Blackburn rack. I have it on but need the attachment to the frame under the seat.
something doesn't look quite right.....there should be some sort of mounting
point on the rack for the bars or sliders or whatever was used.

also......the arms at the top of the strut nearest the frame are close together,
while the center strut arms are even with the sides of the platform/top.

i'm thinking normally....struts are at the outer edges of the rack platform
except for the end struts away from the bike frame. not sure if that is
functional or just aesthetics.

and where is the lip/bend upwards that blackburn usually puts on the end
of the rack nearest the frame?

can you provide a photo of the other end of the rack?

sure looks like you might have a front rack mounted backwards.

Last edited by saddlesores; 02-10-18 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 09:54 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by geoffs
My wife did have an LHT but as she's petit and the LHT weighs about the same as a boat anchor I had a habanero custom made for her. It's only 2/3 the weight of the LHT and handles everyday use with panniers no problem. It's got a Tubus titanium Fly rear pannier rack.
A 48-32 at the front with a 11-42 at the back will get you up any hill
I've seriously considered a Habanero, costs more than ordering direct from China but price seems pretty fair considering they take care of a lot of the design etc problems. I'm avg height but light body weight so my Trucker is sturdier & heavier than I need. I like that Habanero offers S&S coupler option.
Old 02-10-18, 10:18 PM
DropBarFan

Not very cost effective but OTOH trad tourers don't have many options to cut weight, apart from spartan UL packing. A good Ti frame can last for decades, right? So over time it might be worth it. & a lot of folks say that with the camping luggage, extra weight of Trucker or other heavy steel frames is only a small proportion. But when I'm climbing on loaded bike is when any weight saving could really help.
Old 02-10-18, 10:45 PM
CentralCoastCA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Marcus_Ti
What is the rear rack on this? Thanks
Old 02-11-18, 02:12 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

@Marcus_Ti
What is the rear rack on this? Thanks
Tubus Cosmo, in stainless steel
Old 02-11-18, 11:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

I've seriously considered a Habanero, costs more than ordering direct from China but price seems pretty fair considering they take care of a lot of the design etc problems. I'm avg height but light body weight so my Trucker is sturdier & heavier than I need. I like that Habanero offers S&S coupler option.
A friend of mine is quite happy with his Habenaro. Not a very good photo, but I did post a photo of it on page one of this thread in post number 9 back when this thread started two years ago.

A year ago we did Florida Big Cyprus, Everglades and Florida Keys (pre-Irma). The first photo attached is of his Habenaro on that trip. I do not know where he got a Carbon fork that has the mid fork rack mounts, but he got it and it works for him. My fork on my Backroad (above) is steel.

On the Habenaro, with no front panniers he had his rear panniers as far forward as he can get them and still have heel clearance, when he had more heel clearance, he had some shimmy and poor handling. That is why the photo below has front panniers but the photo I posted two years ago did not. After that first long trip with it he decided he needed to spread the weight across the bike better.

I do not know what the deal is with Lynskey, but they occasionally post bike frames on Ebay that are new at a substantial discount. They also carry full warranty. That is where I got my Backroad frame. If you are very patient and know what model and size you would want, it might become available. Or it might not, but there is no way to predict. But if you are patient and interested in a Lynskey, figure out what model(s) you are interested in and the size. Then keep an eye on Ebay.

I was not watching to buy a Backroad when suddenly one showed up in my size on Ebay. I bid higher than other bidders but still got a great price. I think my total cost (which includes new SP dynohub and new Luxos U for light and charging) was less than the manufacturer price for just the frame. Some of teh parts I put on it were over 10 years old and used on a different bike, some parts I bought used (1990s vintage rear XT derailleur), but a lot of the parts were new. And I did almost all the work, the only labor charge was to install the headset at a bike shop.

Some Titanium frames have thick chainstays that can interfere with a triple. If you want a triple, consider that. The second photo below is of my Backroad. The drive side chainstay was designed so that there was plenty of room for a triple on the Backroad, but that is not common to all Lynskeys.
Attached Images
20IMGP0119.JPG (111.5 KB, 273 views)
20IMGP3675.JPG (366.2 KB, 266 views)
Old 02-11-18, 11:34 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Another afordable option is Carver: Carver Bikes - It's the Ride.

Although his stocks frame sets really don't have the low BB serious tourists want...so a custom job might be needed. My Gravel Grinder frame is one of his, with the slider dropouts set to 44.5mm

A friend of mine is quite happy with his Habenaro. Not a very good photo, but I did post a photo of it on page one of this thread in post number 9 back when this thread started two years ago.

A year ago we did Florida Big Cyprus, Everglades and Florida Keys (pre-Irma). The first photo attached is of his Habenaro on that trip. I do not know where he got a Carbon fork that has the mid fork rack mounts, but he got it and it works for him. My fork on my Backroad (above) is steel.

On the Habenaro, with no front panniers he had his rear panniers as far forward as he can get them and still have heel clearance, when he had more heel clearance, he had some shimmy and poor handling. That is why the photo below has front panniers but the photo I posted two years ago did not. After that first long trip with it he decided he needed to spread the weight across the bike better.

I do not know what the deal is with Lynskey, but they occasionally post bike frames on Ebay that are new at a substantial discount. They also carry full warranty. That is where I got my Backroad frame. If you are very patient and know what model and size you would want, it might become available. Or it might not, but there is no way to predict. But if you are patient and interested in a Lynskey, figure out what model(s) you are interested in and the size. Then keep an eye on Ebay.

I was not watching to buy a Backroad when suddenly one showed up in my size on Ebay. I bid higher than other bidders but still got a great price. I think my total cost (which includes new SP dynohub and new Luxos U for light and charging) was less than the manufacturer price for just the frame. Some of teh parts I put on it were over 10 years old and used on a different bike, some parts I bought used (1990s vintage rear XT derailleur), but a lot of the parts were new. And I did almost all the work, the only labor charge was to install the headset at a bike shop.

Some Titanium frames have thick chainstays that can interfere with a triple. If you want a triple, consider that. The second photo below is of my Backroad. The drive side chainstay was designed so that there was plenty of room for a triple on the Backroad, but that is not common to all Lynskeys.

ATM there are 3 aftermarket carbon forks with engineered rack points...with discs:

Niner's which is what I use: NINER RDO GRAVEL FORK

Fyxation: https://www.fyxation.com/products/ca...adventure-fork

Rodeo Labs: Rodeo Spork Bicycle Fork. A carbon fiber adventure bike fork.Rodeo Adventure Labs, LLC

AFAIK only the Rodeo and Niner are engineered to CX conditions (rated for 6" drops). Specialized has a carbon fork for their Diverge line with rack points, but AFAIK it isn't available retail separately. OFC the catch with CX/MTBN rated carbon forks is they aren't that light--like 600 grams.

With the Niner, the caveat is you need a 3rd part bolt-head thru-axle as the stock maxle doesn't work with pannier racks.
Old 08-02-18, 02:11 PM
jspurlin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What fork are you using?
Old 08-02-18, 07:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by jspurlin
What fork are you using?
Whom are you asking?
Old 08-03-18, 10:30 AM
jspurlin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whom are you asking?
That was intended for you. I'm thinking of getting a
Backroad and I'm not sure what fork to buy. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.