Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What's Next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 01:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What's Next?

Longer races? The longest I've done is 56 miles. Should I sign up for Pisgah Monster Cross at 72 miles? Doesn't seem to be that much of a difference, only longer.

Different areas? Maybe drive from North Georgia out to Colorado and experience some high altitude gravel and real mountains. Utah? White Rim Trail? It would be cool to ride above treeline or in the desert.

Bikepacking seems like a logical step. I've purchased a stove, some ti cookwear and am experimenting with it. I'll probably get a tent soon and bag or quilt over the winter. Should be fun.

Longer rides. Higher mountains? Trans Antarctica world record? First ascent of Mt. Everest by gravel bike?

What's your dream, goal, plan or "next?"

-Tim-
Old 12-18-18, 02:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
My next is to ride Cirrem in late February and do well. 100k race. Do well is subjective and based on whatever conditions happen to be that day since fit could be 25 and dry, 45 and wet, or 60 and windy.
who knows.
Old 12-19-18, 09:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
You actually just mentioned it. I'll be riding the White Rim on my gravel bike this March.
Old 12-19-18, 09:36 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
BWR for me next year. All my current riding is training for that.
Old 12-20-18, 07:28 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by rosefarts
You actually just mentioned it. I'll be riding the White Rim on my gravel bike this March.
Green with envy right now.

So what kind of bike are you using? Rigid fork? My understanding is that it is a bit rough for a rigid fork, no?

How many days? Camping?

This is something I'm really, really interested in doing and would love to camp at White Crack. Would love to hear your plans and how it goes.

-Tim-
Old 12-20-18, 08:06 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Green with envy right now.

So what kind of bike are you using? Rigid fork? My understanding is that it is a bit rough for a rigid fork, no?

How many days? Camping?

This is something I'm really, really interested in doing and would love to camp at White Crack. Would love to hear your plans and how it goes.

-Tim-
Ill do it on my steel cross bike with my steel fork.

I'm using 38mm Ramblers now, I expect that they'll wear out before then, I'll go a touch wider for the next pair. I don't mind walking the 2 miles of sand it supposedly has.

Currently, this bike mostly rides mountain bike trails, so I'll be used to the bumps. I've been out as far as Monster Tower and Washer Woman to climb, there's nothing of major concern up to that point.

I'll be riding it unsupported in a day.

I'm framing it as an opportunity for my parents to see my son and for my wife to get a break. They're going to meet me in Moab and camp and play with him while I ride.

Staying fit enough for a really hard century over the winter is probably the crux.
Old 12-20-18, 08:39 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Ill do it on my steel cross bike with my steel fork.

I'm using 38mm Ramblers now, I expect that they'll wear out before then, I'll go a touch wider for the next pair. I don't mind walking the 2 miles of sand it supposedly has.

Currently, this bike mostly rides mountain bike trails, so I'll be used to the bumps. I've been out as far as Monster Tower and Washer Woman to climb, there's nothing of major concern up to that point.

I'll be riding it unsupported in a day.

I'm framing it as an opportunity for my parents to see my son and for my wife to get a break. They're going to meet me in Moab and camp and play with him while I ride.

Staying fit enough for a really hard century over the winter is probably the crux.
This is interesting and not what I had heard from others who had supposedly ridden it. Most of what I read indicated that a suspension was required but to be fair I think this is mostly from mountain bikers who might not even own rigid fork bikes.

I'd love a ride report, especially with regard to difficulty relative to a rigid bike. I'll send you a PM.

Good luck. It sounds like a great time.

-Tim-
Old 12-20-18, 10:15 AM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
In 2019 I like to get professional bike fit with my gravel bike. I like to do my first gravel imperial century. My bike is nearly complete to how I like it. As in 2020 I will be attempting Sancho 200 miles in Michigan. I just want keep exploring my local gravel roads.
Old 12-20-18, 09:05 PM
gravelfan

Bikes: Two Independent Fabrications, a Niner RLT, and a Trek Domane

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Rock Cobbler in Bakersfield California on February 9th. Info from their registration site: Gravel Grinder? Sorta…

The World Famous Rock Cobbler is a stupidly hard ride bordering on a race. The Pebbler is less stupidly hard but still a true challenge. As always we are passionate and driven to showcase roads, dirt trails, gravel and a VERY challenging route not yet ridden, not yet tamed. The Cobbler will be roughly 85-95ish miles and 6800ft+ - of elevation consisting of county asphalt roads, trails, private land, a river, a creek and a brewery. The Pebbler will be 50ish miles and roughly 4000ft+ - of elevation. As is tradition the final routes are announced the week of the event. Both will be very hard but will be very fun, in a very Bakersfield Way.

The rides are designed for a cross/gravel bike with a file tread 700x34-38mm tire. A mountain bike will work. Don’t be stupid and bring a road bike. NO AERO BARS. You might do pushups, throw water balloons, laugh, cry, suck your thumb, meet Tacoman, ride thru a church and or swim…but you WILL hike with your bike and enjoy cussing us. More than once. WE HAVE FUN!
Old 01-23-19, 03:55 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I'm pretty sure I need to do this by bike...

Pretty sure as in completely obsessed with thinking about it.

Anyone wanna go?

-Tim-
Old 01-23-19, 04:05 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The touring bike I just built up isn't that much of a gravel bike. But I threw some Bon Jon Pass ELs on it, which I think means I'm obligated to go for a ride on the Olympic peninsula.
Old 01-23-19, 07:37 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
How about the Kettle Valley Railway

Old 01-23-19, 10:39 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byc-bzpxl2I

Anyone wanna go?

-Tim-
Hmmm what would you ride?

I am actually torn in 2 directions with the thought of "What is next?" .
Do I grab something light and fast RLT/Revolt/warbird. Or say a bit slower Bombtrack Beyond/Salsa Fargo drop bar rigid 29er or 27+ and actually see less in a day but have more comfort on bike and camping.
Old 01-24-19, 07:48 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Metieval
Hmmm what would you ride?

I am actually torn in 2 directions with the thought of "What is next?" .
Do I grab something light and fast RLT/Revolt/warbird. Or say a bit slower Bombtrack Beyond/Salsa Fargo drop bar rigid 29er or 27+ and actually see less in a day but have more comfort on bike and camping.
I'd ride my Niner. gravel bike.

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/niner-rlt-9-rdo-33084

The RLT 9 RDO is not an uncomfortable bike. I would not hesitate to tour or bikepack on it. That's my plan.

-Tim-
Old 01-24-19, 10:10 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
You should be able to find something on this map of bikepacking routes. Lots of good stuff to choose from:

Bikepacking Routes - BIKEPACKING.com
Bikepacking Routes USA - BIKEPACKING.com
Old 01-24-19, 11:05 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byc-bzpxl2I

Anyone wanna go?

-Tim-
I've walked up to 14.5K ft......up to 13.5K ft with a forty pound pack. Pretty sure I cannot do that ride today. Maybe in my dreams.
I would be off the bike pushing it after my "Great-Granny-Gear" failed me..
My recommendation is to sleep a night or two at about 8K ft or higher before attempting the climb.
If you lose you balance, altitude sickness is coming....if you barf, it's here...... if you are coughing up blood you are in trouble.
Old 01-25-19, 09:40 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by trailangel
I've walked up to 14.5K ft......up to 13.5K ft with a forty pound pack. Pretty sure I cannot do that ride today. Maybe in my dreams.
I would be off the bike pushing it after my "Great-Granny-Gear" failed me..
My recommendation is to sleep a night or two at about 8K ft or higher before attempting the climb.
If you lose you balance, altitude sickness is coming....if you barf, it's here...... if you are coughing up blood you are in trouble.
The road is one way from Black Bear Pass to the switchbacks. It is all downhill. You cannot ride up.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29232420

Altitude sickness is a concern. Thanks for the info. I was at Arapaho and Keystone back in the 90's and a friend got it. We got him down to Denver as fast as we could and he was fine.

-Tim-
Old 01-25-19, 05:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Longer races? The longest I've done is 56 miles. Should I sign up for Pisgah Monster Cross at 72 miles? Doesn't seem to be that much of a difference, only longer.

Different areas? Maybe drive from North Georgia out to Colorado and experience some high altitude gravel and real mountains. Utah? White Rim Trail? It would be cool to ride above treeline or in the desert.

Bikepacking seems like a logical step. I've purchased a stove, some ti cookwear and am experimenting with it. I'll probably get a tent soon and bag or quilt over the winter. Should be fun.

Longer rides. Higher mountains? Trans Antarctica world record? First ascent of Mt. Everest by gravel bike?

What's your dream, goal, plan or "next?"

-Tim-
In the past few weeks, I have kind of seized on the Coast-to-Coast Gravel Grinder in Michigan as my next big goal. 210 miles, mostly gravel, some of it a bit messy. I'm thinking 2020 -- which gives me 1.5 years to build up with some longer gravel events.

I've done a 200-mile ride on pavement and it was tough -- when I was 45 years old. Now I'm 56, and feel like I need a big challenge. We'll see.
Old 01-25-19, 06:21 PM
sjfoote081

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 1, Motobecane Fantom 650b

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
More cyclocross! Hardest thing I've ever done...

Also want to do the complete Virginia Creeper Trail again starting in Abingdon and riding UP the mountain to WhiteTop and the North Carolina state line.
Old 01-28-19, 04:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Yeah, Black Bear Pass.

Um, no. Changed my mind. I ain't riding this.

Old 01-28-19, 06:34 PM
sjfoote081

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 1, Motobecane Fantom 650b

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Tim,

I really think you might enjoy the Virginia Creeper Trail. When ridden from Abingdon to the NC state line it is a little over 34 miles with the last 17 miles or so mostly uphill. After a stop at the top for refueling, those 17 miles down to Damascus VA are pretty enjoyable. Beautiful and changing scenery along the way as you pass thru some farms, tiny towns, beautiful meadows and then some old growth forest as you approach the summit, You can drive there from ATL in about 5 hours and there are plenty of places to stay in Abingdon. Here is a profile map:

Did I mention that it is all gravel and cinder?