Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stoker Coaster Crank

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Stoker Coaster Crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 06:31 PM
wheelspeed

Bikes: '06 Titus mtb, 2004 Trek T2000 tandem, '88 Merckx 753, '18 Emonda, '91 Cannondale mtb, '19 Trance 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stoker Coaster Crank

Hello everyone,

It has been a few years I think. Has anyone heard of a company lately that makes a stoker crank capable of coasting when captain is pedalling? Our '04 Trek T2000 that we love has captain drive chain on left side. But if the only option was to convert to all chains on the right side, we could do that too.

Best,
John & Elsa
Old 02-12-19, 06:38 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Are you referring to the DaVinci ICS setup? If so, check out their web site.
Old 02-12-19, 07:37 PM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Independent Pedaling System (IPS) tandem cranksets made by Lasco are still available as far as I can tell - I see them on numerous sites, including Wal-Mart, eBay and BikeMan.

I’ve used them in the past and they worked great on both a Burley Duet and a Santana Sovereign. You can use a pair of IPS cranksets so that both riders can coast independently like a da Vinci tandem or just one so that your stoker only (or captain - if you install your one IPS crankset in that position) can coast independently.

They do have a right side timing chain set up. If they are still the same, they will work with a triple 130mm BCD for middle and outer rings and a 74mm inner ring. An old school square taper BB is required and you’ll need a wider-than-usual spindle length and end up with a Q-factor that’s a bit on the wide side, which was perfect for my stoker wife.

We have a da Vinci tandem now (our second one!) which is a more elegant solution for independent coasting, but these IPS cranks do work fine if you’re willing to tinker a bit with the setup. We pedaled in sync for 8 years and have been “independent” for 21 years now and would NEVER go back!

I’d post a link, but I’m still at less than 10 posts so I can’t ...

Last edited by Joint Venture; 02-13-19 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 04:01 AM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Our latest is a da Vinci tandem . Love it and would never go back to a sync setup!
Old 02-14-19, 06:10 PM
wheelspeed

Bikes: '06 Titus mtb, 2004 Trek T2000 tandem, '88 Merckx 753, '18 Emonda, '91 Cannondale mtb, '19 Trance 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joint Venture
The Independent Pedaling System (IPS) tandem cranksets made by Lasco are still available as far as I can tell - I see them on numerous sites, including Wal-Mart, eBay and BikeMan.

I’ve used them in the past and they worked great on both a Burley Duet and a Santana Sovereign. You can use a pair of IPS cranksets so that both riders can coast independently like a da Vinci tandem or just one so that your stoker only (or captain - if you install your one IPS crankset in that position) can coast independently.

They do have a right side timing chain set up. If they are still the same, they will work with a triple 130mm BCD for middle and outer rings and a 74mm inner ring. An old school square taper BB is required and you’ll need a wider-than-usual spindle length and end up with a Q-factor that’s a bit on the wide side, which was perfect for my stoker wife.

We have a da Vinci tandem now (our second one!) which is a more elegant solution for independent coasting, but these IPS cranks do work fine if you’re willing to tinker a bit with the setup. We pedaled in sync for 8 years and have been “independent” for 21 years now and would NEVER go back!

I’d post a link, but I’m still at less than 10 posts so I can’t ...
Thank you very much, Joint Venture. And welcome to the forum! I'll look into some of this detailed information you gave. I was hoping to keep the nice Ultegra left-side-drive crank up front, but maybe I'll look to see if our frame's BBs can accept what you describe.
Old 02-17-19, 06:53 PM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelspeed
Thank you very much, Joint Venture. And welcome to the forum! I'll look into some of this detailed information you gave. I was hoping to keep the nice Ultegra left-side-drive crank up front, but maybe I'll look to see if our frame's BBs can accept what you describe.

Thanks! I’d be willing to bet your 2004 Trek has conventional BSA threaded BB shells, so fitting a BB with a square taper spindle will be no problem. The “old school” BB’s are still widely available. You’ll need to mock up the IPS rear crankset and measure carefully to determine the spindle length needed for a good chainline.