Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

How do you carry stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 10:08 PM
nellborg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How do you carry stuff?

100 mile gravel races/events. Sketchy weather forecast. How do you carry your extra gear, i.e. layers, food, tubes, fix-it tools? What's most convenient and most secure / least floppy? Frame bag, handlebar bag, pockets and saddlebag...
Old 01-29-19, 11:10 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Revelate frame bad and gas tank a typical seat post bag and a Osprey Raptor hydration pack. All streamlined keeps the bike stable and handling well.
Old 01-30-19, 07:13 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Bar bag from Jandd and a small saddle bag. This is enough for sketchy weather forecast and a few snacks.
Old 01-30-19, 09:32 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Carradry saddlebag with the SQR retention system by Carradice. It's a more organized pack than the long bickpacking saddlebags, and is perfect for commuting since it has a shoulder strap. The SQR bracket fits pretty securely to the seatpost, but I probably wouldn't use it with a carbon seatpost, so that's one drawback of the system. You do need decent clearance from the top of the tire to the saddle, so if you ride without much seatpost exposed, it might not be the ideal solution

I used it on a light road bike for a bikepacking trip, and even though that bike is not at all setup for touring, I only noticed a little sway from a fully-loaded bag+sleeping bag bungied to the back. It's a solid bag and attachment system.
Old 01-30-19, 09:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMW3 6-7.5 liter capacity. Due to the shape, my legs dont touch it either, which would drive me nuts if they did.
And a feed bag for quick access to snacks up front. It stays out of the way and i like it more than top tube bags.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-31-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 09:52 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
RhinoWalk waterproof 10L seat bag. Works great for all the above. here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-30-19, 10:23 AM
nellborg

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm thinking more along the lines of a "racier" application where I'll be carrying less stuff - maybe just what I need to repair and inflate tires, a place for a wind jacket, cell phone, keys, maybe an extra water bottle. I've always used a tiny under-seat bag for tubes and tools.

A smaller frame bag like the small frame pack by Banjo Brothers might be the ticket - anyone have one of these? Would a small handlebar bag flop around and be too annoying on bumpier roads?
Old 01-30-19, 11:28 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
I did a 100 mile event in October that had a split forecast of either warming and sunny or cooling and rain. I used a tiny framebag (Lil' Dude) from Ellum Bag Works to hold all my spares and tools. For food and clothes I used a small fanny pack (Walmart brand Outdoor Products echo or essential is about perfect). It ended up being very cold rain and mud that made me regret not bringing more clothes. But I survived and finished so it obviously wasn't that bad.

For some reason during events I always forgo a regular framebag as it doesn't feel very racy. Fanny pack, even loaded with food and a little bouncy, just makes it feel like a race. Getting the weight off the bike also helps feel a little more lively IMO. I used to use a camelbak that could carry enough water for 6-7 hours of racing until I realized it was a lot slower to carry the extra weight then just refill bottles with everyone else. I almost always join or form a group and there was no advantage when everyone stops at the aid station and then starts back up again.

I don't like handlebar bags as the weight can have an effect on handling - but seems like some people notice and some don't so YMMV.
Old 01-30-19, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Panniers
Old 01-30-19, 12:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by nellborg
I'm thinking more along the lines of a "racier" application where I'll be carrying less stuff - maybe just what I need to repair and inflate tires, a place for a wind jacket, cell phone, keys, maybe an extra water bottle. I've always used a tiny under-seat bag for tubes and tools.

A smaller frame bag like the small frame pack by Banjo Brothers might be the ticket - anyone have one of these? Would a small handlebar bag flop around and be too annoying on bumpier roads?
For that application, a saddlebag will hold most of the items that you will need only for a repair. I like a lunchbag-style bag, as the capacity is adjustable and the load can be arranged to minimize any thigh-rub. Then, snacks and a windshell can easily fit in jersey pockets...As can an extra water bottle.
Old 01-30-19, 03:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by nellborg

I guess the question to answer your question would be - how much storage in cubic inches or liters do you need?
Based on this list, I would guess 4 liters since you want to hold a jacket, water bottle, tubes, cell, and keys. Is that about correct?
Old 01-30-19, 10:15 PM
nellborg

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I'm thinking volume wise, tube and smaller tools under the seat. Pump? does everyone use CO2 inflaters only, or does everyone also carry a backup mini-pump? In any case, a mini pump and CO2 cartridges, phone, keys only add up to about the volume of a couple of water bottles, which I guess would be 1.5 liters? Right? the wind jacket could fit alone into a small water bottle. Seems to me that would be most out of the way in a mini frame bag and/or a handlebar bag, right? Having a large 2 liter under-seat bag just seems like it would get in the way or something. A rear rack with a small rack bag might be an option, I guess.....just thinking.

Thanks for the pics, too.
Old 01-31-19, 08:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

A rear rack with bag would, to me, be heavier and less 'racier' than most any other option. It would certainly work, but all of these options work- its just a matter of picking which you like most.

I use a pump thats larger than a mini pump but smaller than a full size frame pump. I havent found a mini pump that is worth the effort required to use.
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Road-M.../dp/B07C3TJ8MZ
I attach it at an angle next to my downtube bottle cage and it stays out of the way.

https://www.wiggle.com/topeak-aero-w...ge-saddle-bag/ - this size can go from 1.65 to 2 liters. Not sure if the shape is good for a water bottle plus jacket, tools, tubes, and personal items.
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMWEX - this can expand from 1.9 to 2.9 liters. When expanded, it should be large enough to handle a water bottle.

For what its worth, I also carry some sunscreen(at least a stick of it), chapstick, a few bandaids, and some gauze. Most of that is very light, but it does take up a small bit of room. Ive used it all on rides before, for myself and others.
The issue with carrying an extra water bottle is the length of the bottle. Not many bags are made that long. I bring small 8oz bottled waters with me as they are more compact and fit in traditional seat wedge bags better. Once my bottles are empty, I can just pour in the water from the small bottles.

Due to the hard shape of a waterbottle that would need to fit in whatever bag you use, perhaps a quarter frame bag would be best? I have one and its OK, but not my favorite due to how narrow I need to keep things so my legs dont run the bag. But its length would allow a water bottle to easily fit.