Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peace Bicycles - any good?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 11:48 PM
kalash74

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking for a classic roadster for a while but updated with lighter weight components and fat tires.

Has anyone had experience with (or seen reviews for) Peace Bicycles?

Dutch Style City Bikes - Classic Peace Bicycles Commuter Cruisers

They have relaxed frame geometries and come with a bunch of accessories, including Schwalbe Fat Frank tires.

They look like a direct copy of Velorbis Churchill Balloon:

Churchill Balloon - Ride in style

But they are of course cheaper and seem to be lighter weight (34 lbs including all accessories).

The downside is that they appear to be made of hi-ten steel, not chromoly. And there don't appear to be any reviews of them anywhere on the 'net. What do you think? For someone looking for a European style (German/Danish/Swedish) bike, this one looks unique. It's not your everyday English 3-speed or Dutch roadster.

Thoughts? They only ship online, as far as I know. No local dealers.
Old 01-01-16, 12:05 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
save up a bit more and buy a Pashley Guv'nor

Guv'nor | Gents Classic Path Racer Bicycle | Pashley Cycles

Old 01-01-16, 05:58 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
save up a bit more and buy a Pashley Guv'nor

Guv'nor | Gents Classic Path Racer Bicycle | Pashley Cycles

Or save up even more and go for total class:

Bicycles
Old 01-01-16, 06:27 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kalash74
I've been looking for a classic roadster for a while but updated with lighter weight components and fat tires.

Has anyone had experience with (or seen reviews for) Peace Bicycles?

Dutch Style City Bikes - Classic Peace Bicycles Commuter Cruisers

They have relaxed frame geometries and come with a bunch of accessories, including Schwalbe Fat Frank tires.

They look like a direct copy of Velorbis Churchill Balloon:

Churchill Balloon - Ride in style

But they are of course cheaper and seem to be lighter weight (34 lbs including all accessories).

The downside is that they appear to be made of hi-ten steel, not chromoly. And there don't appear to be any reviews of them anywhere on the 'net. What do you think? For someone looking for a European style (German/Danish/Swedish) bike, this one looks unique. It's not your everyday English 3-speed or Dutch roadster.

Thoughts? They only ship online, as far as I know. No local dealers.

I always like the appearance of these type of bikes. I did go to the site and unless I missed something, the only size available is 54 cm. They claim this is good for upto 6' +. I'm just a bit under 6 and ride a 58cm.

Yes you could always extend the stem and seat post but when I've tried this with other bikes too small for me, I've always felt uncomfortable (and it made the bike look goofy). The one size fits all wally world approach never works for me.

Of course if that's the size you ride, it would be a good fit.

Last edited by okane; 01-01-16 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 10:55 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
For me, this would be a non-starter - Churchill Balloon: 25 kilograms (55 POUNDS) ! ! ! ! !

The Pashley is grossly over-priced, IMO.

I'd say get a vintage, light weight, on-suspension mountain bike, one that's in near-perfect condition. Put some Fat Franks and a sprung Brooks on it. Ride and enjoy! My guess is $350 including the new tires and saddle.

It will weigh well under 34 pounds of the Peace Bike.
Old 01-01-16, 01:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
For the kind of money these "modern classics" go for, you could buy the real thing

Pashley Roadster, $1500

Random eBay example:
Old 01-01-16, 02:31 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Heavy bikes are just fine if you're in a pretty flat coastal area. All you have to worry about is the wind. But, think about getting something lighter if you're in hilly country. Steel is real. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-16, 03:27 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
There is always the Flying Pigeon or the Indian bike that is modeled on the DL-1. I know that you can get a Pigeon from LA - not sure about the Indian bike. Look around and you can find a Raleigh Tourist (DL-1) for $100 to $400.
Old 01-01-16, 04:04 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
For the kind of money these "modern classics" go for, you could buy the real thing

Pashley Roadster, $1500
Beware the Pashley Roadsters unless it's bonafide vintage (pre-1980?). The quality for the next decade or 2 was poor, bad chrome, galvanized cables and hardware I think the newer models are worth the extra cost as the product seems very good these days.

@kalash74, many people have wanted the bike you describe but the reality is that "updated roadsters" rarely perform much better than the originals. A Raleigh DL-1 is a treat to ride, rod brakes and all. I like the suggestion to modernize a light rigid mtn frame into an upright riding position best of all. Start with a cheap used C-dale hybrid or mtn frame and you've shaved several lbs of weight before dressing it up.
Old 01-01-16, 04:12 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Heavy bikes are just fine if you're in a pretty flat coastal area. All you have to worry about is the wind. But, think about getting something lighter if you're in hilly country. Steel is real. Happy New Year!
There is no benefit I know of from the extra mass. I can think of several detriments which accrue.
Old 01-01-16, 04:13 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Have a look for a Raleigh Sports, Superbe or Tourist. I routinely see them pop up for less than $100 and you get the real deal. You'll come in far under the price of modern versions so you can spend a bit to customize it to what you'd like such as a Brooks saddle and nice racks/tires/new rims, lights, etc.
Old 01-01-16, 04:14 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I'm all for Peace Bicycles.

And long walks on the beach, cute puppies, ......
Old 01-01-16, 04:18 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

I've never ridden rod-brake DL1, but I have a lot of time in the Raleigh Sport, Raleigh Superb higher-end three speed (1020 or 2040 steel), and my own pre-Raleigh Hercules three speed. These bikes are still out there as low as $5 each in working condition. There were several sizes, but it's somehow not as critical. They all had a quick, sprightly feel and could get you through city traffic briskly. Work on gear adjustment, bearings (all), rim trueing, and brake adjustment.
Old 01-01-16, 05:24 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I'm all for Peace Bicycles.

And long walks on the beach, cute puppies, ......
Soooo....you're available?
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-03-16, 10:01 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Find a decent 80's model 12 speed vintage Japanese ride that weighs in at around 28 lbs. Look for one that has the shifters on the stem and turkey lever brakes. Remove handle bars, stem, brake levers, & brake cables. Replace with upright handle bars, upright stem, & flat bar brake levers. Re-cable brakes. Voila' - for about a $250 investment you can have a bike that's better than a new Pashley Roadturd.
Old 01-03-16, 01:09 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It has a hi ten frame.

I'd spend twice as much and get a Pashley Guvnor with a Reynolds 531 frame.

You do pay for what you get.
Old 01-03-16, 03:01 PM
kalash74

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
It has a hi ten frame.

I'd spend twice as much and get a Pashley Guvnor with a Reynolds 531 frame.

You do pay for what you get.
As much as I would love to own a Pashley Guvnor, this offering from Peace Bicycles is a different breed. 26" tires with Fat Franks--my interest in it is mostly due to this feature. In fact, there isn't really a whole lot in common between the Peace Bicycles offering and new manufacture Dutch or English roadsters. I currently own two 28" wheel English roadsters (used to own much more, including a pair of his and hers Raleigh DL-1's). This one, though, has a German/Danish flair to it. Reminds me of a WWII German military bicycle. Like I said in my original post, it looks like a direct copy of the Velorbis. If I had the cash, I'd just order the Velorbis. But this bicycle is half the cost. Much lighter weight too. Doesn't look like it has sold very much, though, or maybe it's too new? I can't find any reviews on Peace Bicycles.

It's too bad that Peace Bicycles doesn't use chromoly instead of hi-ten steel. And I think the derailleur system is a mistake (internal hubs are the way to go on these bikes). But still, 34 lbs including lighting and rear rack isn't too bad. The headbadge looks really cool, and the skirtguard adds a bit of vintage flair as well (despite being somewhat incongruous for a men's frame). I'm just curious if it is cheaply made (likely in China) or on par with, say, a Linus or a Brooklyn Bicycle or something of the sort.
Old 01-03-16, 05:28 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd recommend the Virtue Encore 5M: it has a cro-moly frame, a Sturmey Archer 5 speed IGH, Kenda Kwest 700 X 32 tires, full drum brakes and is available only in 54 cm.

The Brooklyn Driggs 7 speed derailleur, is a double tube cro-moly bike in two sizes. Think of it as Grant Petersen's Rivendell for the masses.

If you want to buy a bike, the place not to cut costs is not with the frame.
Old 03-12-16, 10:32 PM
Bikelover84

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got one. they are comfy and really slick looking up close. smooth ride. they're pretty light for all the accessories included. wish they had an internal version, but still people turns heads when I ride by. here's a pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bikelover84; 07-29-16 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 01:01 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
These bikes are very cool, and I love them. But they will never, ever be anywhere near "lightweight." So I would also never ride them much
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 03-19-16, 10:01 PM
Bikelover84

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I

I weighed mine. it's 29.8 pounds. i made sure to weigh it correctly which took forever!! this pic is from the Peace Bicycles Dutch Bike Site: What do you ride? How do you get photos to show up haha.

Last edited by Bikelover84; 07-29-16 at 07:02 PM. Reason: add photo/ respond
Old 03-10-24, 06:25 PM
slovak54

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't Buy Peace Bicycles

I bought peace Dutch bicycle (pedal power only) and found it to be a very, very disappointing purchase.
1. The front right brake pad had fallen off in shipping and the nut that holds the pad in place was missing.
2. The brake calipers are the cheapest, poorest quality I've ever dealt with.
3. The mud guard on the sides of the back fender were held in place by bolts that were too long - the scraped against the tire!
4. They shipped me two bicycles instead of one and still haven't sent a UPS shipping authorization to send the other one back.
5. Customer service has never once answered the phone. It rings and rings, and you get a message saying they're busy. They suggest you text them.
6. I finally got a hold of customer service via e-mail and they assured me they would quickly send shorter bolts to hold the rear mud guards in place and the nut to hold the front right brake pad in place. It's been two weeks . . . nothing received.

Spend the extra money and buy a higher quality bicycles than Peace Bicycles.