Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How would you do a 56 mile round trip commute?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: How would you handle this commute?
Get in shape, you weenie, and bike the 76 miles every day on the Schwinn!
10.34%
Take the Schwinn to the train, lock it, and public transit the rest of the way
10.34%
Take the Dahon to the train, on the train, and to work.
62.07%
Take the Schwinn half way every day, and take public transit the other half
12.07%
Other, see below
5.17%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 02:28 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty jealous of you folks who live a "bikable distance" from work. I suppose my commute is bikable, but I need to have energy actually left for work and I'm not in that great of shape. (5'8" tall, 173 lbs.)

I'm in the far north suburbs of Chicago. Two lane roads about 60% of the way in to work. Gravel shoulders with broken glass in them. So I'd have to ride on the road and trust that I not get killed.

However, I do live 1.6 miles from a commuter train. On the other end of the commuter train, it is about 0.6 miles to work.

I have a Schwinn hybrid with no accessories and a Dahon Curve D3 folder.
Old 04-19-10, 02:31 PM
TonyS

Bikes: Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That makes 2.2 miles... sounds walkable. Or you could try the folder.

My dad does 62 every day, so it can be done...
Old 04-19-10, 02:34 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't ride the whole distance. I'd do bike - train - bike.

If I rode my bicycle the full way to work I'd have a 50+ round trip commute. Right now, I do 3.5 miles to the regional bus stop, grab a regional bus, then its another 1 mile from the bus stop to my destination. It has worked beautifully for me.
Old 04-19-10, 03:02 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I commute from Chicago to Carol Stream a few days a week. My car commute is 31 miles one-way. When I bike commute, I take an express bus to Elk Grove Village and use the Busse Woods bike path and suburban streets to reach my office. The biking portion is 17 miles, one-way.

Where do you live and where is your office? You should be able to ride more and still avoid un-safe conditions.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-19-10, 03:07 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I used to commute 50 miles round trip. Since I also road weekends I limited my bike commute to two or three times a week.
Old 04-19-10, 03:14 PM
pharasz
Member from- uh... France

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My round trip commute is 37 miles. I don't have the TIME to do that every day, so I only do it two days a week. I'm about to move 10 miles further away, and I don't have TIME to do 57 miles. It is not the distance which stops me, it is the time involved. To cut the time I will probably drive 10 miles to a park 2 blocks from where I live now, then ride my bike the rest of the way, keeping the commute at 37 miles round trip.
Old 04-19-10, 03:15 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Commute by car or bus is 22 miles roundtrip. By bike it goes up to 48 miles r/t, with a few big climbs and some dangerous traffic. I only bike commute on rare occassions. Just sucks too much out of me, including time, for a work day.
Old 04-19-10, 03:26 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride one way, take the train home. Take the train back to work the next day and ride home.
Old 04-19-10, 03:28 PM
JeremyZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You make it sound fun. I live in Round Lake Beach (60073) ad work in Northbrook. (60062)

One time, while driving it in rush hour, I figured my average speed to be 20 mph. It takes an hour and a half or a bit more at that time of day. I figure I could average 10-15 mph by bike and only take a bit longer.

Taking the folder for the 0.6 mile train to work leg doesn't seem worth it. It'd take almost as much time to unfold the bike as it would to ride it, hehehe.

I'm leaning toward bike-->train-->bus, at least until I get into better shape.

But who knows, if you are aware of some great bike route through the woods, I might be all over that.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I commute from Chicago to Carol Stream a few days a week. My car commute is 31 miles one-way. When I bike commute, I take an express bus to Elk Grove Village and use the Busse Woods bike path and suburban streets to reach my office. The biking portion is 17 miles, one-way.

Where do you live and where is your office? You should be able to ride more and still avoid un-safe conditions.

Michael
Old 04-19-10, 03:30 PM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
56 miles round trip is in the neighborhood of 14k miles per year. There are randonneurs who do not ride that many miles a year. And even for them, that's likely to be in the 3.5-5 hour commute range. Building up to riding that on a daily basis would take years. It is a reasonable long term goal, but it is a no kidding long term goal.

I'd start with the more attainable goal of riding in with the train's help. As you get stronger, it will be easy to start chopping train time off the route by getting on a stop later or getting off a stop early.
Old 04-19-10, 03:49 PM
JeremyZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked Google Maps, and they have an option for bicycling. It seems to add about 10 miles though.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=10&lci=bike

Anyway, it seems to be a pretty neat feature; it seems to try to route the cyclist to avoid main roads. However, it makes it into a 60 or 70 mile commute.
Old 04-19-10, 03:52 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, but I'd drive.
Old 04-19-10, 03:55 PM
TonyS

Bikes: Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
56 miles round trip is in the neighborhood of 14k miles per year. There are randonneurs who do not ride that many miles a year. And even for them, that's likely to be in the 3.5-5 hour commute range. Building up to riding that on a daily basis would take years. It is a reasonable long term goal, but it is a no kidding long term goal.

I'd start with the more attainable goal of riding in with the train's help. As you get stronger, it will be easy to start chopping train time off the route by getting on a stop later or getting off a stop early.
Not necessarily true. It took 3 months for my dad to start doing 62 miles per day (he started by riding to the bus, then to a different bus stop, then all the way in) and though he was a serious bike guy, this was a serious amount of mileage for him that he hadn't done in quite a few years.

@OP: If biking is something you enjoy doing, get out there and do it! You only get one life, and you'll waste it if you listen to others telling you what you can and can't do. Get out there and find out what you can do first-hand. If you want to ride the bus at first, great! That sounds like a great plan! If you're a little more adventurous and want to try riding the whole thing, I'm not going to stop you... just give us a report on how awesome it was.
Old 04-19-10, 03:57 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
I just checked Google Maps, and they have an option for bicycling. It seems to add about 10 miles though.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=10&lci=bike

Anyway, it seems to be a pretty neat feature; it seems to try to route the cyclist to avoid main roads. However, it makes it into a 60 or 70 mile commute.
You can drag the route google gives you to travel on other roads.
Old 04-19-10, 04:02 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
Ride one way, take the train home. Take the train back to work the next day and ride home.
+1 for kuan's suggestion. Maybe you have to build up to this if it seems too much at first. From there you continue to build... no telling how long, if ever, you'd get to doing it full each day. But if you could, you'd have my admiration.
Old 04-19-10, 04:08 PM
JeremyZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this mileage doable with a recumbant bike? I hear they are much less draining and much easier to ride big miles on. They're super-expensive though, and big & clunky too.

The overwhelming majority of the votes is to use the folder. I haven't tried it before, so I think I'm going to do that. I've been shying away because the roads are so bad here, those little 14" wheels just deliver a punishment to my butt.
Old 04-19-10, 04:09 PM
JeremyZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some bad math in the poll. It would be 56 miles round trip, not 76.
Old 04-19-10, 04:40 PM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were to do a ride that long I'd need something a little stronger than water and maybe some kind of power bar to get me adjusted. Ick. I'd have to use 2 full water bottles for sure just going one way.
Old 04-19-10, 06:25 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I know a guy that something close to that, sounds fun.

I would ride the whole distance if I didn't have to carry too much in my messenger bag.
Old 04-19-10, 06:46 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I had a 72 mile round trip commute years ago- and my job was loading trucks- a pretty exhausting job. I was working only 3 or 4 days a week and would sometimes bum a ride at least part way back with fellow employees. But it damned near killed me to do it. Basically, all I felt like I was doing was working or riding to work or eating/sleeping and attempting to recover. And it was brutal in bad weather.

The trick is to break the ride up. Once in a while ride 1 way and get a ride back or take the train. Maybe on a Friday in the midsummer when there's plenty of daylight do the round trip but I wouldn't even try to make it a regular ride as a round trip unless you're in phenomenal shape and/or have no other life.
Old 04-19-10, 07:01 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
If I wanted to use the commute for exercise, I hope I would have the motivation to walk to and from the train at both ends of the train ride. Rides of 1.6 miles and 0.6 miles are trivial, but walking those distances every day would really do you good.

The 1.6 miles could be walked in 25 min and the 0.6 miles in 10 min. If the 25 min first part was too long, then I would ride the Schwinn for the first leg and leave it. You don't need the Dahon at the other end, and it would actually be a pain to have to tote it on the train and look after it all day.

On the way home, you could always take the Schwinn for an extra spin if you felt restless.

Last edited by cooker; 04-19-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 07:23 PM
opie

Bikes: 2012 Venge, 2011 Transition, Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat with a MUCH shorter commute. The best bike route I've mapped out is about 9 miles but always includes at least 1 "dangerous" road at some point. On the other hand I can ride 6.2 miles to the train stop and then make 3 stops on the train and be right under my building.

is there another train stop further down you could ride to? Maybe a 5-10 mile ride then jump on the train? That way if you're tired on the way home, ride it all the way out, if you feel good stop early and ride more?
Old 04-19-10, 07:50 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At 56miles you are risking some burn-out if you do it everyday. Cherry pick the nice days.
Old 04-19-10, 07:51 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
.. Building up to riding that on a daily basis would take years. It is a reasonable long term goal, but it is a no kidding long term goal.
Dunno about years. I built up to it in 6 months. But you're right, that's the key.. build up to it.
Old 04-19-10, 07:55 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you take your bike on the train? If so, you could get off at a stop a few miles from work and ride the rest of the way.

Forum Guidelines *click here*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.