Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One hand discomfort

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One hand discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 01:14 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
One hand discomfort

I notice on my flat bar bike my left hand is more prone to get some tingles and sleepiness where as my right hand is fine.

I do notice I have more pressure on my left hand, Bc there is more imprint on it after I知 done my rides.

im beginning to wonder would riding a road bike on the hoods be worth trying ?
I was thinking of renting a road bike (endurance) to see if hoods position be more comfortable than flat bar, or would this not help my concerns ?
Old 12-26-20, 03:03 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Are you using "regular" round grips or ergon style grips? Got any riding friends that might have a bar with more sweep that you could try? You could also try moving the bar so that one side is closer to, or further away from that hand to see if it helps. Sounds like you are riding while gripping the bar too hard: " there is more imprint on it after I’m done my rides."--try loosening up your grip a little, no need to grip it so hard that it leaves an imprint.
Old 12-26-20, 03:24 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Are you using "regular" round grips or ergon style grips? Got any riding friends that might have a bar with more sweep that you could try? You could also try moving the bar so that one side is closer to, or further away from that hand to see if it helps. Sounds like you are riding while gripping the bar too hard: " there is more imprint on it after I知 done my rides."--try loosening up your grip a little, no need to grip it so hard that it leaves an imprint.
so what I知 saying is I naturally have more weight on the left hand on the flat bar causing tingling, is it worth try riding a different handle bar? Maybe riding on the hoods would fix the issue? The grips are fine
Or is the more pressure on one hand going to be same
Old 12-26-20, 04:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
I had issue with Carpal Tunnel and that caused a lot of numbness when I rode my bikes. I ended up having surgery to relieve the right hands issue as it was worse that the left. For the most part the only time I had issues was when I was using power equipment when mowing he grass or riding my bike, they seemed to aggravate the nerve more than anything else. It did not matter what kind of bike I was riding either. I also got rid of my gas powered equipment and replaced them with battery powered equipment.

Old 12-26-20, 04:37 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I don't know why there is more pressure on only one of your hands but you can try raising your handlebar, it will take some pressure off your hands. Ergon grips are also more comfortale than round grips.
Old 12-27-20, 07:03 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Change for a thicker handlebar tape
Change for gloves with more padding at the palm or gel
Try a more flat surface handlebar to distribute pressure evenly
if symptoms get worse during night time because of your wrist position, get wrist neutral orthosis
get carpal tunnel cortisone injections or carpal tunnel d馗ompression if problem persists