Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

People Love Old Bikes But New….Meh

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

People Love Old Bikes But New….Meh

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 08:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
It's easy enough to find a custom frame builder who will make a lugged frame using the latest heat-treated and air-hardening steel, which will weigh maybe two pounds more than the latest cf wonderbike's frame. Put on some modern components (STI, low-profile cf rims, etc) and you can have a sweet ride that will draw plenty of attention.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-16-21, 08:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"From an engineering perspective most of them are pretty crude."

Remember this 50 years from now as today's designs are considered crude. Every generation has its limits based on the advancements in technology. For example there is nothing crude about the Titanic, in fact it was considered an engineering accomplishment at the time, and still is considered as such. Aside from the armor issue it had, the thing was an outstanding piece of architecture and used the latest maritime engineering. Not crude, simply limited by technology.
Mate, I worked in F1 design, where even a decade makes everything look old and crude. But in my "engineering" lifetime the big game changer was the move from cottage industry to professional led design and engineering. The same thing has happened in the bike industry over the last couple of decades. There are now a lot more qualified engineers working to professional standards than there were 20+ years ago, when it was still a free-for-all. Modern bike design is now pretty much like the automotive or even aerospace industry. It's not a few random guys in a shed making it up as they go along anymore.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-16-21, 08:29 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Several years ago three of us guys (all active on the BF C&V forum) rode in an annual event here in Oregon, known as the Monster Cookie Ride. As we were leaving the lunch stop/halfway point to finish the ride, an older gentleman on a newer CF road bike, saw us and commented "Hey, looks like you guys dragged the vintage bikes out of the garage!" As he was riding away, one of our small group commented, "Otherwise known as 'the bikes.'"

I've always owned older bikes by default, as I usually haven't had the means for anything else, and as a former road racer, I quit road racing at about the same time as STI and clipless pedals came onto the scene (mid-late 80s). So in a sense, I was "stuck in the past," and frequently turned my nose up at the new stuff. When I'm out riding, or just out and about, I usually notice vintage bikes, and usually don't pay much attention to newer bikes. Sometimes people comment on my vintage bikes, mostly they don't. If I'm sitting outside a coffee shop or such, I do see some folks checking out my bikes, both younger and older.

These days, I'm mostly a pragmatist. I like the look and aesthetic of vintage bikes, but for me it's mostly about the ride. I recently purchased a 2010 Ritchey Break Away, which is now the newest bike I own. After assembling it and taking it for a ride, I was blown away by the performance and ride quality, as compared to my vintage bikes; there is simply no comparison. Granted, it is still a steel bike; I don't see myself owning anything else, and in fact have a custom steel Hampsten Strada Bianca on order. I also get tired of trying to source the appropriate parts for the vintage bikes, which are often worn out, if used, and very costly, if NOS.

I will continue to keep one or two of my vintage bikes for the foreseeable future: one for vintage-themed rides, and one for fenders and winter riding. Later on, I will probably replace the fendered winter bike with something like a Soma Pescadero or similar. To me, the modern steel bikes with modern components have a lot to offer.

I will continue to appreciate the vintage bikes of others, or really any bike that the owner seems to appreciate and take good care of. Maybe some folks will comment on my bikes, maybe they won't. I don't think I'm a very approachable person, generally speaking, but I'm always willing to discuss bikes, if they do.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 12-16-21, 08:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I'm curious -- anyone know about what year the turning point occurred in move from eg. steel to CF. IOW, when did road bike unit sales of CF-framed bikes start to exceed steel and/or alloy? I guess need to stipulate for higher end bikes since alloy road bikes are still sold by the large bike makers.
Old 12-16-21, 09:09 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
I find that the bike that gets the most attention is my only carbon fiber bike; the ICAN Fat Bike. No ugly decoration, just a matte carbon frame, wheels, and handlebars. Add in the 4.8 inch tires and it looks like it is a lot of fun to ride in the snow, which it is! It seems to draw comments from 7-10 year old boys, along with the old guys who hang out on the streets in our downtown area. Hey, maybe its the Brooks saddle?

Next in line is the tandem, because two old people riding on that bike are just plain "cute". Add the paniers and put us away from home, and people seem to want to know who these people are that are bicycling through their part of the world.

My 1982 Peugeot CFX10? The one with Campagnolo group set and a Mavic Starfish crank? The only person who has ever mentioned it was a fellow who was riding by me on an old Klein. To most people it is just another bicycle.
Old 12-16-21, 09:21 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, probably because it's a controversial subject. Perception.

Guy on old bike with the components upgraded to the best of the day or best of modern day. "He's awesome!" Keeping that old warhorse on the road and got the matching kit as well. Living the dream.

Guy on new bike with some upgraded components or not. "What a tool!" All he wants to do is brag about his bike. Telling me he just ordered some new wheels that cost "only $2000" to save 1/2lb. On a bike he's only had for 2 weeks. I don't give a **** how much his bike weighs. Now he's talking about his buzzy hubs. What's with the black kit? I bet his first name's Richard.

It might be best for both types to keep quiet until someone actually asks you about your bike. Or your life, for that matter. You don't want to look like you're spreading the FIGJAM or throwing out the humble brag.

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-16-21 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-16-21, 10:30 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, but in 50 years, will you be saying that Kia Sportage is drawing the crowd over the 2070 Hyperdyne Systems XYZ model?
well, i doubt it
the oldtVINTAGE huffy is not yet DRAwing a crowd
Old 12-16-21, 10:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm curious -- anyone know about what year the turning point occurred in move from eg. steel to CF. IOW, when did road bike unit sales of CF-framed bikes start to exceed steel and/or alloy? I guess need to stipulate for higher end bikes since alloy road bikes are still sold by the large bike makers.
I don't know for sure, but I bought my first carbon road frame in 1996 (Cadex) which was round carbon tubes bonded to aluminium lugs. I remember it was a bit of a novelty at the time among a sea of steel frames and I only bought it because it was on sale at a great price - presumably because they weren't selling very well. But it rode really well and I kept it for nearly a decade before selling it on to a work colleague when I switched to mtb riding. When I made that switch to mtb around 2004 most high-end mtb frames were still aluminium. It was another decade (2014) before I bought my first carbon mtb (Specialized Enduro) and that still had an aluminium rear end. I think by that point carbon road frames had been mainstream for a good few years, but I wasn't in the market for a road bike in that era. When I got back into road cycling again in 2019 everything was of course carbon above a budget price level. Except for the boutique world of custom Ti and steel.
Old 12-16-21, 10:43 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
But I admire those bikes knowing that mine is an acquired taste. There's nothing inherently beautiful about a bunch of gas-pipe-sized steel tubes joined at ungainly angles, built into a bike with exposed cables flapping in the breeze.
On the contrary, a seventies racing bicycle is the best illustration of the principle that 'form follows function' since the canoe.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Ultimately, it's all a question of fashion. What I'd like to see would be those vintage steel bikes being ridden by people dressed in the outfits worn by the people in the original ads for those bikes. Bell bottoms and Earth shoes!
Making fun of hippies and such has been in fashion since they appeared. Too bad we didn't listen to 'em when they were burying internal combustion engines and talking about Zero Population Growth!
Old 12-16-21, 10:58 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Older stuff is more "crafted," while newer stuff is more "produced."
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Not every old car was a 250 GTO or an E-type
There’s nothing ‘crafted’ about an electroforged Schwinn, or a’65 Impala.
I wasn't limiting "older" to the 1960s and 70s. Interestingly, those electroforged frames did involve a bit of craftsmanship in their manufacture, however.
Old 12-16-21, 11:05 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Road bikes looked mostly the same (horizontal top tube, quill stem, narrow gauge round tubes, box rims) for a pretty long time while modern-style bikes (formed tubes, usually compact frame, threadless stems and STIs) have only been common for less than two decades (a 2001 USPS Trek looks a lot more like an old bike with some material innovation), and yet the claims in this thread are simultaneously that the old style bike both stands the test of time and yet is rare in the sea of bikes most people actually ride. There ought to be a ton of older bikes out given how many were sold compared to modern bikes, but nope.

An old style bike gets comments ​​​​​because most have not stood the test of time. People see the ones still being ridden and posit that there's some exceptional, quaint story behind them. A person riding a penny farthing, or even a dude sporting the old-timey twirly mustache of a rider of one without being anywhere near two wheels, will get a lot of comments too.
Likes For surak:
Old 12-16-21, 11:20 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My first carbon bike was in 1985/86 and was a Vitus Carbonne 9. My next one was about 7 years later, a Kestral 200. There were very few riders or amateur racers on carbon back them. Trek and Lance around 2000-2002 probably was the tipping point for road bikes going CF more and more.

I still have a couple steel bikes but even the 1972 Masi GC can't hold a candle to newer bikes, whether steel, carbon, aluminum, or magnesium. Just the modern design of the shifters and handlebar integration is an absolutely massive comfort improvement over the old brake hoods and Cinelli 66-42 bars.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-16-21, 11:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Tastes great=new bikes.
Less filling=old bikes..

News flash: we prefer what we prefer because we weigh characteristics of the vehicles and their costs according to our tastes, desires, usage of the bike, budget, and our own idiosyncrasies.

From what I've seen, the default rule for an uninvited passer-by is not to pay the slightest attention to the bike someone else is riding or at least not comment about it. We're really discussing the exceptions who come up and talk to you about the bike. It's really a very small percentage of the population that's going to actually be able to spot the difference between, say, a Eurobike and your 2021 Manic Pixie Dream Bike. They will, however, likely be able to spot a bike that looks like something they used to ride, bright colors and shiny trim, "big" bikes like fat bikes and cruisers, and penny farthings.

TBH, I really don't care much about the latest frame geometry trend, new developments in aero design, electronic shifting or whatever, so I'm probably not going to say anything to you about your super-duper carbon bike because that's going to be an invitation for you to make me stand there and nod out of politeness like I give a crap about these things. If I'm going to talk to you, I'll probably say something about the conditions or ask what kind of ride you're on or something where I feel like we could make some mutually interesting small talk. Or I might commiserate with you about the car that just missed hitting you. If you're riding a 1990s steel bike, OTOH, I'm probably going to ask you about it because we both obviously are interested enough in the same type of bike to actually keep it in rideable condition. I'm not saying this is right, or that people who feel and act differently are wrong, but I don't think it's all unusual to seek out people who are in the same niche taste that you are, or to ask people about things you're actually curious about.
Old 12-16-21, 11:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by surak
Road bikes looked mostly the same (horizontal top tube, quill stem, narrow gauge round tubes, box rims) for a pretty long time while modern-style bikes (formed tubes, usually compact frame, threadless stems and STIs) have only been common for less than two decades (a 2001 USPS Trek looks a lot more like an old bike with some material innovation), and yet the claims in this thread are simultaneously that the old style bike both stands the test of time and yet is rare in the sea of bikes most people actually ride. There ought to be a ton of older bikes out given how many were sold compared to modern bikes, but nope.

An old style bike gets comments ​​​​​because most have not stood the test of time. People see the ones still being ridden and posit that there's some exceptional, quaint story behind them. A person riding a penny farthing, or even a dude sporting the old-timey twirly mustache of a rider of one without being anywhere near two wheels, will get a lot of comments too.
Where are you riding that you don't see tons of old bikes? I see people on old Raleighs and Schwinns all over the place. Bikes from the 1980s certainly aren't rare. Hell, look at a Craigslist once in a while, they're a dime a dozen.

For example:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...421454972.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...421466100.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...411560407.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...418865041.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...418397778.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/b...421384662.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/auburn-58cm-viscount-vintage-road-bike/7412922030.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...421347730.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...421344925.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/kirkland-classic-80s-cannondale-road/7421334756.html

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-16-21 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-16-21, 11:53 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Where are you riding that you don't see tons of old bikes? I see people on old Raleighs and Schwinns all over the place. Bikes from the 1980s certainly aren't rare. Hell, look at a Craigslist once in a while, they're a dime a dozen.
A place where it rains and there are hills, two things that old bike enthusiasts are by and large allergic to in much the way I've observed original VW Bug drivers are here.
Old 12-16-21, 11:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

A place where it rains and there are hills, two things that old bike enthusiasts are by and large allergic to in much the way I've observed original VW Bug drivers are here.

Well, I edited the post to include multiple older bikes from Seattle Craigslist.
I ride my older bikes up hills, but I don't like riding in the rain on anything particularly.

Older bikes just aren't rare. It's a silly assertion.
Old 12-16-21, 12:01 PM
surak

Well, I edited the post to include multiple older bikes from Seattle Craigslist.
I ride my older bikes up hills, but I don't like riding in the rain on anything particularly.
You want to show plentiful listings of bikes that people don't want to ride anymore during a global bike shortage as proof of what?
Old 12-16-21, 12:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You want to show plentiful listings of bikes that people don't want to ride anymore during a global bike shortage as proof of what?

Looks like they're getting pretty good prices for them.

All I know is every major city I've ever ridden in has all sorts of 20-50 year old bikes functioning as daily riders. Sorry I didn't take pictures to have a bunch ready for when someone made a silly assertion about older bikes being rare.
Old 12-16-21, 12:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
I was hoping this wasn't going to be a "new is better than old" or an "old is better than. new" thread, but that ship sailed, I guess.
Ummm ... that ship sailed when the OP titled the thread.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-16-21, 12:30 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Ummm ... that ship sailed when the OP titled the thread.
qft
Old 12-16-21, 01:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That is, indeed, what I think catches the eye of other riders about the Battaglin - the bright alloy kit, shiny silver hubs with silver spokes and silver rims, and that beautiful, shiny Chorus crank.

I know it's not me.
80% Chorus gruppo on my Fondriest stolen off the Bianchi. Such heresy, but the Fondriest is Italian too.

Old 12-16-21, 01:17 PM
surak

Looks like they're getting pretty good prices for them.

All I know is every major city I've ever ridden in has all sorts of 20-50 year old bikes functioning as daily riders. Sorry I didn't take pictures to have a bunch ready for when someone made a silly assertion about older bikes being rare.
So you don't ride in the rain but make assertions that old bikes are daily drivers because you see them around when the weather's good.

Again, you're showing that people are trying to get rid of bikes they don't ride despite global pandemic driven demand and short supply of bikes. There are also listings for Wal-Mart bikes and Eurobike take-off wheels in our local Craigslist. Robust demand does not Craigslist listings prove. They are literally bikes that are not being ridden.

I don't have pictures for you but the thread is full of text that you can re-read (being generous with the "re-" part since you haven't demonstrated that you read them the first time):

Originally Posted by Litespud
For me, while modern bikes/cars are better by almost every objective performance measure, old bikes/cars are more interesting - they’re rarer, and they have a history.
Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, in that case, my hypothesis is that there are a lot more NEW bikes out there than OLD bikes, so why would anyone comment on the common? People comment on the UNcommon.
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
An old Ferrari, or Herse, you knew those were special things when they were new, and they’re usually treated as such; the Schwinn and the Chevy were more of a commodity. They’re ‘special’ in 2021, because “you don’t see those anymore” ie, they were (Ed: fixed typo) once common, but now they’re not, as opposed to the things that are rare because they always were special.
Old 12-16-21, 01:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
It's getting chippy in here.

Let's see some Christmas spirit.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-16-21, 01:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So you don't ride in the rain but make assertions that old bikes are daily drivers because you see them around when the weather's good.

Again, you're showing that people are trying to get rid of bikes they don't ride despite global pandemic driven demand and short supply of bikes. There are also listings for Wal-Mart bikes and Eurobike take-off wheels in our local Craigslist. Robust demand does not Craigslist listings prove. They are literally bikes that are not being ridden.

I don't have pictures for you but the thread is full of text that you can re-read (being generous with the "re-" part since you haven't demonstrated that you read them the first time):
Uh, yeah, speaking of rereading, maybe you should notice that two of those just say there's more new bikes than old, and the other one seems to refer to certain older bikes being rare, but hey knock yourself out thinking you've got some kind of gotcha there. Just so you know, "rarer" does not mean the same thing as "rare". Yes, there will be fewer examples of older models of bikes as there is some attrition over time and we also have a much larger population buying bikes now than there were then (not proportionally, perhaps, but the U.S. population has been growing steadily through the decades), but there's a higher proportion of older ones around in functional condition than there would be of pretty much any motor vehicle. I think ten years is old for a car, it really isn't for a bike as far as I can tell.

So are you amending your statement to be that old bikes are rare in the rain? I got news for you, I do drive in the rain, and I don't see a lot of people on new OR old bikes in the rain around here.
Old 12-16-21, 02:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's getting chippy in here.

Let's see some Christmas spirit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.