Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Lemond Road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Lemond Road bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 05:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I doubt it. It would be putting lipstick on a pig. But, I would look really cool.
LOL, good point and well presented! It's the sort of bike I would feel a bit too self-conscious riding. It's a very cool bike for sure, but I think you would need a 400w+ FTP to avoid looking like a bit of a tool on it.
Old 03-08-22, 05:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
LOL, good point and well presented! It's the sort of bike I would feel a bit too self-conscious riding. It's a very cool bike for sure, but I think you would need a 400w+ FTP to avoid looking like a bit of a tool on it.
Interesting take. I thought it rather plain and understated.
Old 03-08-22, 06:48 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by chaadster
Interesting take. I thought it rather plain and understated.
I reckon if you rocked up on it at your local Sunday club ride people would take notice. I've seen guys taking the walk of shame up steep hills with their £12k S-Works and that really isn't a great look! My take is that if you are going to ride a £12k race bike then you really need to have the engine to match it to avoid the "all the gear but no idea" label. Obviously some people just don't care how it looks, but I would at this price-point. I'm only worth a £4.5k bike, lol.
Old 03-08-22, 06:49 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I don’t feel like I’d look like a tool. I’d just look like an old guy who spent a lot on a bike. It’s more than double what I have in my current bike.
Old 03-08-22, 06:53 PM
Mojo31
-------

I reckon if you rocked up on it at your local Sunday club ride people would take notice. I've seen guys taking the walk of shame up steep hills with their £12k S-Works and that really isn't a great look! My take is that if you are going to ride a £12k race bike then you really need to have the engine to match it to avoid the "all the gear but no idea" label. Obviously some people just don't care how it looks, but I would at this price-point. I'm only worth a £4.5k bike, lol.
No different than having more car than you can drive, nicer guitar than you can play, etc.
Old 03-08-22, 06:56 PM
PeteHski

I don’t feel like I’d look like a tool. I’d just look like an old guy who spent a lot on a bike. It’s more than double what I have in my current bike.
Well it often is old guys who spend a lot on a bike. Their last bike and all that. But this particular one doesn't look like an old man's bike. For a start it isn't steel or ti and has fairly deep section rims and dropped stays.
Old 03-08-22, 06:59 PM
PeteHski

No different than having more car than you can drive, nicer guitar than you can play, etc.
I thought that analogy might come up. But to my mind people do often look like a plonka in all those situations too. You can add skis to that list too.
Old 03-08-22, 07:10 PM
Mojo31
-------

I thought that analogy might come up. But to my mind people do often look like a plonka in all those situations too. You can add skis to that list too.
And motorcycles.

I don’t care what people think. I like fast sports cars, tech forward carbon bikes, etc. and will get them till I can’t. I’d rock that Lemond (in blue) even though I’m old and slow.

And, I don’t do steel, Ti, or classic and vintage. If it’s not new, it’s just old. IMHO
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-08-22, 07:54 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The main problem I see with that bike is if the D on the decals rubs off.....................Then you'd be stuck riding a lemon.

i also don't need all of the unnecessary sizzle that comes with the steak. Just sell me the bike at a lower cost. I don't need or want the group rides, giveaways and other fluff BS.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-08-22, 09:38 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts

No Metal Parts

The LeMond 8 is a 100% composite frame and fork, leveraging the latest in carbon fiber manufacturing techniques and expertise from around the world. Every detail from the core structure to each threaded water bottle and brake boss is carbon fiber -- lighter, stronger, while also preventing any possible Galvanic oxidation of the aluminum parts, making them prone to failure.
I hope the dropouts hold up to the repeated insertion and torquing of those fine-threaded thru axles.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-09-22, 07:53 AM
PeteHski

And motorcycles.

I don’t care what people think. I like fast sports cars, tech forward carbon bikes, etc. and will get them till I can’t. I’d rock that Lemond (in blue) even though I’m old and slow.

And, I don’t do steel, Ti, or classic and vintage. If it’s not new, it’s just old. IMHO
I'd give it a go too, but I do generally follow the rule that bike technology should really match your ability. As a more extreme example I wouldn't fancy turning up to a local TT with a skin-suit, aero/visor helmet and the latest and greatest Pinarello unless I was likely to be winning.
Old 03-09-22, 08:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I eagerly await actual pictures and reviews of this bike.

How are all the threaded areas made since they obviously didnt just grind threads into carbon.
How is the X brace in the fork steerer designed and should other brands do something similar?
How is the bike designed to have fully hidden cables, externally routed cables, the 1 piece cockpit, your own cockpit setup, and also self-straighten stems? That seems like a lot of flexibility, which is awesome, but really confusing since nobody else has done it up to now.
Will the LeMond branding on the wheels be slightly off center from the valve tubes and continue to mess with my brain when production bikes are available?
Old 03-09-22, 08:54 AM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Will the LeMond branding on the wheels be slightly off center from the valve tubes and continue to mess with my brain when production bikes are available?
Asking the real questions!!
Likes For FrankTuna:
Old 03-09-22, 09:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I eagerly await actual pictures and reviews of this bike.

How are all the threaded areas made since they obviously didnt just grind threads into carbon.
How is the X brace in the fork steerer designed and should other brands do something similar?
How is the bike designed to have fully hidden cables, externally routed cables, the 1 piece cockpit, your own cockpit setup, and also self-straighten stems? That seems like a lot of flexibility, which is awesome, but really confusing since nobody else has done it up to now.
The pictures show a number of threaded inserts such as for the cage brazeons. I can't imagine that they are made of carbon due to the fragility of threaded carbon. Plus, if the idea is to eliminate galvanic corrosion by threading directly into carbon, then that does not make sense unless you have carbon screws. Some of the descriptions just seem implausible. Anyway, if I were a buyer I wouldn't want to be an early adopter.
Old 03-09-22, 09:23 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
It's an attractive bike, and, if I had $13k burning a hole in my pocket that didn't have a better use (like college fund for the kids or new windows for the house or kitchen/bathroom remodel or nice vacation with the wife), I'd consider it. Unfortunately, my budget has no room for such a bike at this time (nor do I need something like that).
Old 03-09-22, 09:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna
Asking the real questions!!
Well yeah, its something that I have thought of each time I have seen a rendering of the bike. My eyes are apparently drawn to the slightly off center logo. Maybe that is what they want? Maybe I am odd? Either way, its noticeable.

To bring things back to serious- the progressive chainstay geometry is interesting for an aero road bike at this price. My main road bike has 430mm stays and is a 65cm frame so I am certainly not complaining that the largest LeMond frame has 430mm stays. At the same time, I do recognize that I am not the target market for an aero road bike and 430mm stays are not common.

Oh, and what happened to LeMond Composites or whatever the company was 5 or 6 years ago that was going to revolutionize carbon fiber manufacturing? That company had rights to some technology that was developed at a national laboratory which was going to allow for low cost high volume carbon manufacturing. Based on pricing, that technology clearly is not utilized in this bike. Why wouldnt they use their own revolutionary technology?
Old 03-09-22, 08:59 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
The pictures show a number of threaded inserts such as for the cage brazeons. I can't imagine that they are made of carbon due to the fragility of threaded carbon. Plus, if the idea is to eliminate galvanic corrosion by threading directly into carbon, then that does not make sense unless you have carbon screws. Some of the descriptions just seem implausible. Anyway, if I were a buyer I wouldn't want to be an early adopter.
I interpreted the description as pretty explicit in saying the threaded areas are fully carbon. The reason why galvanic corrosion is a concern on other carbon bikes is because everyone else utilizes threaded aluminum inserts bonded into the carbon frame, and when you use alloy screws with alloy inserts you can get galvanic corrosion. Hence, you can eliminate galvanic corrosion as a possibility through the use of fully carbon threads, which allows the end user to use any metal screw they want and not have to worry about galvanic corrosion.

I, too, am interested about the durability of threaded carbon.
Old 03-09-22, 09:39 PM
Mojo31
-------

Actually, I’d be more concerned about the galvanic corrosion caused by the contact between the carbon threads and metal fastener:

Despite all of the excellent properties of CFRCs, there are issues with using carbon fiber reinforced compositesand metals together. The carbon fibers in CFRPs cause this material to become electrically conductive. The carbon fibers are electrically conductive and electrochemically very noble. Therefore, when a metal is electrically connected to a CFRP, it is more susceptible to galvanic corrosion. (To learn more about galvanic corrosion, read An Introduction to the Galvanic Series: Galvanic Compatibility and Corrosion.)

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galva...olymers/2/1556

I’ve had experience with fastening fittings to carbon fiber sailboat masts and booms. Tapping and threading directly into CF does not make for a connection that is very durable. Better to bond a threaded insert to the carbon with an epoxy. At least that’s been my experience.
Old 03-10-22, 07:15 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
If FTP dictated what type of bike you should be riding, I'd be on a 40+ lb Huffy single speed with coaster brake. I describe my bike (carbon fiber frame and wheels, aero bars, Di2) as a Ferrari with a Briggs & Stratton engine. However, I do look fast at the rest stops!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-10-22, 07:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm of a mind that people don't need to earn the right to ride an expensive bike by way of performance - they just need to earn the money to buy it.

That said, I do think that a bike needs to fit the rider and the ride. If you need a 5cm stack of spacers under your stem and your bars need to be higher than your saddle, you're doing yourself a disservice by buying an aggressive racing frame. Likewise, showing up to a casual, family-centric cycling event in full kit and race bike is a bit of a wanker move.

The cost of the equipment really doesn't factor, though, IMO - if someone wouldn't be incongruous on an Allez, I think they'd be just fine on a LeMond, too.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-22, 09:24 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm of a mind that people don't need to earn the right to ride an expensive bike by way of performance - they just need to earn the money to buy it.

That said, I do think that a bike needs to fit the rider and the ride. If you need a 5cm stack of spacers under your stem and your bars need to be higher than your saddle, you're doing yourself a disservice by buying an aggressive racing frame. Likewise, showing up to a casual, family-centric cycling event in full kit and race bike is a bit of a wanker move.

The cost of the equipment really doesn't factor, though, IMO - if someone wouldn't be incongruous on an Allez, I think they'd be just fine on a LeMond, too.
Yeah, it's all about matching rider to bike and situation. To me this looks like a pretty racy bike and so I would want to do it some justice if I was going to be shelling out that kind of money on it. You could easily look like a wanker on it in certain scenarios. This is a bike that needs to be ridden fast in my view. Otherwise what's the point? There are other equally expensive bikes that are less race oriented and probably better suited to slower riding. I do like it though. It is a very sharp looking bike.
Old 03-10-22, 09:35 AM
PeteHski

Actually, I’d be more concerned about the galvanic corrosion caused by the contact between the carbon threads and metal fastener:

Despite all of the excellent properties of CFRCs, there are issues with using carbon fiber reinforced compositesand metals together. The carbon fibers in CFRPs cause this material to become electrically conductive. The carbon fibers are electrically conductive and electrochemically very noble. Therefore, when a metal is electrically connected to a CFRP, it is more susceptible to galvanic corrosion. (To learn more about galvanic corrosion, read An Introduction to the Galvanic Series: Galvanic Compatibility and Corrosion.)

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galva...olymers/2/1556

I’ve had experience with fastening fittings to carbon fiber sailboat masts and booms. Tapping and threading directly into CF does not make for a connection that is very durable. Better to bond a threaded insert to the carbon with an epoxy. At least that’s been my experience.
When it comes to machining threads directly into carbon, it can be done successfully if the right sort of carbon fibre is used in the design e.g. discontinuous fibre in an epoxy matrix. it's certainly not a good idea to just tap a hole into any random carbon fibre laminate. I presume Lemond have taken all this into account in the design of the carbon structure to make it machining friendly.
Old 03-10-22, 10:30 AM
Mojo31
-------

I hope so too. Like I said, I'm not a buyer, but if I was I would not be an early adapter. I'd want to watch this one for a while to see how they hold up.
Old 03-10-22, 10:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
To me this looks like a pretty racy bike and so I would want to do it some justice if I was going to be shelling out that kind of money on it.
What does "do it some justice" mean? If bike fits you and fits your needs, that's all the justice that needs be done, IMO. Do strong riders not get recovery rides? "Hey Bob - where's the LeMond?" "Recovery ride - can't; this old Emonda is my <2.5w/kg bike."

That's silly, IMO.

You could easily look like a wanker on it in certain scenarios.
Sure, but the scenarios don't include those in which any other road bike, of a similar purpose, would be appropriate. Rolling up to a C group ride on it? Sure - why not?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-22, 10:42 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It is an elite level racing bike. But with the cost of ownership, doubtful anyone but a professional will actually be racing it. A person has to have some deep pockets to risk crashing it in the local crit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.