Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Aeolus advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bontrager Aeolus advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-22, 01:11 PM
Athleticsushi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager Aeolus advice

I’m hoping to get some guidance on saddle set up for the Aeolus. It’s a great saddle but trying to find that sweet spot is very tricky. I have saddle height down and fore aft tuned in but I’m struggling I believe with the angle. Here’s my dilemma:

level it front to back with the middle of the saddle level… really good contact with sit bones but tingling and slight soft tissue numbness and a little upper inner thigh rub

leveling the nose only I find myself rolling way too forward into soft tissue and even my pelvic bone. I have no platform to stabilize my pelvis? I also get soft tissue issues.

It’s the best saddle I’ve ever owned and just looking for guidance. Even if you don’t have the same saddle any curved saddle really.

i am very unstable in my pelvis. I feel most stable when I start tilting it up quite a bit. I want to get some longer rides in but struggling to do that.

anything would be great! thanks in advance
Old 03-16-22, 06:15 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
I ride the Aeolus and think it really works well if you ride with a lot of hip flex in an aero position. It really starts to work in that position with good support towards the rear and getting out of the way elsewhere, but I don't think it is suited to a more upright style just by the nature of its design. If you are not often riding in that aero position or have a hip impingement that keeps you from comfortably holding a horizontal riding position, it may not be the right saddle, and maybe something like a Selle SMP saddle can give you that platform feel for your pelvis?

This aside, did you follow these recommendations (see image) with the 2 degree down tilt as a starting point?
Old 03-16-22, 08:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Athleticsushi
I’m hoping to get some guidance on saddle set up for the Aeolus. It’s a great saddle but trying to find that sweet spot is very tricky. I have saddle height down and fore aft tuned in but I’m struggling I believe with the angle. Here’s my dilemma:

level it front to back with the middle of the saddle level… really good contact with sit bones but tingling and slight soft tissue numbness and a little upper inner thigh rub

leveling the nose only I find myself rolling way too forward into soft tissue and even my pelvic bone. I have no platform to stabilize my pelvis? I also get soft tissue issues.

It’s the best saddle I’ve ever owned and just looking for guidance. Even if you don’t have the same saddle any curved saddle really.

i am very unstable in my pelvis. I feel most stable when I start tilting it up quite a bit. I want to get some longer rides in but struggling to do that.

anything would be great! thanks in advance
Are you sure it's such a great saddle -- for you? Seems like it's giving you some trouble.
Old 03-17-22, 08:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If you are being pulled forward and the saddle is fairly level or just a tad nose down, then it's telling you where the saddle really needs to be. A little more forward of it's current position. Though if your bike is grossly oversized for you, then that might be a thing that you'll have quite a time trying to fix.

If you have any numbness in your perineal area, you need to stay on top of that and solve it. Perhaps this isn't the saddle for you. Cutout size and shape can make a difference. Also for thigh rub the width of the nose and for cheek rub the shape of the saddle as it broadens out.
Old 03-19-22, 03:37 PM
Athleticsushi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=yaw;22441386]I ride the Aeolus and think it really works well if you ride with a lot of hip flex in an aero position. It really starts to work in that position with good support towards the rear and getting out of the way elsewhere, but I don't think it is suited to a more upright style just by the nature of its design. If you are not often riding in that aero position or have a hip impingement that keeps you from comfortably holding a horizontal riding position, it may not be the right saddle, and maybe something like a Selle SMP saddle can give you that platform feel for your pelvis?

This aside, did you follow these recommendations (see image) with the 2 degree down tilt as a starting point?

hey thank you for replying!!!!! i took your advice and tilted it down with it being -1.5 at the nose. It was better power and perceived exertion at a specific wattage. I’m unsure as to what Bontrager’s graphic means. Is that tip to tail ? Or just that the noise should be -2.

can you elaborate more on what you mean by hip flexion? do you mean hip hinge? I tend to overkill my forward hip roll so I’m working on keeping my position strong.

thank you for your advice.
Old 03-19-22, 03:37 PM
Athleticsushi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Are you sure it's such a great saddle -- for you? Seems like it's giving you some trouble.
i know…. I’ve tried way too many saddles and honestly this one is the best I’ve ever tried. I know it’s me and not the saddle.
Old 03-19-22, 03:40 PM
Athleticsushi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are being pulled forward and the saddle is fairly level or just a tad nose down, then it's telling you where the saddle really needs to be. A little more forward of it's current position. Though if your bike is grossly oversized for you, then that might be a thing that you'll have quite a time trying to fix.

If you have any numbness in your perineal area, you need to stay on top of that and solve it. Perhaps this isn't the saddle for you. Cutout size and shape can make a difference. Also for thigh rub the width of the nose and for cheek rub the shape of the saddle as it broadens out.
Thank you for replying. i found out my bike was too big for me recently. I’m assuming this is also playing a role in my discomfort. I changed the stem to a 70 abs could probably go shorter than that. I’m waiting for the new roadies to come out to choose something that will be better size and geometry for me. I’m currently riding a 54 @ 5’6
Old 03-19-22, 06:26 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
As a suggestion, I use a flat object (clipboard, wooden plank, whatever - as long as it is long enough to completely cover the saddle from tip to tail) to lay on top of the saddle then put my iPhone on top of that to and use the built-in level to measure saddle tilt adjustments. The key here is repeatability -- you never have to worry if you're measuring tilt from exactly the right place as before. I'd recommend starting level, then go for a ride and see how it feels (take notes). Then go to -1. See how that feels. Then go -2, etc. Eventually you'll figure out what measurement works best for you, and you can easily replicate that angle with this method.
Old 03-20-22, 03:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
....... i found out my bike was too big for me recently. I’m assuming this is also playing a role in my discomfort. .......................... I’m currently riding a 54 @ 5’6
Yeah, depending on what model bike it is, I'd say it's definitely too big. If this was a new purchase and the shop wasn't trying to talk you out of that size, then I'd politely in a friendly way try to tell them how badly they wronged you for letting you buy that bike. Maybe they'll offer you a better deal on your next bike or something. Might be something you have to repeatedly bring up every time you take it to the shop.

Or else just go to another shop for your next bike.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-20-22 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-20-22, 05:55 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
I’m currently riding a 54 @ 5’6
There is a general problem with people thinking their height determines the frame size, going off size charts, and so on.

I'd say your height puts you in the ball park of 2-3 frame sizes to begin with.

Then the ratio of your legs to torso/arm length, along with flexibility, will determine the rest, with some reach adjustments to dial it in.

I think everyone should invest in a good bike fit during the grace period of their bike purchase, then swap and dial in if required, and keep a set of measurements for future adjustment and purchase reference.

I am not an expert bike fitter by any stretch but based on what I learned in my own session alone, it's very telling to see how many random riders I see out there have some really compromising fits and riding positions.
Old 03-20-22, 05:58 PM
Athleticsushi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
There is a general problem with people thinking their height determines the frame size, going off size charts, and so on.

I'd say your height puts you in the ball park of 2-3 frame sizes to begin with.

Then the ratio of your legs to torso/arm length, along with flexibility, will determine the rest, with some reach adjustments to dial it in.

I think everyone should invest in a good bike fit during the grace period of their bike purchase, then swap and dial in if required, and keep a set of measurements for future adjustment and purchase reference.

I am not an expert bike fitter by any stretch but based on what I learned in my own session alone, it's very telling to see how many random riders I see out there have some really compromising fits and riding positions.

for sure! Sorry I oversimplified it! But it always has felt like I’m reaching with my frame. I’ve had many fits with several fitters in my area. I rode outside with it today and it was pretty decent. Wish it was like that inside haha!