Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Position

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Handlebar Position

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 11:16 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Handlebar Position

I'm trying to decide on whether I should adjust my handlebar position up slightly or get a shorter stem. I'm 6'4" and I ride a 61 Specialized Roubaix. My bike fitter suggested a130 stem. I have Specialized Aerofly bars that are flat bars. Should the flat part be level? If the bars are flat, I feel too stretched out. Should I tilt my bars up or get a shorter stem?
Old 04-09-23, 11:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I think you should try changing various things until you find out what you prefer. It might take some time to get use to it too. So don't just go back to your old ways if the new way isn't actually causing you more pain or grief.

It's not clear if the 130 mm stem is what you have currently or just still a suggestion of your fitter. If you haven't tried the 130 mm stem then you should try it. You can always put the old back one.
Old 04-09-23, 01:49 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I am on a130mm stem.
Old 04-09-23, 01:54 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Stem most likely OK so just go up about a centimeter...
Old 04-23-23, 06:23 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I'm trying to decide on whether I should adjust my handlebar position up slightly or get a shorter stem. I'm 6'4" and I ride a 61 Specialized Roubaix. My bike fitter suggested a130 stem. I have Specialized Aerofly bars that are flat bars. Should the flat part be level? If the bars are flat, I feel too stretched out. Should I tilt my bars up or get a shorter stem?
Yes to both questions. The Aerofly is a square bend, meaning the ends of the drops are roughly parallel to the tops. Align the levers so the tops are dead horizontal or slightly raised in front. You can pull in the reach of the levers if they're too much of a stretch from the drops. And if you're feeling stretched out, by all means use a shorter stem.
Old 04-23-23, 06:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I'll suggest what I do for all handlebars - ride them with no tape except enough electrical to get the cable housings to behave. Bring all the wrenches for the stem, bars and brake levers, Rotate bars and slide levers until you can do a full ride without wanting to change anything. Now address reach and handlebar height.

When you get close on the handlebar rotation and brake levers, you can tape the bars with cloth tape wrapped from the bottom. When you change the reach, you almost certainly will want to tweak the rotation and levers. Cloth tape wrapped from the bottom is easy to unwrap to the levers, move the levers and re-wrap.

I find taking shortcuts is setting myself up for: doing work twice or more, settling for less comfort-wise or probably throwing out barely used expensive bar wrap. (I notice with these bars that if the top of the bend isn't horizontal, neither is the wing. Think positive thoughts. If you like the bar turned down, it's a spoiler for better tire traction on corners. Up - less rolling resistance. )
Likes For 79pmooney: