Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bridgestone RB1 Restoration and Build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 04:37 PM
JustinHorne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts

Hey all!

Wanted to share about a recent project I did. I’ve been passively hunting for a fairly high end vintage-ish steel frame for a while now. I wasn’t actively looking for an RB1 per se, but I wanted something in that late 80s, early 90s timeframe with decent tubing and a good rideable group.

I stumbled on a clean-but-modified 92 RB1 in yellow here in Seattle and jumped on it. The prior owner had owned it since new, but faced declining health. To counter this, he had modified it with a triple (Mavic 631, interestingly enough,) as well as a threadless conversion for more front end height and lower gearing in the back.

The actual frame itself was in good condition, but I did end up having to basically close my eyes and purchase nearly all new components. I had basically known this upon purchase, of course, but I ignored the problem.

My goal was to take it back to what I describe as “Period correct with some upgrades.” I’m not a restomod guy; I have a brand new Time ADH that keeps me happy on the modern front. Personally, I prefer Downtubes to bar ends, so I put some NOS 600 8sps on instead of the from-factory bar ends. I couldn’t find the proper stem anywhere, and I needed new bars anyway, so I did a Nitto cockpit. 600 cranks were weirdly expensive, so I swapped in a DA for just because. I pulled over a Brooks saddle from another build. Lastly, I had to move to a different BB as the Mavic 610 didn’t work with the DA, so I swapped in a Tange LN3922.

Overall, I’m very happy with the build. If you’re interested, I also made a ~15 min video documenting the whole process and going into more detail.

Enjoy!

Builld video:

Before

After

Old 12-29-23, 06:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
That's a sharp looking bike.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-29-23, 06:25 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Super cool. I'm building an '89 KHS lugged bike with a 7410 cranks and 105 drivetrain.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-29-23, 06:40 PM
JustinHorne

Originally Posted by Kontact
Super cool. I'm building an '89 KHS lugged bike with a 7410 cranks and 105 drivetrain.
Very good! Aesthetically, I prefer the 7410 over the 7400 cranks, but the years didn't work for me. I have no actual knowledge of this, but seeing as Shimano let the FC-6400 run for over a decade, it seems they brought the 7410 in line with that design language (in 94) vs the more angular shapes of the 7400 from 88-93. I didn't want to mismatch the years, but yeah, 7410 looks great.
Likes For JustinHorne:
Old 12-30-23, 01:20 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Very nice. Would be nicer still if you could find a matching rim for the front.
Old 12-30-23, 01:42 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 156 Posts
Nicely done. An improvement over the original and still in keeping with the period.
Old 12-30-23, 07:11 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Verrry nice. My sole remaining road bike is 8-cogger from the next year. Much like your PO I've had to alter my cockpit a little to fit my own declining health too, but I din't go for no threadless dealy. One of the great beauties of these later Ribbies is their willingness to change. Enjoy it.
And oh yeah - what'd you do with the old crank & seat?
Old 12-30-23, 07:54 AM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 90 Posts
My favorite paint scheme for the RB-1.
I've had my eyes open for one in my size in my local market for many years but they seem to be like hen's teeth.
Can't imagine why anyone ever thought that "starfish" crank was a good look for a high end lightweight bike.
Old 12-31-23, 04:25 AM
JustinHorne

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Very nice. Would be nicer still if you could find a matching rim for the front.
Agreed! I'm passively browsing eBay for a hoop to build up, but I'm in no rush (Especially with the Seattle rainy season in full force.)

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Verrry nice. My sole remaining road bike is 8-cogger from the next year. Much like your PO I've had to alter my cockpit a little to fit my own declining health too, but I din't go for no threadless dealy. One of the great beauties of these later Ribbies is their willingness to change. Enjoy it.
And oh yeah - what'd you do with the old crank & seat?
Originally Posted by Sierra
My favorite paint scheme for the RB-1.
I've had my eyes open for one in my size in my local market for many years but they seem to be like hen's teeth.
Can't imagine why anyone ever thought that "starfish" crank was a good look for a high end lightweight bike.
Yes, I was surprised to see it crop up!

The Starfish and seat are both in a box. Unsure what I'm going to do with them. The starfish is the triple variant, and I've got the 610 to go along with it. IMO, it didn't fit aesthetically on that bike, but I think I may keep it and use on whatever I build next. I really need to get rid of some bikes, though. :/ lol. I like the DA crank much more.
Likes For JustinHorne: