Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old guy new jersey

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old guy new jersey

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 11:23 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Saw Pink Floyd live for The Wall concert. It was amazing. The built a wall across the Sports Arena while the concert was going on, and used it in the show. Watching the "Comfortably Numb" guitar solo, with a light shining behind the performer in a little missing brick of the wall was unforgettable.

I heard they actually lost money on that tour with all the money spent on special effects and surround sound. I believe it.

I was lucky to get the tickets by lottery. Probably the best concert I have ever seen.

I also saw a tribute band up in Mammoth Lakes last summer, and they played DSOTM start to finish. That was awesome too.
childhood neighbor / friend saw Pink Floyd - they also built a wall during the show … and I believe they ‘blew up’ the wall near the end of the show
Old 03-25-24, 11:24 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by Eric F
As an almost-mediocre guitar player, I can appreciate Gilmour's playing, but the music never connected with me.
how about Led Zeppelin / Jimmy Page ?
Old 03-25-24, 11:35 PM
t2p

I don’t wear rock band shirts / jerseys etc while riding - but often change into a rock band shirt after a ride … before we stop for an after ride drink / meal at a brew pub etc

have a fairly good selection of rock band T shirts from flea markets over the years … too many actually - although littlest t2p did sell some on eBay (some vintage rock band shirts bring good $ )

some of my favs include a Tool shirt … Strawberry Fields Beatles shirt … of course the standard Pink Floyd DSOTM shirt … Ramones …
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-26-24, 06:43 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
childhood neighbor / friend saw Pink Floyd - they also built a wall during the show … and I believe they ‘blew up’ the wall near the end of the show
On the album, the protagonist is tried and is sentenced to have his “wall” torn down. At that point, the giant wall that was constructed across the arena during the concert was knocked over. Great stuff!

They didn’t have many concerts here in the US. Only 2 in New York and 2 in LA. I saw the second show in LA.

The first show in LA had a near catastrophe. In part of the concert, a flaming airplane crashes into the wall. That was planned, but what was not planned was the wall to be set afire. 😮

It should have induced panic, but the crowd thought it was part of the show and stayed put while the fire was extinguished.

They were also probably stoned. I’m pretty sure I was. 😬
Likes For Biker395:
Old 03-26-24, 09:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
how about Led Zeppelin / Jimmy Page ?
Zep much more so than Floyd. The Who never did much for me, either. Or The Grateful Dead. Maybe I'm too young (55), but a lot of my friends were listening to those bands. Van Halen is the first time I was truly blown away by a guitar player.
Old 03-26-24, 10:19 AM
t2p

Zep much more so than Floyd. The Who never did much for me, either. Or The Grateful Dead. Maybe I'm too young (55), but a lot of my friends were listening to those bands. Van Halen is the first time I was truly blown away by a guitar player.
one of my regrets - passed on an opportunity to see Van Halen … 1978 … oh well …

of course the group of guys that went raved about the show / EVH …

EVH was the motivation for at least one of my (younger) friends to learn guitar … and he later built an EVH replica guitar

Last edited by t2p; 03-26-24 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-26-24, 10:25 AM
t2p

I have almost 10 on you - but in addition there were a number of kids in my neighborhood that I hung around a bit that were 4-6 years older than me … they exposed me to a lot of music … one played guitar - my next door neighbor was a drummer …

they were heavy into muscle cars and dirt bikes etc - I was just getting into mini bikes etc and they were my go-to’s - mentors and ‘wrenches’ … probably reluctantly at times lol
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-26-24, 10:34 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by spelger
With Bob geldof. It was really quite good. Was just thinking about that film on yesterday's ride.
the movie might be described as a bit disturbing … ? … not a surprise … but the album made more sense after watching the movie
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-26-24, 11:23 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
one of my regrets - passed on an opportunity to see Van Halen … 1978 … oh well …

of course the group of guys that went raved about the show / EVH …

EVH was the motivation for at least one of my (younger) friends to learn guitar … and he later built an EVH replica guitar
My sister (7 years older) went to HS with the VH brothers, and went to a couple of backyard parties where they were playing. VH is - among a few others - one of the bands that I really regret not seeing live. As much as I tried to become a decent guitar player, I always struggled to really advance. Bass, however, was a much better fit for me, and I became a better bass player than I ever was a guitar player. I don't play much of either very often these days.
Old 03-26-24, 01:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
the movie might be described as a bit disturbing … ? … not a surprise … but the album made more sense after watching the movie
yeah. i hadn't really a clue either when that came out. just a dummy in the 8th grade of course liking Another Brick in the Wall Part 2. i've come to despise very much not like that song now.
Old 03-30-24, 07:38 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
After reading the long thread about old guys in team jerseys I thought I would post a pic of my latest purchase.
How is this for cool?

That’s super cool. I just can’t ride in a black jersey, so I have been staring at and not buying that jersey.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 03-30-24, 08:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Saw Pink Floyd live for The Wall concert. It was amazing. The built a wall across the Sports Arena while the concert was going on, and used it in the show. Watching the "Comfortably Numb" guitar solo, with a light shining behind the performer in a little missing brick of the wall was unforgettable.

I heard they actually lost money on that tour with all the money spent on special effects and surround sound. I believe it.

I was lucky to get the tickets by lottery. Probably the best concert I have ever seen.

I also saw a tribute band up in Mammoth Lakes last summer, and they played DSOTM start to finish. That was awesome too.
Roger Waters played The Wall up here 5 years ago, and it was positively a tour de force. The music, the lights/graphics, were positively stunning. The helio and the machine gun sounds went right through us. A concert I will never forget.

One of my other faves is The Division bell. Can’t count how many times and what types of states I was in listening to all their albums.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-08-24, 09:36 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
I didn’t plan to do this but after the eclipse ended I went to my local lake to ride. I wore this jersey and some Dark Side of the Moon bibs I bought. I thought after how cool it was and was a little bummed nobody noticed. 😄