Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Waterproof Cycling Jacket suitable for a bent?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 03:58 AM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts

It is coming up to winter here very fast and I need a new jacket to keep the rain, hail and sleet off on my daily commute. Are there any bent specific waterproof jackets out there? Do I just have to get a standard cycling jacket and hope it doesn't leak?
Old 05-03-07, 06:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've had the best luck with anorak-style jackets. They don't have a full-length zipper, and even where their zipper is, they have a layer of waterproof behind it. On my bents, water always pools on my chest or tummy, and zippers always let the water in eventually. In heavy rain, I find water runs up my arms and pools at my elbows, so try to get tight cuffs to minimize it. Ditto the rain pants - you want a tight cuff at the ankles. Fairings help, too.

Actually, when I commuted by bike, I saved my bents for good weather and just took my hybrid in the nasty stuff.
Old 05-03-07, 09:14 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wore a Viking Tempest II jacket straight through the winter. Fully waterproof, with every zipper either waterproof or covered by a flap. It's surprisingly warm considering there's no insulation layer. It also has several zippered vents, because it doesn't breathe well otherwise (due to the aforementioned waterproofness). Don't know if it's available in NZ, though.
Old 08-22-07, 06:37 PM
Giro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also consider kayak paddeling jackets. They usually have tightly fitting cuffs that reportedly prevent rain from entering your sleeeves and then running into your jacket if your recumbent has over seat steering. They may tend to cost less.

Always use VERY bright lights front and rear so that you are seen by motor vehicles. Turn them on both day and night.

Finally, all the postings I've read state you will get wet some, either from perspiration, rain, or both.
Old 08-24-07, 06:47 PM
gew0419

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport, Schwinn Mesa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sweat inside my rain gear or I get wet from the rain. Either way I get wet, so I gave up on the rain gear. However, I am an Oregonian and we have webbed feet and water resistant skin, so don't listen to me.
Old 08-24-07, 10:43 PM
trailwarrior

Bikes: 2014 Muru Mungo, 2014 Surly ECR, 2006 HP Velotechnik Scorpion,2001 ICE Trice Micro,1995 Specialized Globe 7,1979 Schwinn LeTour IV Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
It is coming up to winter here very fast and I need a new jacket to keep the rain, hail and sleet off on my daily commute. Are there any bent specific waterproof jackets out there? Do I just have to get a standard cycling jacket and hope it doesn't leak?
Burley Nor'wester Recumbent Jacket on Sale
https://suncyclecenter.com/itemdetail...gId=39&id=1384

For colder weather you can add layers beneath the jacket.
Old 08-24-07, 11:06 PM
JunkyardWarrior

Bikes: royce union (univega) full susp mtb, work trike, assorted extra bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would look for something made out of gore-tex..................but it can be pricey
Old 08-25-07, 02:09 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by gew0419
I sweat inside my rain gear or I get wet from the rain. Either way I get wet, so I gave up on the rain gear. However, I am an Oregonian and we have webbed feet and water resistant skin, so don't listen to me.
I am not an Oregonian, but I've lived here for years. My advice is that if you're going to bike in the rain, you need to come to terms with getting wet. Fighting inevitability is a futile exercise in frustration.

I do not wear rain gear, and I ride year 'round. When it is cold, I wear neoprene so that I'll still be warm even if I'm soaked.
Old 08-25-07, 09:12 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You won't stay dry if your biking vigorously in a rain jacket, but with the correct layers you can be warm and comfortable. Get a wicking shirt that fits snug against your skin to pull the moisture away. Add an insulating layer appropriate to the temperature and then your rain jacket. Keep in mind if you are warm standing around before the ride you'll be too hot once the pedals start turning.

If you use several thinner layers and a shell you'll have lots of options to meet the conditions as they change throughout the day/night.
Old 08-26-07, 07:45 AM
gew0419

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport, Schwinn Mesa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I am not an Oregonian, but I've lived here for years. My advice is that if you're going to bike in the rain, you need to come to terms with getting wet. Fighting inevitability is a futile exercise in frustration.

I do not wear rain gear, and I ride year 'round. When it is cold, I wear neoprene so that I'll still be warm even if I'm soaked.
That's all I'm saying, Fred.
Old 08-27-07, 10:45 PM
MOADIB64
Utah Trikes

Bikes: WW Race, WW Cruiser, WW Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Gore-Tex

I have a Gore-Tex Paclite jacket and pants that are great.
Extremely light weight and can be packed into a small bag.
They have velcro around the wrists and ankles and a hood, so I stay dry.
I got them at Cabelas.