Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifting question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 01:47 AM
Beanus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifting question

Hello all, first time poster.

Well I'm new to cycling and just bought a 2009 fuji roubaix with 105 front derailer and ultegra rear. I've found that it is somewhat difficult to switch to the big front ring when in little rear gears and some times the chain just comes off completely. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there's an adjustment I can make to correct this? Also when I push the black lever on the left handle it makes a loud click, not a subtle one like the right side. Is this normal? Thanks in advance for the help,
Old 02-23-11, 02:44 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Shifting isn't all about mashing the levers to their mechanical stops, there's a bit of "feel" to it. There are limit screws that sets how far the derailer can go, but if you set them too tight upshifts can become hesitant or even completely locked out. You need a balance between a decently tuned bike, AND the knowledge not to shift too hard.
It shouldn't be a frequent thing, but I think it's a mishap we've all have tried occasionally.

Easing up on the pedals will usually make shifting a lot smoother.

The left/front shifter/derailer move in a bigger step than the right/rear, so there's good reason for it to be less smooth than the right/rear. But whether your still is louder/rougher than expected can't be determined over the net.
Old 02-23-11, 03:20 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Beanus
Hello all, first time poster.

Well I'm new to cycling and just bought a 2009 fuji roubaix with 105 front derailer and ultegra rear. I've found that it is somewhat difficult to switch to the big front ring when in little rear gears and some times the chain just comes off completely. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there's an adjustment I can make to correct this? Also when I push the black lever on the left handle it makes a loud click, not a subtle one like the right side. Is this normal? Thanks in advance for the help,
A properly setup front derailleur will not allow your chain to be thrown no matter how you shift. It's a derailleur adjustment problem.
Old 02-24-11, 07:58 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
A properly setup front derailleur will not allow your chain to be thrown no matter how you shift. It's a derailleur adjustment problem.
I concur. If by now you don't trust your local shop to adjust your derailleurs properly, Shimano has step-by-step instructions on the web: https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...tech_tips.html. Read "Front Derailleur Installation" and "Trim Function."
Old 02-24-11, 08:26 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The instructions for setting up and adjusting derailleurs found at www.parktool.com can be very helpful. It is important to do them in proper sequence leaving nothing out.