Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

5'-5" and back problems

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

5'-5" and back problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 02:36 PM
The Outlier

Bikes: Fuji Crosstown 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
5'-5" and back problems

Hello. I am new to the forum. I have been a rider since the 80s and still like to ride 20 or 30 miles when I have the time. Riding is my main form of exercise because I haven't been able to run since 5th grade. Last year I was on a weight loss program and got down to 145 lbs. I have been told for years the no pain no gain philosophy of exercise, and that if you are overweight, most of your health problems come from that. So when I lost this weight, I thought it was a good time to see if I could run. There was a local 5K charity for some kid. 3 miles did not sound far to run. I hurt for about half of the run, but figured it was just from my body not being used to running.

I felt great that night, and then rode a few miles in Damascus Virginia, (incidently this was the same day a motorist struck like 50 riders at a parade there last year.) There was a local church that ran a lodge which fed the bikers and hikers there, and I was a volunteer. The very next day I developed sharp pain in both hips after walking for more than 10 minutes, and now the pain has gone into my lower back. This has persisted about a year now. I am about to buy a new bike but don't know which one will be good for my back long-term. The bike I currently ride is a Giant Boulder SE. I bought it 9 years ago and it has been a good bike. I have noticed a few back problems after riding, but its hard to trace where the pain is coming from- if its bike related or if it is from other forms of over exertion. Today I test rode a recumbent bike, a road bike and a Fuji mountain bike with raised handlebars. The only one that was comfortable was the recumbent bike but the one I currently ride has never been uncomfortable. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as experience with fitting bikes for short people with back pain? Im only 35 so I will get a recumbent bike if I have to, but feel silly on one. I have been told that a 16" frame is best.

Sorry if this is not the best forum to place this discussion. If one of the mods wants to move this to another thread, they can.
Old 07-21-14, 02:45 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
First, make sure you are properly fitted for your bike.
Then go see a chiropractor. I had back problems for decades and they are all but gone now. When I did have back pain, I found riding a road bike better than my hybrid.
Old 07-21-14, 02:54 PM
The Outlier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^Thanks for the reply. Sorry for so many details in one post. I am trying to get a new bike within the next 2 weeks.
Old 07-21-14, 03:02 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go see a doctor to find out what's wrong. Ideally find a Sports Medicine Clinic. Strangers on the internet can't accurately diagnose complex health issues. There are numerous potential problems with the lower back and hips. The doctor will probably recommend that you go to physical therapy, so find a PT clinic that is familiar with sports and cycling. They are more likely to be helpful.
Old 07-22-14, 04:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Make sure you are properly fitted to the bike you intend to buy.

I have found most of these mysterious pains resolve with exercise. I recommend doing core work. I use the routines in Core Advantage.
Old 07-23-14, 04:27 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I tend to back problems which are mostly well controlled but I do daily core exercises. I also have a troublesome right knee that behaves when I do knee exercises. Otherwise it acts up and causes worry with respect to how bad it may get.
Old 07-24-14, 06:24 PM
The Outlier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did buy a bike- a Fuji Cross fit 1.1. It fit pretty good in the store and is more adjustable. So far upon bringing it home for a ride it needs a few things. It came with one of those dumb wide seats with the springs. Once I get a real seat, then it should fit better. Its hard to tell with Fuji. Dealers say they are up to par with Giant, Trek and Specialized. Most of the parts look good. Some appear to be cheap. We will see.
Old 07-25-14, 06:15 PM
The Outlier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got it to fit. It now rids better than my old one. Now I can ride in peace.