Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ever contemplate your mortality on the road?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 01:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Later. Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius.
Old 05-26-15, 01:43 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Short term-wise, bike commuting is my only "high risk" activity considering the unpredictable drivers out there. I'd get my will in order if I ever need to get on an unfamiliar and dangerous road, or take a taxi (think John Nash ). But long term, we are likely better off than many. Maybe some day when we are 90 we'll ask: Is today the day when I can't ride bike any more?

p.s. Here in NYC people get pushed to death from subway platforms by strangers.
Old 05-26-15, 01:46 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
How about mortality from just sitting on the couch and doing nothing?
Old 05-26-15, 02:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Well, yeah, there's that. Bike commuting is probably not a particularly dangerous activity. Arguably, it is safer than car commuting, but that depends on how you measure it.

It's still worth learning how to do it safely, and for me, that means always aiming to improve. Whenever I have a close call, I ask myself if I'm responsible, at least partially, and how I can prevent a recurrence. I do this when I drive a car, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-15, 02:51 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very well. Aurelius's Meditations is good stuff. Many could do well for themselves by studying Apatheia.

Last edited by jfowler85; 05-26-15 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 03:25 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
!
Now that is something truly dangerous.
Old 05-26-15, 03:31 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
A friend talks about considering bike-commuting an extreme sport, and I think I am with her.
Old 05-26-15, 05:54 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think about the possibility of being ran-down or hit every single time I see some poor dead critter in the road. Every. Single. Time.
Old 05-26-15, 06:25 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
There were a few occasions when I thought I could lose my life due to some wrong-way salmons
Old 05-26-15, 06:33 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I'm more in fear for my life when I drive my car on the interstate through the downtown area during rush hour.

Before I get my bike on the road, I mitigate risk to a certain extent. Helmet, high visiblity, good route, safer time of day and day of week, plenty of water.

I suppose I would have a few moments of reflection if I was involved in a violent incident before the ambulance arrived.
So far, no worries.
Old 05-26-15, 07:08 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
If I didn't contemplate my mortality, I don't think I would have preserved my life this far.
My thoughts exactly! As you ride more you would develope more technics that would help you stay alive and even thrive in traffic. To me South Florida is one of the worst places to ride and I know I'm not invinsable, however, I have develope technics that help me be better in traffic. Stay safe!
Old 05-26-15, 09:03 PM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have these negative thoughts too, I think it is just anxieties from being expose to too many negative news, news like when a cyclist get hit on the road, and also the way that cyclist safety advocates are trying to sell the info about bicycles and cars crashing. You know the safety campaign on bicycles can have some damages on the amount of people riding bikes too.
Some people even think that the moment they get to ride a bike on the road they will die and all that is produce of the safety advocacy on bicycles. Just think about it, an accident happens and there is the same chance if you are in your car, or if you go on your bike, or even if you go out walking or jogging. Accidents are accidents.

Time to turn off the news show.
Old 05-26-15, 10:13 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Since I started riding again 7 years ago, I've probably only had 2 or 3 close calls that gave me pause. It didn't bother me after the fact. Maybe it's because my sons are grown and I have life insurance or something. I mean, I don't have a death wish, but if you could pick a way to die, wouldn't you rather do it cycling?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-26-15, 10:44 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Some times I think about it, especially when riding on a narrow road with cars coming at speed from the front. A distraction/ a sleepy driver/a sudden swerve and that's it.
Old 05-27-15, 06:16 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride the sidewalks when I commute in to work. I tried riding on the road a few times, and it's a little scary on the faster streets that I would normally ride (speed limits 40-50 mph). The speed differential between me and the cars is a bit too much for me.

Even when I had a motorcycle, I'd get close calls every once in a while.
Old 05-27-15, 08:51 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I guess I never really picture death, even that one time I was getting my head duct-taped to a backboard to get put into an ambulance. And in fact, the people I know who have had dire injuries (mostly paralysis) have been recreational riders (mtn biking or road biking) (I know racers don't consider it recreational but they weren't getting paid...) not commuters. Although there have been 2 commuters severely smashed up in hit and runs here in recent years. Plenty of commuter fatalities in the news though, from up in Seattle. Motorcycle fatalities down here more than bicycle.
Old 05-27-15, 09:16 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
"rock the handlebars or act a little wobbly"
Doesn't that define to take the bike a bit out of straightness; out of perfection from driving in a straight line?
As "rock the handlebars" does. Shaking the steering does.

Motor vehicle drivers, depending on (people who live in) the state that you drive in that method: those m-v drivers of the metro attitude are most likely to think of you being a druggie. One who be high. As why you can't drive in a straight line.
Even the p-d will stop you/harass you. Go as far as a blood test. The only was out of this be if you were disabled.
actually, you are wrong on this... it is recommended for motorcyclists to do this very thing to catch the attention of drivers, guess this guy either saw one of the youtube videos on this technique or came up with it independently...
Old 05-27-15, 09:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Serious bicycle wrecks causing death are rare enough that they make sensational news stories.

Could you imagine how unsafe cars would seem if every crash resulting in occupant death were to be reported? They'd need a 24 hour, round the clock channel or 3 devoted to it. Yet people get in cars every day with nary a thought of their mortality.
Old 05-27-15, 09:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Serious bicycle wrecks causing death are rare enough that they make sensational news stories.

Could you imagine how unsafe cars would seem if every crash resulting in occupant death were to be reported? They'd need a 24 hour, round the clock channel or 3 devoted to it. Yet people get in cars every day with nary a thought of their mortality.
Right. Our approach to danger is not rational. Our perception of danger is inversely proportional to how often we do something, not to how dangerous it is. We ride in or drive cars frequently, so we don't ponder the danger much.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-27-15, 10:21 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I try not to think about it, but we had a local cyclist killed here this past weekend. Driver was drunk and high. He could have killed anyone though. Not just a cyclist.
Old 05-27-15, 10:40 AM
RR3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Often. I ride with front and rear lights.

My wife and son have standing orders. If a vehicle hits me and I die, the offender gets my lawyer on their tail for a few years for whatever outcome that can be achieved. In my opinion if a driver is texting and they kill a cyclist, they texter should be tar and feathered or at least drawn and quartered......just so my view if clear.
Old 05-27-15, 10:44 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Right. Our approach to danger is not rational. Our perception of danger is inversely proportional to how often we do something, not to how dangerous it is. We ride in or drive cars frequently, so we don't ponder the danger much.
Freakonomics » The Season of Death: A New Marketplace Podcast

Yup.
Old 05-27-15, 11:09 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I can't say I think about it all that much. But because of this thread I might think of it more. In 2 years and many thousands of miles commuting on rural 2-lane roads, I can only recall one time where I really came close to having to bail, when this motorist tried passing me over a blind hill as I continued to motion for him to stay back, and another car came the other way right over the hill. That was scary. Otherwise I use various methods and techniques that keep me as conspicuous and predictable as possible.
Old 05-27-15, 11:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Actually, in one of my most serious contemplations of mortality, the Road served as a relief:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My magic moment when I realized what makes cycling fun (important) to me was at a lunch with two doctors about 20 years ago. We got to talking about the vicissitudes of life, like sudden death, or trival symptoms as harbingers of a serious disease. We eventually came around to that old chestnut to live life to the fullest everyday.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner, said, “Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me.” I was already an avid cyclist and cycle commuter, and that clicked with me, any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.
Old 05-27-15, 02:03 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've thought about it a couple times as I ride my bike on fast, busy two-lane highways, but really don't fret about it. For what it's worth, I could very possibly die in my sleep from a handful of causes or slip in the shower and hit my head just right. We all take risks in the everyday things we do. Although, it does makes one think twice whether wearing a helmet, hi-viz clothing and having bright lights are really worth it as what good is being seen if the driver of the car that hits you is intoxicated or asleep?

I know I'm not invincible, I simply live each day as if it were my last.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.