Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Stack/reach question

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Stack/reach question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 12:37 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Stack/reach question

Please feel free to move or delete if this is the wrong forum. It seemed like this was the best place for geo advice, but I might be wrong.I've always loved lugged frames, and growing up in the 70s and 80s, I always loved Japanese bikes (I currently have an old chrome Japanese-made Super LeTour 12.2 I really like, but that's it). I'm thinking of ordering a classic, lugged Panasonic touring bike from the factory in Japan (exchange rate is great right now). Unfortunately, Japan is pretty darn far from California, and they aren't exactly common here since they're imports, so I'm left to muddle with frame geometries online.

I'm 5'9" with short legs (30' jeans inseam, probably 31.5" PBH) and particularly short femurs, which means I tend to be a little long in the torso, and usually get bikes with the longest top tube I can find while still perching on them--and steep seat angles and slack headtube angles and long front-center (which this Panasonic has--basically a gravel geo) are my friend.

The 530mm frame seems to be the best fit, though when I compare it to my Lynskey Sportive current roadbike, there are some notable differences:

The 530mm Panasonic has:
  • 18ish mm more reach (though maybe with the steep ST angle, that's not a big deal?)
  • 48.5mm less stack (but maybe not so surprising, since it has 7mm less BB drop?)
Assuming the Lynskey fits OK. any thoughts on how the Panasonic might fit? The goal is "cruisy randonneuring with a handlebar bag for 100+ miles rides."
Old 04-18-24, 02:10 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I'm pretty sure stack and reach are measured relative to the BB, so a higher BB won't give you a higher stack. 18mm reach is within the range of what you could adjust with the stem. 2" less stack is perhaps expected because will it use a quill stem? How many spacers are you using on the Lynskey?
Old 04-18-24, 03:55 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 2,523 Posts
Stack and reach are definitely measured from the bb. 2" of stack is a lot. I can imagine a bike meant for a quill stem will have less stack, but I wouldn't wouldn't expect to lose more than an inch. And looking at OP's link, the lynsky doesn't have that much of a head tube extension above the top tube. OTOH, they do seem to be about the same size bikes.
Likes For unterhausen: