Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

wanted a stem -- got the shaft.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

wanted a stem -- got the shaft.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 08:49 PM
dcbikeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ragboy
I appreciate the input, but your analogy doesn't work. We're talking about a $30 stem and bike fit, not $500+ tires. And when you sit in a car, you pretty much know if it "fits" or not.
Cheap b*stard, pony up the cash. Then sell the old one.

Last edited by dcbikeguy; 01-05-08 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 08:55 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say they are doing just fine by their reaction. This is something that should of been brought up when you first bought the bike, or at least within the first week. A month is a long time, winter or no, and I think at this point you should just count your loss and buy a stem that works. Several people suggested the Ebay method, so go for that if need be.
Old 01-05-08, 09:05 PM
kdboxerdog
kdboxerdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never expect anything, be happy when you get something. I have developed a relationship with my LBS, staff and owner, because I buy there, I stop by and say hey if I am riding/driving by, I participate in the different events they put on, and I wear their jersey on race day(and I am not a race leader). I have never asked for a discount or freebie and I would say I have never paid retail (often SIGNIFICANTLY less). I now count these people as friends and it wasn't anything I intentionally set out to do. These are good people and if they charge me for it, hey, they are a retail establishment that needs to stay afloat. If they can cut me a deal, I am confident they will. Without grinding them. I know people who often shop there and "grind" them for every last dollar and I cringe when they do it.

That being said, I think stem swap should be standard everywhere, but you should check policies when you lay down the cash. Buyer beware. I would suppose I kept coming back to my LBS (which really is out of my way) because I was never treated like this.
Old 01-05-08, 10:04 PM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcbikeguy
Cheap b*stard, pony up the cash. Then sell the old one.
It has nothing to do with the money. I only mentioned it for the analogy that was used. It's the principal -- when I drop $1,200 on a bike at the LBS, I expect them to be able to swap out a $30 stem after a couple rides to fit me better. A $30 stem is nothing to me, but I won't be buying it there on principal alone, period.
Old 01-05-08, 10:09 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
It has nothing to do with the money. I only mentioned it for the analogy that was used. It's the principal -- when I drop $1,200 on a bike at the LBS, I expect them to be able to swap out a $30 stem after a couple rides to fit me better. A $30 stem is nothing to me, but I won't be buying it there on principal alone, period.
I agree. I wouldn't do business with them again.
Old 01-05-08, 10:12 PM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input. After reading these posts it confirmed my initial thoughts:

I've spent more than $3,000 at this LBS (two bikes, clothing, equipment, etc.) over the last 2 years. After this experience and reading everyone's input, I've come to the conclusion they'll no longer see any of my money.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
Old 01-05-08, 10:27 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where exactly is The Land of Hookers and Blow? Because its sounds more fun then where I live. And I say good riddance to that place....sounds like PBK is getting new customer.
Old 01-05-08, 10:39 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrobinofcoxly
Get a proper fitting early on, and avoid wasting the LBS's time fiddling over stems that you expect for free.
Fits change - especially for a beginner who just bought their first bike. (Not the OP, just in general.)
Old 01-05-08, 10:52 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Fits change - especially for a beginner who just bought their first bike. (Not the OP, just in general.)
And that is exactly why you shouldn't expect them to keep up with your changing needs at no cost.

I've come to the conclusion they'll no longer see any of my money.
I guess they won't be invited to your birthday party, either.

Last edited by Sirrobinofcoxly; 01-05-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 10:58 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I would have hoped for a freebie trade but it would not be a big deal either way......as long as the store was cool about it and at least ate the labor and smiled while they did the swap.
Old 01-05-08, 11:22 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the input. After reading these posts it confirmed my initial thoughts:

I've spent more than $3,000 at this LBS (two bikes, clothing, equipment, etc.) over the last 2 years. After this experience and reading everyone's input, I've come to the conclusion they'll no longer see any of my money.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

big baby...
Old 01-06-08, 01:36 AM
PhilThee
Downhill Racer

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB1, 2006 Cannondale R1000, 2007 Cannondale Caad9 Optimo2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me that if they would have done a proper fitment session in the first place you wouldn't need a shorter stem.

This really makes me question if they should be doing this "service" at all.
Generally the more you ride the more flexibility you will gain thus the possibly of needing a longer stem or perhaps a deeper seat to bar drop.

Last edited by PhilThee; 01-06-08 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-06-08, 02:30 AM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Bikes: Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do what I do and use it as an excuse to upgrade....
Old 01-06-08, 02:41 AM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Fits change."

This is sage advice. I just feel for the poor bike store owner who, on the [also sage] advice of BF members has possibly lost a customer?

This is democracy, I suppose.

*shrug*

Sounds like the OP got what he was after: confirmation.

If you really think about it, it isn't that big a deal. It's not even a question of principle. But I'm simple .. and have disposable income that I like to burn every now and then.
Old 01-06-08, 06:32 AM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
big baby...
That's a possibility, I suppose. I didn't intend for it to sound that way.

I've never been in the bike shop business, but my sense tells me that if you can make a regular customer happy through a simple stem swap, which would keep him as a regular customer, you would do it. Otherwise, you run the risk of alienating a regular customer.
Old 01-06-08, 06:36 AM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrobinofcoxly
And that is exactly why you shouldn't expect them to keep up with your changing needs at no cost.
I'm talking about a simple swap-out after my second ride on a new bike. Not coming in six months later after 1,000 miles expecting freebie service.
Old 01-06-08, 09:24 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by agilis
I used to own a shop. I would have swapped stems for you. Then again, maybe that's why I went out of business?
Here's an anecdote for you agilis:

Bought a new bike and after riding it for a couple of days, I got the bars to where I wanted them. So I took the bike by the shop to get them to cut off the extra steer tube. I told the ConeHead that I had bought the bike there but he said that they still had to charge me $20 for labor. I was a little annoyed and decided that after this visit, I was never going to return to the shop.

Then the owner comes out and is about to ring up the charge when he says "you bought that bike here didn't you? Well, there should be no charge for that work".

That turned my opinion 180 degrees and I promptly bought $40+ worth of tools, tubes and a chain. Furthermore, that shop will get future business and recommendations.

Last edited by ExMachina; 01-06-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-06-08, 09:35 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I bought a $1200 road bike at my LBS last month. Finally got a break in the weather to take it out. I felt a little stretched out so I swung by the LBS where I bought it to swap for a shorter stem. I explained them the situation (new bike, etc.) and they said they had to charge me for a new stem.

Am I out of line by thinking they should've swapped the stem for free?

I walked out without the stem. I think this is BS, but wanted other's experience...
Not that it matters, but my opinion is that it is well within reason to expect the shop to swap the stem.

Hell, you want to talk unreasonable? I once had a bike shop swap my ENTIRE FRAME after a month of riding the too-small old one! Now that was above and beyond! And I'll be damned if I didn't buy a second bike from them within the year--coincidence? No. It's about who you trust.
Old 01-06-08, 10:14 AM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
lets think about this logically. If you buy a $1500 bike it only costs the shop somewhere in the $700-$800 range. The stem on said $1500 bike is probbly a house brand stem or a low end ritchy/ easton ect. The cost of a $30 stem for the shop is anywhere between $5 and $15. If you subtract the cost of the stem from the MSRP of the bike you will clearly see that the shop still comes out ahead.

One can logically derive that no matter the curcumstances, there is no reason why the shop should deny the replacement of the said stems.

I dont know alot about switching tires on a car, but I can just guess that it takes a little more time and effort than switching out threadless stems. sorry, no dice.
Old 01-06-08, 12:47 PM
HillMut
peloton surfing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassplayinbiker
lets think about this logically. If you buy a $1500 bike it only costs the shop somewhere in the $700-$800 range. The stem on said $1500 bike is probbly a house brand stem or a low end ritchy/ easton ect. The cost of a $30 stem for the shop is anywhere between $5 and $15. If you subtract the cost of the stem from the MSRP of the bike you will clearly see that the shop still comes out ahead.

One can logically derive that no matter the curcumstances, there is no reason why the shop should deny the replacement of the said stems.

I dont know alot about switching tires on a car, but I can just guess that it takes a little more time and effort than switching out threadless stems. sorry, no dice.
I'm not 100% on this, but still pretty sure that bike shops aren't getting NEAR that much markup on bikes/parts, its more like 30%-35%. Co2 on the other hand... cornerstone .
Old 01-06-08, 12:51 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This seems on the border to me. If they have otherwise treated you well, I would be a little slow to walk away from the relationship. Did you get a good price on the new bike?
Old 01-06-08, 01:25 PM
Berniebikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got poor service, perid. Unless you were asking to get some new four bolt carbon something or other in exchange for your truvative aluminum one, an even swap should have been accomodated. Shop where I frequent and sometimes fill in on heavy periods does it for any good customer who bought a bike, especially a nice road bike. We'll even swap saddles sometimes, if we have one around the shop that the customer would rather ride (again, something comparable to what is OEM).
Old 01-06-08, 03:00 PM
sogood

Bikes: Bianchi, Ridley, GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did receive a fitting at the time of purchase. But, its fairly common to have to fine-tune the fit after riding it a couple times after the test ride, no?

With my other bike I bought at another LBS, they had no problem swapping the stem for me after a few rides.
If the fitting is different to your old bike, then it's natural that you'll feel stretched on the first few rides. Does it mean the fit is no good? Not necessarily. It's just that your body hasn't adapted to it yet. So the question is, was the fit "no good" or you aren't used to a better fit?

As for LBS swapping stems. My experience has been that they'll swap in a cheaper stem than the one that came with the bike. So be aware.
Old 01-06-08, 03:01 PM
aloysius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn to do your own wrenching, buy some tools, and you'll never need a bike shop again.
Old 01-06-08, 03:02 PM
Dynamic
San Diego, California

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kster
When I bought my mountain bike in Nov, and after they did the fitting, they told me to ride the bike for a few weeks and come back if I wanted the stem swapped out for a different size. They were willing to do it for no charge.

Sounds like you need to find a new shop.

Your LBS specified that there would be no charge.
The OP wasn't told, and should have asked probably.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.