Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Well I am a bonehead.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 08:28 PM
natebrr

Bikes: 08' Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I am a bonehead.

Incase any one is wondering a cat eye strada will not handle being ran over buy a dodge ram. I get the big dumbie award for the month for that one. I am on vacation in the Orlando area. I decided to take advantage of one of the many mup’s in the area. Get done load everything up, stretch, and take off. Not long after leaving the parking lot I realize the computer isn’t where I thought I left it. I pull off to the side and go to look in the bed of the truck; I realize I am not well enough off the side of the road; so I pull over some more. Get out and realize that the computer had fell from the bed rail when I stopped, and when I pulled over some more I ran it over. A crappy ending to a decant ride. I guess I will just be using a watch and the trail markers for tomorrows ride.
Old 03-28-08, 08:34 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oops.

At least you did not run over your bike . That would have been a most disastrous ending...

East Hill
Old 03-28-08, 08:51 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I broke my last computer by putting in in the outside pocket of my messenger bag. I haven't used one in a long time. I just keep track of my mileage by ride.
Old 03-28-08, 09:16 PM
Trucker_JDub

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, I actually was wondering because I have the same computer only with cadence and I'll bet the cadence option probably doesn't dodge ram proof it. I will now do my best to keep dodge rams off of it. I'm unsure if my main transport vehicle, a Chevy S-10, will hurt it or not but I'm going to assume that the advice would cross over to it as well.
Old 03-28-08, 09:42 PM
natebrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My was a cadence also. Judging by the sound it made I would be willing to wager an S-10 would give the same outcome. Worst part about it, it was only 2 weeks old.
Old 03-28-08, 09:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by natebrr
My was a cadence also. Judging by the sound it made I would be willing to wager an S-10 would give the same outcome. Worst part about it, it was only 2 weeks old.
Is it smooshed beyond all recognition or just cracked? Bet it will still work. The damned things are the Timex (when Timex was good) of bike computers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-29-08, 12:05 AM
natebrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LCD under the clear face plate is all cracked. It might would still work, but there is no display.

Nate
Old 03-29-08, 12:17 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Add me to the bonehead club. For 10 years I've been loading and unloading bike stuff in my truck. Then I get a new bike. After 2 or 3 rides, I ran over the front wheel. I left it leaning on the back bumper when I backed out of the driveway. BONEHEAD move. Nope, a Bontrager wheel will not endure the weight of a Chevy truck! FYI

Old 03-29-08, 12:44 AM
rollerdavem

Bikes: Got a pile of scrap, a specialized Rockhopper, a few BMX, a Fuji folder, and God knows what else 'cuz I can't remember.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like has been said, just thank God it wasn't your bike!

Still sorry to hear about it, it is no fun to have something wrecked and only yourself to be upset at.

So don't be TOO hard on yourself, we are ALL boneheads at one time or another.

RD
Old 03-29-08, 01:33 AM
Trucker_JDub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollerdavem
it is no fun to have something wrecked and only yourself to be upset at.
If we don't limit this to cycling gear here is my most reticent bonehead move:
About 3 weeks ago I was sliding the seat of my truck back after getting something from behind it. Some how my favorite (and only) salmon fishing rod fell off of its holder behind the seat with out me knowing it and when the seat went back I heard a snap. My beautiful Okuma is now worthless. It sat behind my seat for just over a week broken because I just couldn't stand to look at it. I'm out a $300 rod that has helped bring me a lot of good memories. If your not into fishing you just won't understand... ...Wait.. you just accidentally smashed your favorite Campy brifter that you know the feel of it better then the back of your hand... ..Now you understand.
Old 03-29-08, 07:28 AM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear of the loss of a fishing rod. I lost three of them when I was headed to a fishing trip with my father. I had to ship them UPS ahead of time, so my dad could get them, because I was not going to be able to take them on the flight with me. I had them packaged perfect in a hard plastic tube for blueprints. I didn't even see them until we unpacked in Canada. They had been snapped in half
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 03-29-08, 11:13 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a friend who left her vintage Italian race bike leaning against the back of her Jeep, forgot about it, and backed over it. She was heartbroken! Comparatively, a little bike computer is nothing (if that makes you feel better.)

I've also heard lots of stories of people with bikes mounted on roof racks who forgot about them when they pulled into their garages. I won't put bikes up there for that reason. I know I'm a bonehead.

Oh, off topic, but I was taking my daughter and her friends out paddling last week. I had my two handbuilt wooden kayaks on my truck canopy's roof rack. In my hurry I used the canoe cinch strap to cinch down my wife's strip-built redwood Guillemot (that means something to kayakers, perhaps. It took me two years to build.) The strap is 12 feet instead of 9, and I forgot to tie up the extra strap, so it was dangling down to the ground. As I started pulling out of the driveway I heard an alarming creaking noise. Luckily I stopped instantly. When I got out, the dangling strap was under the rear tire and was pulling down on the kayak. If I hadn't stopped I think I would have severed the nose of my wife's boat like a commando garroting someone's neck. That would have been a tragedy!

Boneheads of the world, do a walkaround before setting off on a journey!
Old 03-29-08, 01:19 PM
wayne pattee
NadaKid

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I am a bonehead.
My wife calls me much worse.
Old 03-29-08, 07:20 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Incase any one is wondering a cat eye strada will not handle being ran over buy a dodge ram. I get the big dumbie award for the month for that one. I am on vacation in the Orlando area. I decided to take advantage of one of the many mup’s in the area. Get done load everything up, stretch, and take off. Not long after leaving the parking lot I realize the computer isn’t where I thought I left it. I pull off to the side and go to look in the bed of the truck; I realize I am not well enough off the side of the road; so I pull over some more. Get out and realize that the computer had fell from the bed rail when I stopped, and when I pulled over some more I ran it over. A crappy ending to a decant ride. I guess I will just be using a watch and the trail markers for tomorrows ride.
Or a website such as Map My Ride or Bikely.

Old 03-30-08, 12:15 PM
natebrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trail we rode on yesterday was well marked. It had a painted stripe across the trail and the distance to or from the trail head every half mile. We connected to another trail which had post on the side of the trail with the stripes. I just went by those for the ride distance. I wish I would have had it for speed. We went down what Floridians call a mountain; I would have loved to know what my speed was on that.

I had a good time on that ride. Kinda slow because I was hanging out with my friends from Fla, they were on roller blades. They decided the were done 5 miles from the trailhead, so I went for the truck. That was good for me because I got to hammer it back for the last 5 miles. Well by hammer I mean give it all I had. Good times.

Nate
Old 04-01-08, 12:16 PM
spencejm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now just go buy an identical model. You won't have to install the mount and when you buy another bike you'll have the mount from the new one. You can then switch the same unit between the two bikes. Don't ask me how I came up with this idea. Okay, I'll tell. I saw mine slide off the roof of my car and onto the interstate at 70 MPH. The last I saw of it was when it got sucked underneath a semi.

Joe
Old 04-01-08, 12:43 PM
avmanansala

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed that my wireless Strada does not seem as secure as the Specialized Comp computer it replaced. A day after installing it I was clicking through the features at speed to try it out on the MUP and some how loosened it to where I lost it riding. Thankfully my B-I-L was behind me and saw it fall. He gave it back to me after watching me curse up a storm after we got back to my car. Never mind that we had a rest stop between me dropping it and getting back to the car. At least he thought it was funny.
Old 04-01-08, 05:46 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to call Mavic and talk with their engineers.

For some reason, their older Cosmic Expert wheels will simply not hold the weight of a BMW 3 Series applied laterally to the rim.

Do you think this would be covered under warranty?

Old 04-01-08, 06:33 PM
natebrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was kinda surprised at how calm I was after. I normally would have been cusing myself two days later. I don't mind something happening, but when it's my fault that makes me mad.

Nate
Old 04-01-08, 06:40 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A little preservation trick with a Cateye Strada is not to press the bottom, but the top. I can demonstrate better then explain.
Old 04-01-08, 06:45 PM
natebrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the short time I had it I had found the easiest way for me, was to hook my finger under the front and lift up and back. This would rock it back just enough to press the button.

Nate
Old 04-01-08, 08:39 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the short time I had it I had found the easiest way for me, was to hook my finger under the front and lift up and back. This would rock it back just enough to press the button.

Nate
Thanks nate. That's what I was trying to say but couldn't find the words. I have a 2 year old and she likes to hide things.