Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Single Speed Cyclocross Wheelset?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 01:02 PM
JonM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello:

I am building up a single speed surly cross check with intentions of commuting and having the ability to hit the local cross tracks. What sorts of wheel builds are you guys running and what would you recommend.

Thanks
Old 03-18-09, 02:23 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend Velocity Synergy or Dyad rims laced 32x3 to Surly hubs. If you imagine wanting to ever use these wheels on a SS 29er in the future, get the 135mm rear hub (perhaps in disc-compatible version), otherwise 130mm. Get free/fixed threading.

The Synergy and Dyad rims are a bit wider than typical road rims, makes running fatter tires better. The Cross Check has pretty generous spacing, you can fit some nice fat tires under that bike.
Old 03-18-09, 06:44 PM
kdboxerdog
kdboxerdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a Velocity Aerohead on a 135 mm Surly fixed/free hub on my Il pompino and I have been very happy with it.
Old 03-18-09, 09:50 PM
oharescrubs
yack

Bikes: all of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i raced on ksyrium equipes with spacers to get good chainline... use whatever youd on a geared bike for your purposes...
Old 03-19-09, 05:01 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One nice advantage of running singlespeed is having a rear wheel that isn't dished to Hades.
Old 03-19-09, 05:09 AM
jhota
blithering idiot

Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm using a Surly free/free rear hub, Campy Mirage front hub, and Velocity Deep-V's.

heavy? very. but strong.
Old 03-19-09, 08:36 AM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't raced yet but I have a two CX bikes. Both have Velocity Deep-V rims, one set with Ultegra hubs and the other with IRO fixed/free high flange hubs (rebadged Formula hubs i believe).

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 03-19-09, 09:40 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If starting from scratch, I don't think deep V's are the best choice for cross because they are narrow (19mm) and fairly heavy (520g) and aren't deep enough to confer any advantage over shallow rims (for cross, at any rate).

The aero advantage of Deep Vs would come primarily from building them with fewer spokes. For cross, a lighter rim and more spokes is a better combo, because you want rotating weight to be minimized.
Old 03-19-09, 09:43 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I have an older Dura-ace freewheel wheel that I respaced and redished for a great SS wheel. I also picked up a set of similar DA hubs laces to tubular gp40's that I may use to race on. Old tubular freewheel wheel sets can be crazy cheap on craigs list.
Old 03-19-09, 09:44 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Originally Posted by flargle
If starting from scratch, I don't think deep V's are the best choice for cross because they are narrow (19mm) and fairly heavy (520g) and aren't deep enough to confer any advantage over shallow rims (for cross, at any rate).

The aero advantage of Deep Vs would come primarily from building them with fewer spokes. For cross, a lighter rim and more spokes is a better combo, because you want rotating weight to be minimized.
Aren't there some advantages to an aero rim design (probably not deep v deep) for shedding mud and sand?
Old 03-19-09, 09:48 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Aren't there some advantages to an aero rim design (probably not deep v deep) for shedding mud and sand?
I don't think at the depth of Deep Vs it makes much difference, but I do buy the fact that deep carbon rims might cut through sand and mud better. I've gotten to the end of races with all kinds of vegetable matter caught in my spokes, seems like the guys with carbon rims had less of that.
Old 03-19-09, 09:51 AM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of DT Swiss TK 7.1 that have been trouble free since I had them.
Old 03-19-09, 10:23 AM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I have an older Dura-ace freewheel wheel that I respaced and redished for a great SS wheel. I also picked up a set of similar DA hubs laces to tubular gp40's that I may use to race on. Old tubular freewheel wheel sets can be crazy cheap on craigs list.
I used a suntour xc pro freewheel hub for my rear hub. The distance btwn the flanges is only about 5mm less than on dimension or formula track hubs.

I think surly ss hubs are overkill, frankly. I know wider flanges make for a stronger wheel but really how many 32 spoke road wheels being used to race cx do you see fail? I think dimension or formula track hubs or old freewheel hubs are plenty, and a lot cheaper.
Old 03-19-09, 10:56 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimJ
I think surly ss hubs are overkill, frankly. I know wider flanges make for a stronger wheel but really how many 32 spoke road wheels being used to race cx do you see fail? I think dimension or formula track hubs or old freewheel hubs are plenty, and a lot cheaper.
It's not about the width or distance between the flanges, but how unequal the left and right spoke tensions need to be. On a 10-speed wheel, effective number of spokes is just about halved, because non-drive-side spokes are near slack compared to drive-side.

And it's not really about catastrophic failure (tho it does occur), but longevity and maintenance. Highly dished wheels go out of true more easily, and I personally have cracked rims from the high tensions needed on a 10-speed rear wheel. Again, part of the advantage of singlespeed is being able to build a strong rear wheel with relatively fewer spokes and a lighter rim.

If I were building a rear wheel on a 10-speed hub, I would use an off-center rim like the Synergy OC or Aerohead OC.
Old 03-19-09, 12:29 PM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flargle
It's not about the width or distance between the flanges, but how unequal the left and right spoke tensions need to be.
I'm talking about the difference btwn a surly or a track hub, something else dishless or close to it. The surly has wider flanges than a track hub and both will be built dishless. The wider spaced flanges are for strength- a wider triangle. Paul components flanges are pushed even further out. I think it's overkill, I'd go with $30 track hub over a $60 surly.
Old 03-19-09, 02:27 PM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimJ
I think it's overkill, I'd go with $30 track hub over a $60 surly.
OK now I get a clue.

Yes, I agree that a track hub spaced out to 130mm can work fine and is plenty strong. But I still consider the Surly hubs reasonably priced, and I think your two-fold price difference between Formula/Dimension and Surly is exaggerated. For example Universal Cycles has a rear Dimension track hub for $43, Surly for $56.
Old 03-19-09, 03:12 PM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
$56 for their mtn or road hub? No way...

Wow. Good price. Usually they're like $70. Anyway you can get a novatec/dimension/etc. hub on ebay for under $40 and I dunno, I could be wrong but I don't think the extra $20 or $30 for a surly is really worth it. They're heavier and stronger most likely, but how strong do they need to be, really?
Old 03-19-09, 03:38 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

I have both and have had no issue with either. Actually, my SS hub is pre Surly, it's a 1x1 but the same hub.
Old 03-20-09, 02:50 AM
Lectron
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Careful with many of the track specific hubs, as they have rather poor sealing

....doesn't rain much and ain't much mud on a track
Old 03-20-09, 10:04 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Very few current track hubs are made for the track. DA, Campy, Miche, ect are but they are producing the same models that they have for a while. Most of the ones being discussed here sealed bearings and are designed for street use.
Old 03-20-09, 10:31 AM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah. I was surprised when I got my xc pro hubs that the sealed bearing were just right there out in the open, I thought being mtb hubs they'd be behind some further kind of cover. Apart from the greaseguard feature they're no different than how those novatec/formula's etc. are- just a sealed bearing.
Old 03-23-09, 10:33 AM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I finally took some pics of my wheels, still dirty from the last race I did...

I laced the front hub "backwards".

Here they are on the bike.

sun m14a rims.

The dish on the rear hub isn't as good as a surly ss or even track hub, but it's not as bad as a road cassette hub so I'm happy. I may put a solid axle on it but the qr has been working fine.
Old 03-24-09, 01:59 PM
JonM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses!
Old 03-25-09, 04:39 PM
period3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sun venus

I have 32 spoke Sun Venus rims laced 3x to high flange formula hubs. Good wheels so far, although I sometimes wish the rims were a bit wider. I ride offroad, but don't actually race.

Originally Posted by JonM
Hello:

I am building up a single speed surly cross check with intentions of commuting and having the ability to hit the local cross tracks. What sorts of wheel builds are you guys running and what would you recommend.

Thanks
Old 07-05-09, 02:46 PM
justsayyes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running Velocity Aeroheads (Nuvian wheels, I guess) using White Industry hubs; 32/3x. Seem to work fine for me. I'm about 195lbs. and ride dry and somewhat rocky trails that normally only see mtn. bikes. So spend a lot of time responding to hikers about why I'm carrying my bike up hill, :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.