Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

$12,000 dollar bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

$12,000 dollar bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 08:46 AM
pilam99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KTU
Any modern motorcycle has tons more engineering and mechanical parts than a bicycle, no matter if its a $3k motorcycle or $43k Ducati. When i become a millionare and buy my $12k bicycle i will still say " This bike did not cost nearly as much to build as the the Suzuki i bought yesterday". Still it don't make sense.

A laptop computer has TONS more engineering than your motorcycle yet it only costs $500. Does that mean the motorcycle should only cost $500? The engineering of the laptop is amoritized over many more units. Think of cellphones, considering the tower infrastructure, my FREE cellphone involves TONS more engineering than a motorcycle, it has taken decades to roll out cell infrastructure. Sat TV requires rocket ships and satellites floating around in space but it's cheaper than a motorcycle.

I can understand that a $12k bike seems ridiculous to some because a bike that appears to be similar can be had for $500. You could also argue that a $10k diamond ring is way too similar to a $99 diamond ring and it takes the same amount of effort to dig up the stone.

What you should really be trying to say is that the profit margin on a $12k bike is so much higher than a $1000 bike that it shows that the people that buy a $12k bike are suckers. I would, however, expect the margin may be higher on the lower end bikes... not sure though. Higher volume typically = higher margin but some markets are competitive in a way that this is not the case (i.e. Sony Playstation=loss leader but high volume)
Old 04-30-09, 08:47 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Being someone who can't afford a $12K bike right now, I totally agree that they should cost $3K.
Old 04-30-09, 08:52 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KTU
Any modern motorcycle has tons more engineering and mechanical parts than a bicycle, no matter if its a $3k motorcycle or $43k Ducati. When i become a millionare and buy my $12k bicycle i will still say " This bike did not cost nearly as much to build as the the Suzuki i bought yesterday". Still it don't make sense.
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd guess that you'll never become a millionaire if you don't get a better grasp of the modern marketplace. The cost of that bike reflects R&D, production, marketing, distribution and sufficient profit along the line to keep all that going.

The market is not stupid.
Old 04-30-09, 08:53 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My new build is pretty high-end. I am saving as much money as possible on this build by using last year's frame and last year's gruppo. Also the wheels are used. I am under $5k, but not by much. It's pretty kick-ass though. I'm not sure if it could be improved by much, maybe a couple of pounds. At the moment it is in the 15 pound range. It is doubtful that it would double the cost to get it to the UCI limit.

I do all my own work on the bikes though, so that is a cost savings. $3k can get you a really nice bike if you do your own work, but it would be tough to make it strong, light and aero.
Old 04-30-09, 08:57 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
by the way: I actually own a gixxer 600. They absolutely shave as many grams off them as possible given the price point. The headers are titanium. As are the valves. There is very little steel on that bike. I think the dry weight is somewhere around 350. Replacing the stock body with a race body and changing out the exhaust system will give you a bike worthy of superstock racing.
Old 04-30-09, 09:05 AM
eric01

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A $12k bike is only silly if it doesn't sell and the company loses money.

If a company can manufacturer a product and sell it successfully at a certain price point, who are we to judge? Doesn't matter if you or I agree with the perceived value.

If there is demand, $12k bikes will sell will continue to be made. If there is no demand and no sales, the company loses money and stops making $12k bikes.

I for one, am happy for free markets. I don't want to participate in an economy where arbitrary caps are placed on goods.
Old 04-30-09, 09:15 AM
roy5000x2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we're all looking at this the wrong way. The $12,000 we have isn't silly. The $12,000 bike isn't silly. We're silly
Old 04-30-09, 09:17 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
How often is there a practical rationale for luxury items - cars that go 190, $200 sunglasses, $500 purses, $6000 stainless steel watches, 5000+ sq.ft. houses etc? It's all for ego gratification.
The part that bothers me is at what point in time did quality made products become a luxury?

I see the scale as follows.

Poorly made junk that barely accomplishes the goals of the product. Breaks quickly, go buy another one. Walmart is full of this kind of stuff. It is the American way to be penny smart and dollar foolish because instead of buy one that costs twice as much that lasts a lifetime, we'll buy a new one every year when the one we have breaks.

Quality goods. Well made stuff that does what it is supposed to well, lasts a long time and has replacement parts available for wearing parts.

Luxury goods: Stuff that you buy because of brand marketing to boost your ego or to be recognized as a consumer of product X. MAY be a quality good, but in this day and age, could easily be junk that a brand has slapped their label on to make a buck.

I shoot for quality goods with most of my purchases and I am willing to spend a few more dollars on stuff that is well made and will last. Especially tools, kitchen tools, bicycles equipment, camera and scuba stuff. For the most part I abhor cheaply made crap, although I will sometimes get something in this category for a one time use or when I know it will be expendable.
Old 04-30-09, 09:22 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My very expensive bike got eated by the road. Let's hope that road doesn't eated this new (not as expensive) one. Both way over 3000.
Old 04-30-09, 09:23 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Quality goods. Well made stuff that does what it is supposed to well, lasts a long time and has replacement parts available for wearing parts.

Luxury goods: Stuff that you buy because of brand marketing to boost your ego or to be recognized as a consumer of product X. MAY be a quality good, but in this day and age, could easily be junk that a brand has slapped their label on to make a buck.
This is a completely arbitrary distinction, but I see what you did there. It leaves you an out to own luxury goods but claim that it's only because it's high-quality, thereby making you seem like a discerning consumer and not ego-driven. Nice.
Old 04-30-09, 09:28 AM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it's ridiculous that a bike can cost one thousand dollars, but that's just me.
Old 04-30-09, 09:34 AM
UGASkiDawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
Old 04-30-09, 09:37 AM
UGASkiDawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd guess that you'll never become a millionaire if you don't get a better grasp of the modern marketplace. The cost of that bike reflects R&D, production, marketing, distribution and sufficient profit along the line to keep all that going.

The market is not stupid.

All that and it reflects mostly what the people will pay.....the demand side is much more important......
Old 04-30-09, 09:39 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Poorly made junk that barely accomplishes the goals of the product. Breaks quickly, go buy another one. Walmart is full of this kind of stuff. It is the American way to be penny smart and dollar foolish because instead of buy one that costs twice as much that lasts a lifetime, we'll buy a new one every year when the one we have breaks.

When I was a kid, my parents would buy me shoes at Payless. They weren't particularly comfortable and they didn't last very long so they had to constantly buy me new ones. One day at a mall I fell in love with a pair of Nikes. They looked really cool and they felt good but they were over $100 (20 years ago), probably about 4x the price of the payless shoes. I begged and begged my parents and eventually got them to buy me a pair. And gosh darn if they didn't last nearly a whole year instead of a month or two like the payless crap. When it was time to get new ones they didn't have any problem with spending a similar amount of money again. And as a bonus, I found out that the Payless shoes had no arch support and were destroying my feet, which is why they were so uncomfortable.

A lot of bike stuff is expensive because it is hand made or made in limited production runs. Sometimes that means it is more expensive to produce but usually it just means they have to charge more to recover their costs and make some profit. Oh noes, profit... nobody should make any profit selling stuff!

Of course there is a lot of rebadged generic stuff (cue lazyrider rant) that is sold for much more money than the same item with the generic name but I don't think any of that is in the $12K territorry. Really though, there aren't many bikes in that price range and you have to really get into the tricked out components to get there.
Old 04-30-09, 09:41 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
The part that bothers me is at what point in time did quality made products become a luxury?
Quality and luxury are different concepts. Quality is functional and luxury merely describes relative price. People expect a luxury good to be of quality, but there are many examples to the contrary that obviate this generalization, e.g., an expensive high performance car that breaks a lot such as recent Mercedes versus a less expensive Toyota that's rock solid reliable. The quality of some luxury goods such as perfume, liquor, and designer clothing can't even be defined because the rationale for their purchase is completely subjective - how it smells, tastes, or looks.
Old 04-30-09, 09:48 AM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$12K FRAME anyone?

Old 04-30-09, 09:50 AM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait a second - a GSXR 600 costs 10 grand these days? I think what offended most people is that you compared the "little gixxer" to a high-end bicycle. I think the gsxr 600 is better compared to a $3,000 bike, and something from MV Agusta or Ducati would be along the lines of a $12,000 one.

(cue the gsxr 600 owner, who will now tell us how his bike does 7 second 1/4 miles, 350 mph, and gets 200 miles per gallon.)
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KTU
Just want to throw this out there - I'm still amazed by how silly it is bikes to cost this much. No matter what the material or components, i feel a high end road bike should not exceed $3000. A 09' Suzuki gsxr 600(sportbike) cost $10K, and it has ecu systems, engine, hundreds of mechanical parts etc. So why should a two wheels and a frame cost more than the motorcycle? Clearly the Suzuki has tons more engineering involved to build. I guess the bicycle companies charge big $$ because they can, not because its actually worth it.
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KTU
Just want to throw this out there - I'm still amazed by how silly it is bikes to cost this much. No matter what the material or components, i feel a high end road bike should not exceed $3000. A 09' Suzuki gsxr 600(sportbike) cost $10K, and it has ecu systems, engine, hundreds of mechanical parts etc. So why should a two wheels and a frame cost more than the motorcycle? Clearly the Suzuki has tons more engineering involved to build. I guess the bicycle companies charge big $$ because they can, not because its actually worth it.
Correct.

What's your point?
Old 04-30-09, 09:51 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
My very expensive bike got eated by the road.
You are from NC, aren't you?
Old 04-30-09, 09:52 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where are all the $12,000 bikes anyway? seriously, I doubt anyone here has one...
Old 04-30-09, 09:57 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Where are all the $12,000 bikes anyway? seriously, I doubt anyone here has one...
Nobody who can afford one will be found on the interwebs calling it silly. I think WideAMG's Super Record-equipped Pinarello is right up there...
Old 04-30-09, 09:57 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K-S2
I suppose this question must just be generic to all hobbies with a low barrier to entry and a wealthy group willing to pay for that last .01% of performance. Either way it seems to pop up all over bike forums and often.

Tri Bikes: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=530857

Jesus, people even complain about why popcorn costs so much! https://www.physorg.com/news122917253.html

Personally, I spend a fair amount of my income on bikes and bike-related purchases. Will a Zipp wheel or Felt bike make me as fast as Dave Zabriskie? Hell no. Will it make me feel a little more like a pro? Maybe. Either way, you generally do get an increase in quality the more you spend (although you are a victim of law of diminishing returns). If you didn't have high-end bike purchasers, you probably wouldn't have good & cost-effective mid-level bikes.

Most of these threads have the same conclusive point, and I hope we can nip it in the bud: Do what you want to do, spend what you want to spend, and don't belittle other people for doing it.
Good reply. A $30 Timex watch pretty much keeps good time. So why do they sell watches upwards of $100,000 that pretty much can accomplish the same goal?
Old 04-30-09, 10:04 AM
shabbasuraj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$12000? meh.. dime a dozen nowadays.

$17000-$20000 is what gets me out of bed for bikes.

I am NOT joking.
Old 04-30-09, 10:06 AM
duckbill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mass-produced Bicycles could be compared to mass-produced Motorcycles but top shelf hand built Bicycles should then be compared to hand built sport bikes like the Ducati Desmosedici RR at $75,000.00.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.