Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yakima Roof Rack problem

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Yakima Roof Rack problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 09:43 PM
spaceballs

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, All City Macho Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yakima Roof Rack problem

I have a Yakima Steelhead bike rack for my car. It is a fork mount in the front, and in the back it has a strap that kind of ratchets down to snug the rear wheel in place. Link to what rack looks like.

[This is why this is in the road sub-forum...]My wife's road bike has lower profile wheels with 23mm tires, and to get the things tightened down, you really have to crank the strap down. It has a little plastic push button to release the tension, but when it is really tightened on there, pushing the button doesn't seem to work to release the strap. This has happened a couple of times before, and I could always mess with it enough to get it to release, but it didn't happen tonight and the bike is still out on the car.

I searched and couldn't find anything like this on the forum, but I can't imagine that no one has had this happen before. Can someone tell me if, on a fork-mounted rack, the fork mount solely holds the bike in place and the strap is there just as a backup? It seems like the strap needs to be on there pretty tight for it to do anything useful, and for a road bike with thin tires and lower profile wheels it seems to cause some trouble with this mount.

I sent Yakima a note about this, too, but I would kind of like to get it resolved as I have to drive 350 miles tomorrow and I would rather do it with my bike in the house rather than on the roof.
Old 05-28-09, 10:08 PM
kniprm
Back on the Yam-Yam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Push harder. Mine gets stuck all the time.
Old 05-28-09, 10:46 PM
spaceballs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kniprm
Push harder. Mine gets stuck all the time.
Doesn't seem to be making a difference. As I try to push harder, the metal tray of the rack kind of bends in and doesn't let me release the pressure.

Is there anything I can lubricate that might make a difference?
Old 05-29-09, 04:50 AM
laduckslayer
Watch This!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 5000; 2006 Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would refrain from torquing that back strap down. IMHO it's there to keep the back wheel in the track as well as keeping the bike from shifting - preventing unnecessary torque on the front.

Check to make sure the release tab on the rear is in it's track/groove. If not, you will fight with release mechanism.
Old 05-29-09, 05:11 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
The newer version of the stap is much harder to release than the version from 20 years ago. I still have some older ones and prefer them much better. After you get the strap open don't tighten it down at the lowest portion of the wheel. Slide the strap forward or backward to where the stap hits rim further up on the curve. You won't need to tighten the strap as much.
Old 05-29-09, 05:26 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FYI, I have driven with that strap off with no problem.

The reason you are having trouble is the wheels are so low profile and the strap can not close that tight. Stuff a rag over the rim and then tighten it snug not tight. Just enough so the bike doesnt bounce out of the tray.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 05-29-09, 06:30 AM
spaceballs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluechip
The newer version of the stap is much harder to release than the version from 20 years ago.
This is good to know. I guess I will just keep messing with it until I get it open. If anyone has any advice on getting it open, or can tell me about Yakima's super-secret backup release button on the strap, please let me know.
Old 05-29-09, 06:32 AM
flip
Life is Good

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tarmac Expert - Rival/Force, 2002 Colnago Classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ +1

The strap is designed to fit varying profile wheels/tires. A standard road setup leaves too much space. I fashioned a small rectangular "shim" from a yoga block so I wouldn't have to cinch the strap down the whole way. It takes up the slack, is semi-soft and grabs around the v-profile of the wheel, and I just throw it inside the car when the bike is not on the rack.

I've heard that Yakima sells an attachment designed to resolve this but I haven't seen it (I also didn't look very hard).
Old 05-29-09, 06:46 AM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as the strap is connected, the wheel isn't going anywhere. I've driven a couple hundred miles with the rear just cinched down (not tight on the rim). No problems at all at 75 mph interstate speeds.

My $0.02.
Old 05-29-09, 06:59 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Slide the strap back so when it tightens it isn't over the lowest spot of the wheel. Just a few inches is enough. It won't slip.
Old 05-29-09, 07:16 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
no direct experience with the yakima strap, but if its like every other ratchet mechanism, first apply load to the strap as if tensioning it further, then push the release, this should make it waaayyy easier.
Old 05-29-09, 07:26 AM
spaceballs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a moron. I think if I just let the air out of the tire, I should get enough slack to pull it out.

Wow. How did I miss that?