Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Can I just say "I miss commuting!" ????

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 06:26 PM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I lurk here. I am vocal on other forum categories, but here I oddly feel at home the most yet lurk because commuting is no longer part of my life.
I work from home and have for the last 12 years doing home childcare.
But my life before that was all about the bike. I had 2 jobs and was car free(by choice). I commuted on a Voodoo Bantu and a Redline chromo 24" cruiser. For 10 years, I biked half way across town with a backpack. Grocery shopped. All weather. All the time. And I loved it, every hot wet cold snowy blustery second. But then, you all know!
I still have bikes, a Surly Pugsley Necromancer fat bike and a Salsa Casseroll road. I also have a Surly Conundrum muni cycle. I only drive to do kid things, I still choose to bike as much as possible.
When I am out in the workforce again, I plan on commuting by bike. It will be one of the big factors in which job I end up doing, the ability to commute safely and have a place to store my bike while working. Isn't that strange? I have no idea what I want to do for a job but know I want to commute by bike.
I dunno why I felt compelled this evening to stop in and finally say "Hello!" but I am, so "Hi everybody! I'm Jamie."
Old 03-25-13, 07:25 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, glad you came by for a visit. A lot of us share the very same passion for commuting. Not too many of us do it by neccesity more for pleasure and convienience but some people choose to be car free which is really cool in my book. I think I may be looking for new employment soon and commuting will certainly be part of my search if at all possible.
Old 03-25-13, 07:57 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Jamie, and I hope you find a job that is both a good job and a good commute. And I love the name of your bike, the Necromancer! Reminds me of D&D days in the 80's and of "Caress of Steel" by Rush. Yes, I am both a Fred and a nerd. Good to hear from ya!
Old 03-26-13, 01:19 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I sometimes wonder what I'll do as far as riding goes once I no longer need to commute. I doubt I will ride every day, as I don't now.
Old 03-26-13, 01:39 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Jamie.

I myself keep a lousy and very boring job for the last 3 years mainly because the bike ride is very good and the boss let me park indoor.
You presently don't commute to work but you must know a thing or two on the subject having done it for a long time in the past so if you have something to say about anything on this forum please do, your opinion will be much welcome.
Old 03-27-13, 07:45 AM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a former bike commuter. I commuted to work for many years until my job moved and forced me to move with it. Now I am separated from my job location by a very dangerous bridge that would be suicidal to cross on a bike. I have now lived without bike commuting for about 17 yrs. This week I am finally retiring and can get back to the important things in life including riding a bike for several hours daily instead of just after work and on weekends.
Old 03-27-13, 07:53 AM
FatherAlabaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sympathize! I commuted for several years here in NYC but now I'm mostly home during the day with my one-year-old. My daily rides made me feel a bit more like myself, and I miss them. Usually the same route, but always a fresh challenge. Now I can pretty much only ride on weekends and I feel like a hack. Good luck getting back to it!
Old 03-27-13, 12:22 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the same boat, don't lurk so much but post here anyway I miss commuting though - but I don't see myself being able to commute for at least another year. I've tried to substitute by doing outside chores/grocery shopping by bike, and going on longer bike rides on the weekend, but it isn't the same
Old 03-27-13, 12:33 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
To me the commuting mentality is all about biking for useful purposes rather than strictly training, racing or fast group rides. I do my share of training and group rides, but identify more with the commuting forum as well. I also do one or two bike tours each year and hang out at that forum as well. After I retire in a few years, I'll probably continue to frequent this forum because I feel like one of the regulars and I will probably still use my bike for getting around town.
Old 03-27-13, 04:54 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
After I retire in a few years, I'll probably continue to frequent this forum because I feel like one of the regulars and I will probably still use my bike for getting around town.
Once a commuter always a commuter!
Old 03-27-13, 07:05 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, it's funny. I will be retiring by the end of 2014. The thought of not commuting already has me missing it. But then again, I'll be able ride to my hearts content.
Old 03-27-13, 07:36 PM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes
I lurk here....I'm Jamie."
You're a bit creeky, you should fit right in...