Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Grant Peterson - Now in the Museum of Modern Art Catalog

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Grant Peterson - Now in the Museum of Modern Art Catalog

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 12:39 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mparker326
So to ride a traditional men's bike you have to dress like a girl by wearing tights?
Quote of the week. Mind if I use that?

(I don't want to use it on anybody. I want to loan it to my wife to use
Old 03-13-13, 12:41 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by Italuminium
No, not for men. Get a nice roadster instead. The minute you go over 25km/h the longitudonal twist of the frame becomes scary.
I don't thing you could even reach 25 km/h on that bike, C ! You'd be nuts to try.
Old 03-13-13, 12:45 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by bigbossman

I wondered where Flakey Foont had gotten to.
Old 03-13-13, 01:18 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 560 Posts
Reminds me of the joint-venture between LOOK and Lacoste to produce the "ultimate" city bike. I'd never heard of them until I spied one in a window display off Place Vendome in Paris (a very ritzy part of the city, filled with jewelry stores catering to the ultra-rich). Price tag for the Look-Lacoste bike is 5,500 British Pounds, or around $8200 US! No thanks.

https://shop-uk.lacoste.com/Lacoste%2...,en_GB,pd.html

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 03-13-13, 03:17 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 2,220 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
I don't like the way the dudes touching the saddle either.
...nor the way he's looking at the saddle!

GP must laugh all the way to the bank every time C&V starts a thread on him.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-13-13, 03:56 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
...nor the way he's looking at the saddle!
To quote George Takei, "Oh, Mmmyyyyyyy.... "

That Lacoste is So. Laughably. Wrong... Like, how much it laCOSTs? I get the impression that, considering both its price tag and the market it seems to be aimed at, the designers' idea of an ultimate city bike was one absolutely more worth stealing than half the cars in Paris.

As for the MoMA bike... sheesh- I'm sure that by now the Snob's ripped it (and maybe The Grant) a new one. It just looks like the ultimate toy-bike for any trendoid-yuppie with a secret fetish for 'whimsical' Portland plaid (as opposed to the 'dirty grunge' plaid we used to offend people with BITD).

I can hear it now: "But MoMA's in on it, so it has to be good design, riiight?"; "But GP had something to do with the design, so it must be solid, riiight?" In more ways than one, I'm guessing.

Oy vey... spare me & just go buy a Linus.

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 03-13-13 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Grammar; punctuation.
Old 03-13-13, 05:24 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Did anybody bother to read that this is a fund raising item? Facts, schmacts, ATTACK! Reminds me of the Sean Hannity show in here.
Old 03-13-13, 05:40 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Reminds me of the joint-venture between LOOK and Lacoste to produce the "ultimate" city bike. I'd never heard of them until I spied one in a window display off Place Vendome in Paris (a very ritzy part of the city, filled with jewelry stores catering to the ultra-rich). Price tag for the Look-Lacoste bike is 5,500 British Pounds, or around $8200 US! No thanks.

https://shop-uk.lacoste.com/Lacoste%2...,en_GB,pd.html
Just what the world needs; an $8200 ghost bike.
Old 03-13-13, 06:08 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Did anybody bother to read that this is a fund raising item? Facts, schmacts, ATTACK! Reminds me of the Sean Hannity show in here.
Yes, yes, it's not easy to attract a museum director with a salary approaching $1.5 million and a lavish penthouse apartment overlooking the museum garden. That's after a haircut

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-highest-paid/
Old 03-13-13, 06:29 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 2,660 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Get a bikeforums membership for $10, and ALL the ads go away.

If you want a GP design, hurry on those GP/MoMA bikes, the red ones are sold out!
Actually don't mind the adds, as long as they don't follow you around. Hey...lots of people living off selling something you don't need. I'd like to hear Pope Francis's view on bikes.
Old 03-13-13, 08:00 PM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is that BEER in the box on the rear rack? Is it included as an accessory? Is it good beer? If so, marketing brilliance on the part of GP!
Old 03-13-13, 08:08 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
+1 The love affair with Raleigh Sports is ill conceived. It's a high volume, stamped out bicycle with abysmal quality control. There's nothing wrong with that until you start romanticizing about it being anything but what it actually is; heavy, cheap transportation.
The years of production I'm referring to had quality control and were before Raleigh turned into a profit from volume of sales monstrosity vs. profit from sales of a quality product. ~1930-late 1950s they were the highest quality mass produced bikes made with drop forged rather than stamped parts everywhere. A Sports from the 1950s is night and day from one from the 1970s-80s which were clearly inferior products.

I'd really like to see the sports of the 1950 (with all the little details, paint, striping, etchings, filigree, and fittings) reproduced with modern rims, seat posts & brakes/levers, standard threading, and a better designed rear carrier. Heck maybe even change the cottered cranks to the same type as modern Pashley's with the Heron motif.

Instead we get sloppily tig welded gas pipe with random parts from Taiwan and a premium up-charge for relatively generic & characterless bikes. Really how different are Publics from Papilons, Shinolas, the lastest 2013 KHS Green iteration, BikesDirect Windsors, Linus, etc from each other? And while I know a comparison could be made between the similarities of Philips to, Armstrong, Raleigh, Humber, Hercules, Rudge-Whitworth, but it isn't quite the same as this mass kit to order stuff from essentially the same factory in Asia.
Old 03-13-13, 08:26 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Pashley's are fine looking bikes. They embody much of what I've seen in the older roadsters.
Old 03-13-13, 08:31 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
A thought from a Southern redneck country boy: Damn! New York City is nothing but ******s after all!

Edit: Just discovered a new word that auto-bleeps. Starts with a 'f' and the middle two letters are 'gg'.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-13-13, 08:43 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Yes, yes, it's not easy to attract a museum director with a salary approaching $1.5 million and a lavish penthouse apartment overlooking the museum garden. That's after a haircut

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-highest-paid/
Gee, oddjob, it's a cryin' shame he had to "weather the recession" by taking that haircut.
- But it's a good thing he can still afford to hire GP to tell us that pink step-throughs with white tires are really "men's" bikes.
Old 03-13-13, 09:24 PM
Creme Brulee

Bikes: koga miyata road gentleman, raleigh crested butte, raleigh comp 650b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
homophobia aside, all of us on this forum know that we can get a really super nice vintage bike for 600 dollars, but most people, if you can believe it, don't want to learn about old bikes, whats good and what isn't, scour craigslist and ebay, or have to adjust something right off the bat. They just want to walk into a bike shop and buy a bike that is ready to go. Considering that, this bike is way better than most you can buy in a shop new. Its not some nerdy fred bike. it's not a fake nu-fred porteur frenchy bike. It's just a bike for riding to the store and to work comfortably, that you can lock up and not really worry about. This is the kind of bike that gets non-bike people on bikes and theres nothin wrong with that.

Last edited by Creme Brulee; 03-13-13 at 09:44 PM. Reason: it's 600 not 800
Old 03-13-13, 09:27 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Old 03-13-13, 09:38 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I used to respect Grant P as a businessman - but I can't respect someone who has to redefine the language to sell what he's selling.
Sound familiar?
Old 03-14-13, 04:42 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
I used to respect Grant P as a businessman - but I can't respect someone who has to redefine the language to sell what he's selling.
Sound familiar?
Industry invents a lot of things, including language, to sell what they innovate. Trek, Specialized, Cannondale have all learned you can charge a lot of money for a bicycle.
Old 03-14-13, 05:18 AM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenway
My point is that with today's technology it should be both easier and cheaper to replicate the quality of the past, rather than spending more money for what is comparatively an inferior product.
VERY good point. At times, when in my paranoid mood, I think it's because such bikes would be too sturdy, thus making sales dwindle. And you're bloody rigth that even rather expensive bikes like Batavus are basically crap. Way too many superfluous details, and way too many plastic parts. Changing a tyre, or making any other sort of repair on those bikes, involves silly amounts of work, and the risk of plastic parts breaking. Pah! And why do they have to be so crazy heavy?

I our day and time, it should be possible to produce REAL bikes at the same price. And I tend to be, well, a bit paranoid about why it doesn't happen.
Old 03-14-13, 05:43 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Creme Brulee
homophobia aside, all of us on this forum know that we can get a really super nice vintage bike for 600 dollars, but most people, if you can believe it, don't want to learn about old bikes, whats good and what isn't, scour craigslist and ebay, or have to adjust something right off the bat. They just want to walk into a bike shop and buy a bike that is ready to go. Considering that, this bike is way better than most you can buy in a shop new. Its not some nerdy fred bike. it's not a fake nu-fred porteur frenchy bike. It's just a bike for riding to the store and to work comfortably, that you can lock up and not really worry about. This is the kind of bike that gets non-bike people on bikes and theres nothin wrong with that.
I don't know- my wife is not a bike person. We got a new Trek hybrid for 400 and it's a cool lookin' bike, it's light, it's comfortable, it's practical and she loves it much more than any fancy pants bike I pointed her to.

Aside from comfort and practicality, there is the whole factor of wanting to be cool. Maybe if you don't want to look at it from that way- it's not wanting to look like a dork.

As much as I disagree with Grant's concept of creating a "group" to belong to called "the un-racer," most of the properties of that "group" are, to me, just good fun bicycling. To that end, having a bike that you enjoy having is a part of that.

Maybe I'm not in tune with the realities of riding a bike in NYC, but that does not look like a bike that would be cool having.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-14-13, 06:11 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
And now, the performance benefits of playing cards in the spokes.... For men that is....

rrrrRRRRrrrrrRRRRrrrrrRRRRrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrRRRRrrrrr
Old 03-14-13, 06:12 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
I don't thing you could even reach 25 km/h on that bike, C ! You'd be nuts to try.
You obviously have never borrowed your mom's bike to go to school, running late as soon as you put the hammer down and start pulling on the bars, the bars actually move several inches back and forth. Scary. On old style "oma bikes" at least, made with traditional 1" tubing. On modern bikes, like the Cortina (very popular now) the hugely oversized tubing negates this effect.
Old 03-14-13, 06:43 AM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
You obviously have never borrowed your mom's bike to go to school, running late as soon as you put the hammer down and start pulling on the bars, the bars actually move several inches back and forth. Scary. On old style "oma bikes" at least, made with traditional 1" tubing. On modern bikes, like the Cortina (very popular now) the hugely oversized tubing negates this effect.
Going 25 km/h is no problem on a 50-60 years old standard ladies' bike, given that it's been well looked after or restored. It's hard work, sure, but in no way risky. On modern equivalents? Not so much. Most of them are crap.
Old 03-14-13, 06:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Only 7 more pages to go for the usual 10 page GP thread minimums.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.