Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is Specialized a Bully?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is Specialized a Bully?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 01:02 PM
Jed19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is Specialized a Bully?

Why is Specialized trying to strangle Volagi in its crib thru a lawsuit?

Is this company a courthouse bully?
Old 01-06-12, 01:04 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ad-bike_201808

I was wondering when someone was going to post this.
Old 01-06-12, 01:05 PM
wkg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Why is Specialized trying to strangle Volagi in its crib thru a lawsuit?

Is this company a courthouse bully?
That's a very good question. To paraphrase bikesnobnyc: Volagi has infringed on Specialized's patented use of the colorway red, black and white.

Specialized doesn't just bully other small companies, they also bully their own dealers.
Old 01-06-12, 01:05 PM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course they are, they're there to make money and protect their profits. They'll probably lose though, its hard to enforce a non-compete / invention clause when there wasn't even a bicycle that existed when sued in California, let alone at a court in San Jose. Californian courts are notoriously pro-competition. I'm siding with Volagi on this one just because I enjoy new-ish ideas from new companies.
Old 01-06-12, 01:14 PM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's not enough known yet. Are they suing them simply because they left and started their own company? That probably won't go anywhere.

Or are they suing them because they are using ideas and/or design research they developed while at Specialized? Specialized seems to be saying that the Volagi frame was ripped from a Specialized prototype, although they're assertion is vague at this point. If part of Volagi's R&D was done while they were employed at Specialized, they're in trouble.
Old 01-06-12, 01:23 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ddimick
There's not enough known yet. Are they suing them simply because they left and started their own company? That probably won't go anywhere.

Or are they suing them because they are using ideas and/or design research they developed while at Specialized? Specialized seems to be saying that the Volagi frame was ripped from a Specialized prototype, although they're assertion is vague at this point. If part of Volagi's R&D was done while they were employed at Specialized, they're in trouble.
I have heard stories as to how Specialized kinda intimidate small companies and even their own dealers by insinuating/threatening lawsuits.

The two guys who started Volagi were equipment guys, not bike design people. And I read that Specialized is asking for "royalties" on each Liscio sold.

What chutzpah?
Old 01-06-12, 01:24 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28641 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Bully? A corporation is not a person, despite what the Supreme Court says.
Old 01-06-12, 01:24 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Of course they are, they're there to make money and protect their profits. They'll probably lose though, its hard to enforce a non-compete / invention clause when there wasn't even a bicycle that existed when sued in California, let alone at a court in San Jose. Californian courts are notoriously pro-competition. I'm siding with Volagi on this one just because I enjoy new-ish ideas from new companies.
Even if they lose, they still win. A fledgling company trying to get off the ground will really be set back by having to defend itself in a lawsuit like this.
Old 01-06-12, 01:25 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I agree, but a corporation can still act like a person, as in this case.
Old 01-06-12, 01:27 PM
Rumpled

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Make Mike Money!
Old 01-06-12, 01:27 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's politics. A corporation, while it might not have all the rights of a person, is, for the puroses of law, a person. I had that drummed into me in freshman business law class.
Old 01-06-12, 01:32 PM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard stories as to how Specialized kinda intimidate small companies and even their own dealers by insinuating/threatening lawsuits.
Yes. Specialized often tries to dictate what products by other brands their dealers sell.

They also do things like reserve S-Works selling rights for only their most dedicated dealers. For example a dealer that only makes a small preseason order from Specialized and sells several other brands of bikes and accessories might not even be allowed to special order any S-Works bikes. So if a customer comes in and really wants an S-Works Tarmac, Specialized won't even let that dealer order the bike for the customer because that dealer isn't "dedicated" enough to "deserve" the right to order any S-Works bikes.
Old 01-06-12, 01:35 PM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is Specialized a Bully?
"Bell Sports alleges that Specialized is attempting to force dealers to agree to not sell its Giro brand of cycling shoes."

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/5940.html

Old 01-06-12, 01:36 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And then there's this:

https://forums.mtbr.com/alaska/epic-d...ed-581975.html
Old 01-06-12, 01:41 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
This really isn't as strange as you guys are making it out to be. If Specialized requires its employees to sign the same standard agreement that most manufacturing companies do, they will win this suit.

Probably all equipment manufacturers with enough money for legal counsel have, as a part of the employment arrangement, a clause that assigns all industry-related inventions created by the employee during their term of employment to the company. This is true whether the invention was created at work, at home, or at a competitor's shop. The same deal is signed by every employee. It would be extremely unusual for a company like Specialized NOT to have such a provision. And it would be extremely unusual for a new hire not to sign it. (If they didn't sign it, they would not be hired. The company would assume that the person came to the relationship with less than pure motives.)

Volagi's principals made a number of mistakes. First, of course, they very likely violated their employment agreements in a big way. (Something that Specialized CANNOT let slide, lest their I.P. all be subject to appropriation.) Were they insane or just stupid? Probably just stupid. (Hire a lawyer before you do something this big!!) Second, they didn't wait long enough to have a plausible argument that they invented their technology after they left Specialized. The time line for this deal (their departure from Specialized practically on top of a competitive product introduction) makes this a very easy, and relatively inexpensive, case for Specialized to win. Because the bike was invented during their time at Specialized, Specialized OWNS their design! Asking for a royalty is going easy on these guys. Most former employers would not be so charitable as to let the new entity continue to exist. They could very well press charges for theft.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 01-06-12 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-06-12, 01:49 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
"Bell Sports alleges that Specialized is attempting to force dealers to agree to not sell its Giro brand of cycling shoes."

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/5940.html

This guy, Sinyard, and his company are not nice fellows, won't you say?

He is basically trying to force dealers into selling only Specialized products. That can't be good for cycling overall.
Old 01-06-12, 01:50 PM
gundom66

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I just read the Specialized-Volagi issue in Volagi's Facebook page last night and there are a number of people who are banning any Specialized product purchases.
Old 01-06-12, 01:56 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gundom66
Yeah I just read the Specialized-Volagi issue in Volagi's Facebook page last night and there are a number of people who are banning any Specialized product purchases.
Where are "consumer boycotts" when you need them? This kinda of people need to be put in their place thru consumers voting with their dollars.

A guy/company like this won't be satisfied until we are all riding their bikes, and all decked out in their outfits.
Old 01-06-12, 01:57 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gundom66
You meant boycotting, right?
Old 01-06-12, 01:58 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mitt says otherwise... Mitt > Supreme Court
Old 01-06-12, 01:59 PM
gundom66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Volagi's principals made a number of mistakes. First, of course, they very likely violated their employment agreements in a big way. (Something that Specialized CANNOT let slide, lest their I.P. all be subject to appropriation.) Were they insane or just stupid? Probably just stupid. (Hire a lawyer before you do something this big!!) Second, they didn't wait long enough to have a plausible argument that they invented their technology after they left Specialized. The time line for this deal (their departure from Specialized practically on top of a competitive product introduction) makes this a very easy, and relatively inexpensive, case for Specialized to win. Because the bike was invented during their time at Specialized, Specialized OWNS their design! Asking for a royalty is going easy on these guys. Most former employers would not be so charitable as to let the new entity continue to exist. They could very well press charges for theft.
I believe I read in Volagi's Facebook page that not even once did they think of designing anything anywhere about the Volagi frame while employed with Specialized. Everything came about after leaving Specialized. But then again, at this point, it's a he said she said thing. So who knows whos telling the right story...
Old 01-06-12, 02:00 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
If Specialized's creakmeister OSBB bottom bracket (with no alternative) doesn't kill them and Specialized's worst-of-both-worlds hybrid gearing doesn't kill them, what can a boycot do?
Old 01-06-12, 02:01 PM
gundom66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
You meant boycotting, right?
The word slipped out of my mind when I noticed my manager coming my way. By the time I got back into posting, I couldn't remember "boycot".
Old 01-06-12, 02:02 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
This really isn't as strange as you guys are making it out to be. If Specialized requires its employees to sign the same standard agreement that most manufacturing companies do, they will win this suit.

Probably all equipment manufacturers with enough money for legal counsel have, as a part of the employment arrangement, a clause that assigns all industry-related inventions created by the employee during their term of employment to the company. This is true whether the invention was created at work, at home, or at a competitor's shop. The same deal is signed by every employee. It would be extremely unusual for a company like Specialized NOT to have such a provision. And it would be extremely unusual for a new hire not to sign it. (If they didn't sign it, they would not be hired. The company would assume that the person came to the relationship with less than pure motives.)

You're making a ton of assumptions here. These guys did not work in product development.
Old 01-06-12, 02:02 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First hand dealing with some of the shops they retail through. They are definitely bullies in regards to merchandizing and shelf space.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.