Old 08-22-14, 11:26 AM
giuros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trip from Copenhagen to Milan

Hi Folks,
I'm Giuseppe, a 25 years old italian student in Denmark right now because of his thesis. But my time here is almost over and...it's time to go back home! By train? Not at all! By plane? No no! By car? So sad! And here we go: I'm planning to ride back to Italy in September, from Copenhagen to Milan to be precise
I'm a very sportman with a lot of energy and enthusiasm but honestly I think I need something more, including something called knowledge
Indeed I don't know how the streets are, if there are cycle tracks, if they are safe and suitable for this kind of adventure.
Any tips? Any idea? Any knowledge to share?
It would be very nice if someone could help me somehow any info could be super useful!
Thanks in advance!!
Enjoy your life!!

Giuseppe
Old 10-01-14, 01:34 AM
pedalsimotxilla

Bikes: Genesis Croix de Fer 10, Merida SUB 40, Old Raleigh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giuseppe, in case you aren't still on the road or someone talked you out of this idea, which I fully support.
1) Send your stuff home, a trailer is a real pain in the "neck" for touring. Just keep the bare indispensables and put them in panniers.
2) You don't need the fanciest touring bike around, but a decent hybrid, at least, is a must. You'll have to cross the Alps so you definitely need good gears. Unless, that is, you want to take a bloody big detour to enter your country through the Venezia Giulia or the Liguria, which would make mountains a smaller concern, but you'd get a few hundreds of km more. I assume you'd be fit enough once you get to the mountain crossings. Actually, my reccomendation would be to aim for Bavaria, in South-Eastern Germany, get to Austria via Salzburg and then you'd have two considerably big climbs: the Grossglocknerstrasse, which in return is stunningly beautiful and the San Candido/Inninchen pass, between the Austrian Osttirol and the Italian Südtirol. Then, follow the Trento (rivers tend to go downhill, you know) until you get to the flatlands and from there to Milano it will be a breeze.
3) In Denmark and Germany you can find pretty decent bike tracks. Of Austria and Italy, I have no idea. Check opencyclemap.org for possible tracks. Also, buy a decent road map to check for minor roads in case you can't find the tracks or you just want to check some out of the way place. In Germany, you can buy those in the service areas of Highways, which is rather inconvenient for a cyclotourist, but I'm sure that tourist information offices will have them too.

I wasn't able to do that from Amsterdam because I had to be in Barcelona in a certain date, but I'll do a big European tour at some point. Bona fortuna!
Old 04-20-23, 10:51 AM
magicears

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever end up completing this ride? I'm also looking to bike from Copenhagen to Milan
Old 07-22-23, 03:54 PM
Travelkide

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure about cycling...but I know that even with the car it takes at least 24 hours to get to te central part of Europe...if you'll want to go through the villages I'd say at least 10 days...take the blablacar ride sharing thing...