Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Old 05-13-19, 06:23 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave View Post
It finally happened, I got yelled at in a paceline. I was on a group ride and I was the third wheel in the group. I was being careful not to clip the wheel in front of me. I was on his wheel never more than a couple of feet from his wheel. The lady behind me screamed at me for freewheeling too much. She said I was slowing the rest of the riders behind me. I couldn't of gone much faster speed than I was going, but I didn't realize that not pedaling consistently was causing other riders problem. Lesson learned.
When in the paceline or peloton, you pay for the gift of the draft from the riders in front by giving a smooth, steady, reliable, safe wheel to the rider behind you.

ALWAYS pedal smooth, move smooth. NEVER pump pump coast pump pump coast.
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 05-13-19, 07:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8440 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
NEVER pump pump coast pump pump coast.
That makes we want to remove my helmet and rip my hair out.
Old 05-13-19, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
That makes we want to remove my helmet and rip my hair out.
If you do, remember it's yank, yank, yank at a steady pace, not yank, pause, ouch, pause, yank, yank, pause ouch.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-13-19, 02:00 PM
caloso
Packfodding 3

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 56 Posts
Learn the art of soft-pedaling. Basically, you are coasting, but you keep turning the pedals over, just not fast enough to engage the pawls of the freewheel. It looks smoother, but more importantly it is smoother because you just have to increase the rotation a bit rather than starting from zero.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-13-19, 03:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 6216 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
always pedal smooth, move smooth. Never pump pump coast pump pump coast.
+1
Old 05-13-19, 06:20 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Learn the art of soft-pedaling. Basically, you are coasting, but you keep turning the pedals over, just not fast enough to engage the pawls of the freewheel. It looks smoother, but more importantly it is smoother because you just have to increase the rotation a bit rather than starting from zero.
If more people would soft pedal, instead of coast, it would make my life in the paceline so much more relaxing.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-14-19, 07:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts
I have some advice in here from someone who got yelled at............if the route changes for a night because of weather or another reason and you are not 100% familiar with the change..........do NOT plan to pull or be up front near any of the possible turns.

Choose a straight.

I was stupid and was up front nearing what I thought was the normal left and sat up/slowed to turn but it was apparent I was in the wrong here.

Don't take it as "you're a weak ass, get off front"...........take it as "if you don't know where you're going.......don't lead".

It's pretty common sense, even if in the moment you feel you're not contributing or if it feels it is a hit to your manhood/womanhood.

Old 05-14-19, 09:20 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
If more people would soft pedal, instead of coast, it would make my life in the paceline so much more relaxing.
Fixed gear in a paceline fixes this.

It's also loads of fun.

-Tim-
Old 05-14-19, 09:26 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
The reality is that your ONLY job in the paceline / peloton is to smooth out to the greatest extent possible the stuff happening in front of you to keep it from impacting the person / people behind you, to keep the draft tight, and to keep from making any sudden or unannounced movements.

Of course stuff happens. But the goal is to be proactively managing it on behalf of the people behind you (as much as you possibly can).
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 05-14-19, 06:29 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Heh. I think if like you say you between 0 and 3 or 4 feet away from the wheel in front of you the whole time, the lady was just crazy. Ignore her, or better yet act like you're deaf or just turn and make funny faces at her when she comments. Learn how to sign "I'm deaf" and use it when you're stopped
I get why guys who train mainly on freewheel bikes stop pedaling, but it does drive me crazy. I spent most of my time when developing riding the road with full time track riders. We were told to soft pedal instead of freewheel. If someone did freewheel it was because they were getting ready to stop, pothole or serious heavy braking was about to occur.

Last edited by colnago62; 05-14-19 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 06:34 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Fixed gear in a paceline fixes this.

It's also loads of fun.

-Tim-
A good pursuit team will ride about a tire width behind the rider in front of them.
Old 05-15-19, 03:45 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
113 pages of freds stroking freds.
Very impressive lol
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 05-15-19, 08:42 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 19 Posts
If a paceline is moving fast enough, then all this stuff about coasting or soft pedaling or whatever becomes moot. You people are too slow.
Old 05-15-19, 09:04 AM
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 175 Posts
Thanks for the reminders of why I love solo riding, and hate paceline. Not a big fan of regimentation--to me it's more like working on a factory assembly line than recreation.

No knock on you who like it, it's just not for me.
Old 05-15-19, 09:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Few things are as exhilarating as a group of guys working smoothly together at speed.

It is very natural and easy when done correctly. Those who don't like it have probably never been in a paceline with people who do it well.

I've only been in a few but they were memorable. I've probably deserved to be yelled at a few times.

-Tim-
Old 05-15-19, 11:02 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 8939 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Thanks for the reminders of why I love solo riding, and hate paceline. Not a big fan of regimentation--to me it's more like working on a factory assembly line than recreation.

No knock on you who like it, it's just not for me.

I have the same inclinations, but TBH in my experience, the people posting on this forum are far more neurotic about pacelines than people you actually encounter in a paceline.

Don't do anything truly stupid or dangerous, and nobody is going to yell. If you can't keep up, people will quietly sprint past to fill in gaps (if they can) on a drop, or regroup later on kind of ride. If they can't, well, they should be faster. And since they need to be faster, picking up the pace to close a big gap, or hanging on for deal life at the back of a line after bridging a gap is the kind of stuff that makes you faster.

If truly the only goal is to go as fast as possible while expending as little energy as possible, just buy a motorcycle...
Old 05-15-19, 11:33 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
I have some advice in here from someone who got yelled at............if the route changes for a night because of weather or another reason and you are not 100% familiar with the change..........do NOT plan to pull or be up front near any of the possible turns.

Choose a straight.

I was stupid and was up front nearing what I thought was the normal left and sat up/slowed to turn but it was apparent I was in the wrong here.

Don't take it as "you're a weak ass, get off front"...........take it as "if you don't know where you're going.......don't lead".

It's pretty common sense, even if in the moment you feel you're not contributing or if it feels it is a hit to your manhood/womanhood.

Bah. It's the ride leaders fault for not communicating the turn to you earlier. Or nobodies, because it's a no harm no foul scenario. Or the leaders again because he didn't specifically tell you not to pull. Because, really, how can you possibly be aware of what turns you're not aware of that you're not aware of?

Some people just need to relax.If the leader(s) are concerned enough about not missing a turn that they feel the need to yell at and berate ride members, then they should also recognize that they should be proactive about communicating the ride route to everyone along with turns on an ongoing basis.
Old 05-15-19, 12:15 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have the same inclinations, but TBH in my experience, the people posting on this forum are far more neurotic about pacelines than people you actually encounter in a paceline.
Agreed - I've mostly experienced positive interactions with others when riding in a paceline and I've found it to be fun and surprisingly social.

But then again, maybe I don't ride with 'serious' cyclists. Heck roadies around here tend to wave.
Old 05-15-19, 01:47 PM
caloso
Packfodding 3

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 56 Posts
Bah. It's the ride leaders fault for not communicating the turn to you earlier. Or nobodies, because it's a no harm no foul scenario. Or the leaders again because he didn't specifically tell you not to pull. Because, really, how can you possibly be aware of what turns you're not aware of that you're not aware of?

Some people just need to relax.If the leader(s) are concerned enough about not missing a turn that they feel the need to yell at and berate ride members, then they should also recognize that they should be proactive about communicating the ride route to everyone along with turns on an ongoing basis.
Some rides don't have leaders.
Old 05-15-19, 01:58 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Some rides don't have leaders.

Sounds like the wrong kind of ride to be on if one is going to have a coronary about a wrong turn then.
Old 05-15-19, 02:45 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
If a paceline is moving fast enough, then all this stuff about coasting or soft pedaling or whatever becomes moot. You people are too slow.
Do your rides only cover flats and climbs? If the line is going downhill, the guy on the front can be at 350 watts and the rest of the line can be coasting. I mean, I guess I could sit up straight, open my legs wide and catch as much wind as possible so that I can pedal without soft pedaling.

If the guy in front of me is steady and smooth, I don't give a &%#@ if he's coasting, soft pedaling or back pedaling.
Old 05-15-19, 02:54 PM
PepeM

Pulling at 350 watts should get one yelled at.
Old 05-15-19, 02:59 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pulling at 350 watts should get one yelled at.
Four guys, 70 miles... 350 watt pulls are pretty solid. I need to see your podium pics. You must be famous.
Old 05-16-19, 11:02 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Whew! Thank god this thread has drifted back into dick-waving braggadocio; for a second there folks were starting to actually dispense sage & prudent advice!
Old 05-16-19, 11:51 AM
PepeM

Agreed. This thread is about yelling and whoever deviates from that should get yelled at.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.