Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Rip-offs: 10 companies in 10 minutes

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Rip-offs: 10 companies in 10 minutes

Old 03-03-19, 07:46 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
I still see people buying tiny rolls of TP like their visitors are gonna steal it. Do yourself a favor and keep the bathroom in a state your own mother hates to use.
I only recently noticed they made teeny Dolly house size rolls of TP. I buy the jumbo rolls on sale and just needed a carry-over. No more standard 8oz graduations, its all fractions (6 1/2 oz) of that. Man some of these manufacturers scams have no limits.
Old 03-03-19, 11:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 33 Posts
No, that IS single roll size. Like from when telephones had dials.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 03-04-19, 12:00 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Never owned an acoustic coupled modem... but I used them, and repaired them. Used them as far back as high school, to learn programming, and log into a mainframe. Repaired them at a college, after I was out of the service... they were used all over campus. I would test them by whistling into them, and waiting for a response. Often their oscillators were off a bit, and required a minor adjustment to peak response. (Done with test equipment, not whistle)

The next year, the campus was wired and RJ45 jacks were used. Interesting fast transition. It was all text based 'net at that point... usenet, then archie, gopher... etc. About late 80s.

I worked on early 8086 computers, but didn't own one until the 386s came out. Had friends with TI-99s. Used Unix machines on campus, then PCs showed up, we had early Apples too. Interesting times.

And now I write this on a touch screen Android device on a 4G wireless network.
I knew former aerospace and IT workers who would program the mainframe to make tunes when you placed an AM radio next to it. Relieved boredom until they lost their jobs and they learned to fix antique radios.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 05-17-19, 06:23 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Regarding Beats and Bose... Bose did actual research... Did Beats?

Bose did research, of the marketing kind.
Old 05-17-19, 09:18 PM
Zedoo
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Bikes: several

Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Student loans, college books/online content, online gaming, video game consoles, bottled water, insurance, sporting events and merchandise, etc. The internet giants are ripoff enablers via data sales. Amazon, Walmart, and private prisons are similar rackets with cheap labor.

Maybe also Spotify.

Last edited by Zedoo; 05-17-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 04:18 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent T View Post
Bose did research, of the marketing kind.
I'm sure they did, but before that, they did actually do engineering research and acoustic modeling and testing.

Beats is just branding. Huge difference. One involves engineers, the other, just marketeers. Kinda like Trump Vodka...
Old 05-18-19, 10:02 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post
Student loans, tuition (esp. private college), college books/online content (Adobe), online gaming, video game consoles, bottled water, insurance, sporting and entertainment events and merchandise, etc. The internet giants are ripoff enablers via data sales. Amazon, Walmart, and private prisons are similar rackets with cheap labor.

Maybe also Spotify.
Fixed.

I'm sure they did, but before that, they did actually do engineering research and acoustic modeling and testing.

Beats is just branding. Huge difference. One involves engineers, the other, just marketeers. Kinda like Trump Vodka...
Bose was the pioneer in scientific research and the examination of sound and how humans interpret it. Most of their flack comes from price relative to cost of material. Though most critics wrongly accuse them of poor sound quality.

I wouldn't consider them a rip-off since speakers are a specialty item and there is a cost for research and development. They are also the best at what they do: big sound from small inconspicuous drivers.

Beats on the other hand, just used celebrity endorsements.
Old 05-18-19, 10:03 AM
Kent T

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Bose applied very little of their acoustic modeling and testing and engineering towards making quality audio. If a speaker is that demanding to place, and that inefficient, I'd rather the speaker system be worth it. To my ear, the Bose 501 and 601 was their only decent loudspeakers but no newer than Series II. Those were OK. Also, Bose didn't manufacture their own speaker drivers either. Tannoy, Acoustic Research, KEF and their ilk did manufacture and build their own speaker drivers and crossover networks in house.

Bose's innovations in active noise cancellation technology I do admire. That is one area, where Bose was very innovative and made a superb product. The original Acoustic Wave machine for simple audio system is very good for it's genre. And their active suspension system is another major Bose breakthrough. For loudspeakers, I prefer other loudspeakers. Which performed better and were less finicky to place. So, respect on their research on applied acoustics.

Last edited by Kent T; 05-18-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 10:25 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Fixed.

Bose was the pioneer in scientific research and the examination of sound and how humans interpret it. Most of their flack comes from price relative to cost of material. Though most critics wrongly accuse them of poor sound quality.

I wouldn't consider them a rip-off since speakers are a specialty item and there is a cost for research and development. They are also the best at what they do: big sound from small inconspicuous drivers.

Beats on the other hand, just used celebrity endorsements.
Exactly... "Branding" without reason.

So freaking common these days. And yet so many people fall for that crap... "Oh I want it because that big ole football guy says it's good..." (Yeah, but he doesn't use the stuff... jeeze)
Old 05-18-19, 10:30 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Kent T View Post
Bose applied very little of their acoustic modeling and testing and engineering towards making quality audio. If a speaker is that demanding to place, and that inefficient, I'd rather the speaker system be worth it. To my ear, the Bose 501 and 601 was their only decent loudspeakers but no newer than Series II. Those were OK. Also, Bose didn't manufacture their own speaker drivers either. Tannoy, Acoustic Research, KEF and their ilk did manufacture and build their own speaker drivers and crossover networks in house.

Bose's innovations in active noise cancellation technology I do admire. That is one area, where Bose was very innovative and made a superb product. The original Acoustic Wave machine for simple audio system is very good for it's genre. And their active suspension system is another major Bose breakthrough. For loudspeakers, I prefer other loudspeakers. Which performed better and were less finicky to place. So, respect on their research on applied acoustics.
And just what did BEATS do? Yet people flock to the stuff as if it is something special. I caught my own son saying he wanted "Beats" headphones for his video editing... I asked why "Beats." "uh, they're supposed to be good." Really, by what metric. "They're expensive."

Hey, I't not immune... a couple decades ago I bought a Nautica brand jacket... thinking "Nautica," sounds like it should be good. First rain I wore it in, it bled dark blue all over my shirt. It was crap as far as foul weather gear. Now I know better... and look for brands like Gill and Mustang among others. There is a line of "Caribbean" clothing that has never seen the tropics... Tommy Bahamas... bunch of marketing guys made it up.

So yeah, we all fall for marketing/"branding..." (look at our current POTUS) But a bit of research can often lead you to a well made product that lives by quality, not just some cheesy endorsement.

Last edited by genec; 05-18-19 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 12:51 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3315 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
So yeah, we all fall for marketing/"branding..." (look at our current POTUS) But a bit of research can often lead you to a well made product that lives by quality, not just some cheesy endorsement.
I see you insist on bringing your TODS to Foo. So sad that you are that obsessed
Old 05-18-19, 12:57 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post
Student loans, college books/online content, online gaming, video game consoles, bottled water, insurance, sporting events and merchandise, etc. The internet giants are ripoff enablers via data sales. Amazon, Walmart, and private prisons are similar rackets with cheap labor.

Maybe also Spotify.

Nope not a ripoff unless someone is putting a gun to your head, knowingly selling to someone that does not have the maturity or mental capacity to make aa informed decision or are completely misrepresenting their product.
Old 05-18-19, 03:16 PM
Kent T

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
And just what did BEATS do? Yet people flock to the stuff as if it is something special. I caught my own son saying he wanted "Beats" headphones for his video editing... I asked why "Beats." "uh, they're supposed to be good." Really, by what metric. "They're expensive."

Hey, I't not immune... a couple decades ago I bought a Nautica brand jacket... thinking "Nautica," sounds like it should be good. First rain I wore it in, it bled dark blue all over my shirt. It was crap as far as foul weather gear. Now I know better... and look for brands like Gill and Mustang among others. There is a line of "Caribbean" clothing that has never seen the tropics... Tommy Bahamas... bunch of marketing guys made it up.

Beats did nothing. A name. Not accurate sounding either. For accurate headphones, there's Sennheiser, AKG, and Beyer Dynamic to name some favorites used by demanding audiophiles and recording engineers and in broadcasting work. Who's headphones are worth buying. Audio-Technica and Shure also make excellent headphones worth owning.
Old 05-19-19, 04:36 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
I see you insist on bringing your TODS to Foo. So sad that you are that obsessed
Just another example of empty "branding," thus it fits this thread.
Old 05-19-19, 06:54 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Just another example of empty "branding," thus it fits this thread.
No president in history has ever occupied my every thought like this one does to you. It must be horrible ti be haunted like that,. I cannot imagine.
Old 05-19-19, 08:51 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Nope not a ripoff unless someone is putting a gun to your head, knowingly selling to someone that does not have the maturity or mental capacity to make aa informed decision or are completely misrepresenting their product.
That sounds like the classic response for those that profit by the exploitation of the less advantaged.

Correction: because you're not forced to buy it means its not illegal. But selling a product for 600% more than it would on average is most certainly a rip-off.

I'm sure you wouldn't be so accommodating and think differently if you were on the paying end of only one supermarket in your community that raised its prices similarly for no good reason except they had a monopoly.
Old 05-19-19, 08:54 AM
Zedoo
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Bikes: several

Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
And John Deere tractors. https://www.wired.com/story/john-dee...ght-to-repair/
Old 05-19-19, 10:05 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
That sounds like the classic response for those that profit by the exploitation of the less advantaged.

Correction: because you're not forced to buy it means its not illegal. But selling a product for 600% more than it would on average is most certainly a rip-off.

I'm sure you wouldn't be so accommodating and think differently if you were on the paying end of only one supermarket in your community that raised its prices similarly for no good reason except they had a monopoly.

Reading comprehension problem? Try reading my post again. But I will explain it again just for you. As long as the company is not knowingly taking advantage of a mental infirmity, it doesn't matter if they are making 6 million percent profit. If you are stupid enough to buy a pair of tennis shoes just because some basketball star wears them then that is on you. Not the company that sells them.

And in your last statements you are moving the goal post. That is called price gouging and it is illegal.