Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rainy weather shoe covers for regular shoes.

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 09:39 PM
bentstrider
Lean, neat and eat meat!!

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport and an old Sears beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I get ragged on a lot about it, but I simply choose not to go with a cleated pedal setup.
With that in mind, I encounter rainy weather from time-to-time and as often as I equip myself with the proper pants and jacket, I never find any neoprene shoe covers for regular shoes, even the largest ones are still formed to fit over cleats for whatever reason and do nothing to keep my shoes dry.
Aside from those aqua-socks, I'm wanting to find something that's already available as opposed to "making something from scratch, all ghetto."
Old 05-08-11, 08:50 PM
____asdfghjkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this what you are asking?
https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Rain-...hoe-Cover.html

couldn't find any neoprene ones. :/

I wonder the same thing too. I dont know, that was one thing I could find on google. still looking
Old 05-09-11, 03:47 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I have work boot galoshes like these ones, they slip on and off easily enough and are waterproof. I bought mine locally at a work boot shop for 30$, but you can sometimes get overshoes at Men's stores, they might be a bit much in hot weather but they'd be great in spring and autumn.

I ride on BMX pedals in the winter because I use massive sorel boots... the bmx pedals still grip even when my boots get snowy and icy... feet stay dry.
Old 05-17-11, 06:53 AM
Matt Dixon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride flat pedal year around with boots for winter and t shoes in the warmer months. I wrap them with Endura Luminite Shoe Covers, have ridden in some good down pours and had very little problem. I use them in winter to put around my boots for added protection when the roads are melting. like all rain gear a good coating of waterproofing in a can really improves the water resistance of the material.
Old 05-17-11, 02:24 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ____asdfghjkl
I've got a pair of those that I'll let you have for $20 w/free shipping. I wore them I think two times, and they leaked. So I got the heavy duty Showers Pass Touring Shoe cover. You can go to war with those on. But its the only shoe cover that keeps me totally dry in a steady downpour on my 45 min commute. They'll handle any shoe you put in them. I've also got a pair of Louis Garneau Stoptech shoecovers that I use more for warmth than rain protection. They suck in the rain too.
Old 05-18-11, 04:04 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I wear leather shoes with gators.You won't make any fashion statements but your feet will be dry.
Old 05-20-11, 01:12 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with Hi-Tec (brand name) waterproof shoes and gaitors and wool socks, no problems at 22 below zero F. Also work well for rainy rides as well.
Old 05-21-11, 03:34 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___50052

I've got some, they've been used a few times, but normally I just wear sandals and wool socks when it's raining.
Old 05-25-11, 06:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just different shoes.. LL Bean boots, Low 6" top version..

Or Neos galoshes

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-25-11 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-27-11, 07:41 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until I get something more hi tech, I wear my beater running sneakers. At work switch to work shoes and dry socks. Sneakers are dry by day's end.
Old 08-28-11, 02:09 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Just a few minutes ago I posted my solution to a current thread on C&A, "Winter/Rain bootie advise sought":

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'll ride [commute] in the rain, and will start out in anything less than drenching. I agree that wet feet are the most uncomfortable part. What works for me is a plastic bag over my socks with the bag opening tucked in over the socks; then I put on the shoes. Another plastic bag goes over the shoes, and if I'm wearing cycling tights, the ankle of the tights is over the second plastic bag. Finally I use a pair of rubber boots, like Totes over the second plastic bag. My current Totes have a couple small holes in them, but the above described system still keeps my feet and shoes free of rainwater. At the end of the ride [of 14 miles or greater] my feet still may be damp from perspiration, but it's hardly noticeable compared to drenching rain and I'm comfortable.
Old 08-29-11, 10:06 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Winter insulated waterproof boots work for me. Or just waterproof if you're from CA.
Old 09-04-11, 08:27 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As of this date its the last chance for the Showers Pass Touring Shoe cover. I guess they're discontinuing them so they have them on sale, 50% off. A heavy duty shoe cover that will handle anything Mother Nature throws at it. Get em' while they last.

https://www.showerspass.com/catalog/c...ing-shoe-cover