Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Changing Phil Wood Hub Spacings

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 12:46 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts

Problem:

Have: 1970's Phil Wood 5-speed hub with 120 mm spacing

Need: 1970's Phil Wood hub with 126-mm spacing.

Bounds:

I do not want to cold set the fame to 120mm.

I do not want to buy a new (to me, at least) hub.

Fixable??
Old 05-24-12, 01:46 AM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send an email with pictures to Phil Wood. They can change it for you. If it's old enough to have press-fit axle caps, you might have a hard time changing it yourself.
Old 05-24-12, 04:16 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
4-5 years ago I had to send my early '70s rear hub to Phil in order to have the spacing changed. The service requires new bearings. The cost was about $75 IIRC.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-24-12, 06:44 AM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the same problem. The nice folks at Phil Wood said they woul swap out the axle for around thirty bucks, and if the bearings were bad, those would be around twenty.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 05-24-12, 07:50 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
It's been a long time but if you remove the freewheel with sker holding the tool tight without the special Phil tool the axle may pull out.
Old 05-24-12, 08:34 AM
LeicaLad 

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Send it in. They also have a phone number, so you can call to get the ref # for service. They are exceedingly nice.

You'll be buying a new axle, DO replace the bearings, and then you're set for the rest of your life (with this hub, anyway)!!!
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 05-24-12, 04:22 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I've done it myself but it wasn't easy as I remember. On my hub there were multiple pieces to the axle and you had to have the right combination of parts for the desired spacing. The engagement of the axle stubs was only about 1/16" IIRC and it was a very tight fit.

If the hub is unlaced I'd send it in. If it's in a wheel you'll probably have to unlace it before sending it in. I think Phil's customer service is one of the great things about their products. They're very helpful.
Old 05-24-12, 04:25 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
If the hub is unlaced I'd send it in. If it's in a wheel you'll probably have to unlace it before sending it in. I think Phil's customer service is one of the great things about their products. They're very helpful.
They changed their rules a couple years ago. They will work on a hub in an assembled wheel for a few extra bucks now.
Old 05-24-12, 08:21 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
Looks like a PIA as I am going to have to unlace the wheel. Merde'
Old 05-26-12, 02:09 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
This is an easy fix actually.

You'll just need a drive-side axle end-cap that's a few millimeters longer, determined by how much added width you want on the driveside.
I would try for the minimum, say 4-5mm longer, based on whether 4mm will give you enough clearance between your chosen freewheel and the frame, since pinching the stays together 1-2mm with the QR is a non-issue.
The availability of various exact end-cap lengths will have to be answered by Phil, after you call or email them with your hub type and existing end-cap details.

I would first remove the freewheel, and MiamiJim is right, you must not create an over-tension force on the QR skewer if your particular freewheel requires holding the tool in place with the skewer.

Remove tension from the QR nut AS SOON AS the freewheel breaks free, or you'll cause the bearings in the old Phil hubs to shift as the freewheel backs off and pulls harder on the skewer.
A Shimano, Sunrace, IRD or later Sachs/Maillard and certain other freewheels have the long spline type engagement and no skewer is ever needed, so no side-force ever pulls on the axle!

To remove the axle end cap, you'll drive it off from the opposite side using an old QR skewer thru the axle and cocked to one side so as to catch on the inside edge of the driveside axle cap.
I would have a hammer ready, but first shield the bearing seal with a couple of washers and foil and then blast the axle end cap with a blow torch for a solid 10-15 seconds before knocking the cap off with the QR skewer and the hammer.
This will minimize the force needed to remove the axle end cap, which will spare the bearings from possibly destructive side forces.

The new cap can then be compressed fully on, using a small bit of blue LocTite, by compressing the axle from both ends and with NO forces through the hubshell or spokes.
I have used a hammer with the opposite end of the axle on a sheet of plywood on the ground, but you might also be able to use the QR skewer for this with a washer on each end of the axle.

Lastly, the wheel will need to be re-dished.

Does any of this sound difficult or time-consuming? Ok, the re-dish SHOULD take a while if you get the tensions nicely equalized, so you might want to apply a mini-drop of light oil to each spoke nipple's threads at this time, to make the dishing job easier later. A drop of WD40 into each rim/nipple junction is also helpful without attracting much dirt later.

Last edited by dddd; 05-26-12 at 02:24 PM.