Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano racing components bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shimano racing components bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 04:52 PM
gjgooglm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Racing Components- decals - history

[/QUOTE]

Are these Shimano decals limited to a span of years with this specific style? When did they first appear? I am trying to identify a similar frame, in white, with no ID marks, only "60" stamped on the left side of the head tube. Thank you!
Old 05-09-19, 05:32 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Zombie thread alert!

6 years and counting.

It's ok.
A time-traveling zombie, no less Took me a while to figure out that you were quoting a post that would appear 9 minutes later ... ?!
Old 05-09-19, 05:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
A time-traveling zombie, no less Took me a while to figure out that you were quoting a post that would appear 9 minutes later ... ?!
Some times I get ahead of myself.
Old 05-10-19, 09:59 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by gjgooglm
Are these Shimano decals limited to a span of years with this specific style? When did they first appear? I am trying to identify a similar frame, in white, with no ID marks, only "60" stamped on the left side of the head tube. Thank you!
Such stickers were often included in the box when you bought higher grade components. Consequently, the vast majority were applied by owners and have no direct relationship to the OEM equipment or age of the bicycle. For instance, in your case, the frame appears to be repaint and it also has two SunTour stickers. The probability of the Shimano sticker being OEM is negligible.

The one item on your frame with a discernible date is the English threaded Shimano bottom bracket, which has a cups dated May 1991. However, like the stickers, this is almost certainly a later addition.

The frame itself has a some conflicting features from both a hierarchy and chronological perspective. The frame has nice, investment cast bridges and seat lug suggesting 1980s, higher grade. The lack of a pump peg would suggest early to mid-1980s. It also has cable routing under the BB shell via a nylon guide. Yet, there does not appear to be any brazed-on shift levers, as a detail picture shows a clamp stop, which would typically indicate an older frame and/or a lower level. Dropout eyelets would typically not be seen on high grade racing frame in the 1980s.

Unfortunately, you did not include an overall pictureso I cannot tell if it has water bottle bosses or a front derailleur braze-on, or assess the geometry. Also, I don't see any branding on the dropouts. Since it is not built up yet, it would be worthwhile to remove the fork and check for manufacturer and date code stamping. Knowing the proper sized seat post would also be helpful.

There are too many pics to do an assist, so here's the link to the OP's photo gallery. https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/13785215

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-10-19 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 04:17 PM
gjgooglm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame angles - origin Japan?

Thank you T-Mar. I took a shot of the entire frame, then did a quick CAD overlay, mainly for approximating the angles of the frame. (I can't include images in a reply, apparently, so I added to the existing album you linked.) The seatpost tube has an ID of 26.9mm. Does the the "60" on the left side of the head tube mean anything? The rear dropout spacing measures 124mm, and the hanger looks slightly bent. I pulled the fork - no markings, no signs of other, previous colors of paint. Same with the bottom bracket cable guide -- no markings underneath.

Last edited by gjgooglm; 05-10-19 at 04:36 PM. Reason: updates album