Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Live to 100 or more?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Live to 100 or more?

Old 08-06-19, 05:01 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
A couple of years ago a newspaper, I think it was the NYTimes, had an article on centenarians in which they asked a group of 100 year olds how they managed to stay alive for a hundred years. The answer I remember was one guy who said "Because I didn't die.".
Likes For ironwood:
Old 08-13-19, 12:51 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
When I was offered early retirement, I ran all my finances all the way to 100 y.o. Not that I would be expecting to live that long but I wanted to be sure I wouldn't run out of money in my 80s or 90s.

My father had smoked all throughout my childhood and only quit when I left home. He would have been about 53 when he quit. He lived to 85. I believe, at 58 now, I'm way more active than my father was at this age. But in his later years when he gave up driving, he still went out everyday by bus and he was a fairly fast walker.
Old 08-13-19, 01:19 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So I'm going to enjoy my homemade bread with white flour.

It's not your overall picture I'm disagreeing with. It's your specific's of white sugar and white flour. ..
My wife and I eliminated sugar and enriched flour products about 12 years ago now. We only mill our own grains and bake everything fresh: bread, muffins, pancakes, tortillas, garlic bread(s), braided breads, etc.

There is an enormous nutritional difference between freshly milled grain and what passes for "flour" in the modern world.

As for sugar, it has become almost unavoidable. No pre-made sauces, no salad dressings, no crackers, no ketchup...you get the picture. It was a drastic step, but we're glad that we made the change.
Old 08-13-19, 01:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I'm hoping all the time on the bike will eventually pay dividends for a long healthy life.

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-13-19, 01:37 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My wife and I eliminated sugar and enriched flour products about 12 years ago now. We only mill our own grains and bake everything fresh: bread, muffins, pancakes, tortillas, garlic bread(s), braided breads, etc.

There is an enormous nutritional difference between freshly milled grain and what passes for "flour" in the modern world.

As for sugar, it has become almost unavoidable. No pre-made sauces, no salad dressings, no crackers, no ketchup...you get the picture. It was a drastic step, but we're glad that we made the change.
Some years ago when still living in my home town in a rural area of upstate N.Y., I was buying stone ground whole wheat flower from a nearby mill that also grew the wheat. I baked two loaves at a time. The delicious aroma from the oven compelled me to immediately eat the first loaf. I can see why Europeans are such compulsive foodies and insist on the freshest ingredients.
Old 08-16-19, 07:49 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my 92 yr old Dad recently told me he has no money to leave me, only longevity
My father was a pilot and was retired at age 60. He lived to 85. He once told me "If I knew I was going to outlive my money, I would have found another job"
Likes For frogbiscuit:
Old 08-16-19, 09:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm hoping all the time on the bike will eventually pay dividends for a long healthy life.

Nice sentiment and graphic arrangement of the smilies.
Old 08-16-19, 09:43 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
not sure about you guys and gals, but a lot of the elderly people I see don't seem all that happy

they are alive but cannot really get out and do anything

as I'm aging (57 now) the paradox that I've been thinking about lately is by riding a lot (I do), it is prolonging my life beyond what it would be

maybe I'm in the minority but getting really old doesn't seem all that attractive to me

cheers!
Old 08-16-19, 11:08 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
When it comes to aging, there are really only two options: get older or die.

End of life is typically 'hard', weather it's at 65 years old with lung cancer or 101 year old with heart failure.

My grandmother at 101 years old is enjoying life. She not enjoying life like I do at 50, but that makes sense. And I don't enjoy my life the way my 27 year old daughter does ...

I just finished The DAMn - one of the riders that left Gary, SD at midnight was John. John is nearly 80 years old and only missed out finishing this 240-mile one-day race because of a missed turned in the middle of the night and lost an hour to the mistake - this extra time lead to him missing the time cut off at check point 3 (mile 187). I feel pretty good about the opportunity to have another 30 years of ultra-endurance adventure rides.

If interested, you'll see John in this promo clip - there's a documentary coming out in the next month or two that will be at some film festivals
(that sunrise clip with the wheel in the frame - that was the Toad's GoPro )

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-16-19, 05:00 PM
berner

My motto; do as much as you can as long as you can.
Old 08-16-19, 05:16 PM
berner

Today I went on a short ride around town and to the beach area of Colt State Park for girl watching and book reading. You know, something for the mind and bod. During the loop through town I noticed a very heavy set man mounting his step through bike. He was so heavy he was unable to lift his leg to actually step through and had to lift his shorts with one hand for extra leverage. My first reaction was wonderment at how a person could let that happen to themselves. My next reaction a moment later was admiration that he faced up to his situation and had deceided to change it.

I know how difficult it was for me to quite smoking after many years so anyone who tries to change their life for the better should be applauded.
Old 08-17-19, 07:19 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
My plan is simple. Work until I'm dead or disabled.

I'm 54 years old now, I would like to go to at least 62 years old still repairing machines. That would be 40 years straight in my industry.

Then I'll have to look for another line of work. Something easier on the knees and back.

My mom retired in her upper 60s and promptly went into another line of work. She is set to retire for good at the end of this year at age 78.

My dad retired in his upper 60s and made it to 82.
Old 08-19-19, 02:06 PM
Hawkowl2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That this topic is still alive is testament to media power. Lots of money and talent has been used to convince us that a long life is a worthy goal. At the same time the governments and insurance companies put age restrictions on treatments and drugs.

Ride the bike/trike. Walk and run. Lift weights. Have an excellent diet. Do all those things so you can enjoy today. Don't ignore the future. You may be part of it.

But, for most of us old age is, or will be, a drag.The machine in which we live requires much more maintenance and is more vulnerable to all kinds of disease and accident.

A common complaint of really old people is they have outlived most, if not all, of the friends they raised families with and with whom they shared life's important events.

Nope, living to 100 is not a worthy goal. Doing what is necessary to live a vital life now is. Plus, it may give you the energy and strength to do more than endure old age.
Likes For Hawkowl2:
Old 08-23-19, 08:33 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
When it comes to aging, there are really only two options: get older or die.

End of life is typically 'hard', weather it's at 65 years old with lung cancer or 101 year old with heart failure.

My grandmother at 101 years old is enjoying life. She not enjoying life like I do at 50, but that makes sense. And I don't enjoy my life the way my 27 year old daughter does ...

I just finished The DAMn - one of the riders that left Gary, SD at midnight was John. John is nearly 80 years old and only missed out finishing this 240-mile one-day race because of a missed turned in the middle of the night and lost an hour to the mistake - this extra time lead to him missing the time cut off at check point 3 (mile 187). I feel pretty good about the opportunity to have another 30 years of ultra-endurance adventure rides.

If interested, you'll see John in this promo clip - there's a documentary coming out in the next month or two that will be at some film festivals
(that sunrise clip with the wheel in the frame - that was the Toad's GoPro )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yflf6bH8Z9o
I'm in a better mood after reading this, thanks!
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 08-23-19, 08:53 AM
Tenover

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 2 Posts
I agree, unfortunately I don't always practice that?
Old 08-24-19, 09:41 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Having the goal to try and live to 100 or more is misguided, IMO But trying to live as healthy as possible is a great goal...
Old 08-24-19, 10:15 AM
Tenover

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Having the goal to try and live to 100 or more is misguided, IMO But trying to live as healthy as possible is a great goal...
I’ve been blessed with good health, still enjoying riding my bike, surfing (when it’s good) and golfing. Im not a health nut, like an occasional craft beer, live music and try to moderate my life the best I can. I have a great wife (40 yrs), kids (married) and a beautiful grand-baby! Im very content, whether it’s 65 or 100, only time will tell.
Old 08-24-19, 12:08 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenover
I’ve been blessed with good health, still enjoying riding my bike, surfing (when it’s good) and golfing. Im not a health nut, like an occasional craft beer, live music and try to moderate my life the best I can. I have a great wife (40 yrs), kids (married) and a beautiful grand-baby! Im very content, whether it’s 65 or 100, only time will tell.
Well, guess no blessings here with joints failing, already a new shoulder and putting off the 2 knees and wrist, some leaky heart valves, some cancer. Only 6 weeks ago I rode 141 miles for my 69th birthday then 101 mile memorial ride for a friend who was killed by a semi and now today's short 70 miles has me feeling like run over doggie doo doo. Just had a biking friend who is a total health nut diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and he's younger and stronger than me.

IMO, some are lucky throughout life and some aren't.
Old 08-24-19, 02:17 PM
Tenover

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Well, guess no blessings here with joints failing, already a new shoulder and putting off the 2 knees and wrist, some leaky heart valves, some cancer. Only 6 weeks ago I rode 141 miles for my 69th birthday then 101 mile memorial ride for a friend who was killed by a semi and now today's short 70 miles has me feeling like run over doggie doo doo. Just had a biking friend who is a total health nut diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and he's younger and stronger than me.

IMO, some are lucky throughout life and some aren't.
Well my friend, sorry to here about the bad hand you were dealt. Life is definitely not fair but, a blessing! Hang in there!
Old 08-24-19, 02:32 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-24-19, 05:34 PM
Tenover

Let's ligthen it up a little

Here's to all the hard riding, hard working and those fighting the good fight! This carb is on me...........

Last edited by Tenover; 08-24-19 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 08:05 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
My wife’s grandfather lived to 91. Had a grip like a vise and drove a Caddy til the end. Used to eat Twinkie everyday; )
Old 08-26-19, 09:15 AM
Tenover

Sweet
Old 09-01-19, 02:25 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Just watch out for swimming - especially in cold water

Often hear of oldies dying from a swim - Franco Columbu suffered a heart attack (myocardial infarction) whilst swimming off the coast of San Teodoro, Sardinia, Italy and subsequently drowned on August 30, 2019. He was 78 years old.

One of Italy’s most decorated cyclists, Felice Gimondi, has died, aged 76. Gimondi passed away on Friday after suffering a heart attack while swimming on holiday in Giardini Naxos on the coast of the island of Sicily. Despite receiving medical attention, he was unable to be revived.

The immediate shock of the cold causes involuntary inhalation, which if underwater can result in drowning. The cold water can also cause heart attack due to vasoconstriction; the heart has to work harder to pump the same volume of blood throughout the body.
Old 09-02-19, 01:15 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well you missed my point. The point of yours that I was contesting was your only diet guideline....avoid white sugar and white flour.

I just don't see how avoiding white sugar is going to be a magic bullet to put you well on your way to health if you substitute any other sugar in it's place.
He actually explained it to you. Sugar in whole fruits and vegetables are much better for you because the fiber in whole foods regulates the absorption of sugar, which determines whether the sugar is used as energy or converted into fat. Seems like bit of a stretch to pretend he is telling you there are no other guidelines in a good diet.