Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

navigation device and audio options

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 07:40 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

hi there im in need of some advice for navigation devices , id like it to do voice tts turn by turn load gpx custom routes and be able to run my music through it .

on longer rides i like to have my music from my phone playing with the tts voice prompts as well , google maps does it very well but , but these cheap phones i run dont last very long , i just tried osmand AND it drain my battery so fast i could watch the percents fall as i road . i was thinking of maybe a battery extender case , or a gps cycling navigation device , i doubt i can get all that i want in one , basically i set of earbuds with my music and the tts voice in my ear so i dont have to look as a screen , but io guess garmins and wahoos are good enough to have the screen fully lit in the dark or light for more than 10 hours ????
Old 10-31-18, 07:55 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
hi there im in need of some advice for navigation devices , id like it to do voice tts turn by turn load gpx custom routes and be able to run my music through it .

on longer rides i like to have my music from my phone playing with the tts voice prompts as well , google maps does it very well but , but these cheap phones i run dont last very long , i just tried osmand AND it drain my battery so fast i could watch the percents fall as i road . i was thinking of maybe a battery extender case , or a gps cycling navigation device , i doubt i can get all that i want in one , basically i set of earbuds with my music and the tts voice in my ear so i dont have to look as a screen , but io guess garmins and wahoos are good enough to have the screen fully lit in the dark or light for more than 10 hours ????

No, they don't run for 10 hours with backlight for 10 hrs.

Your best bet would be an external battery, like 12000 mHa, and charge the phone continuously while riding. Both should fit in a top tube bag easily.
Old 10-31-18, 09:58 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One my issues is too much weight and clutter on my bars . i carry two phones and a pocket juice now . google maps seems to drain the batt less with thw screen off and the app in the backround .

So I've never used a high ish end garmin or wahoo like device , do you toggle the screen off and on to save battery life, does it at keast give you a loud beep when you are near your turn , what would you do with one for a 10 hour ride ?
Old 11-01-18, 04:19 AM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Haven't done a 10 hour but my Wahoo bolt does OK on navigation for centuries and has ~30% battery left after 6.5 hours. It lights up some LEDs across the top when turns are coming but the back light stays off most of the time
Old 11-01-18, 08:52 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Hammerhead Karoo
Old 11-01-18, 02:33 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Why are you paying money to have machines tell you where you're going and distract you with entertainment on the way? To me that doesn't sound much more fun than parking a stationary in front of the TV.

My bicycles have a mission: they are exploratory vehicles. When I'm out on a ride and see a side road I haven't been on, I take it. Sometimes I deliberately try to get lost. So far I haven't succeeded at that, but every time I try, I get a little less lost on my next ride. I have a map in my head, and the details keep getting filled in.

I like to listen to the ambience, too, especially birdsong. If I need music, I've got a headful waiting, or I can compose my own to match the feel of the ride.
Old 11-01-18, 04:07 PM
DimplePimple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
One my issues is too much weight and clutter on my bars . i carry two phones and a pocket juice now . google maps seems to drain the batt less with thw screen off and the app in the backround .

So I've never used a high ish end garmin or wahoo like device , do you toggle the screen off and on to save battery life, does it at keast give you a loud beep when you are near your turn , what would you do with one for a 10 hour ride ?
You can download Google Maps for offline use. Then you can kill the radios that should add a couple of hours(on a new iPhone at least).