Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going to work???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Going to work???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 03:40 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Going to work???

I'm semiretired and every week the thought comes up WHY? It is raining steadily today and I go in about 0200. Don't want to work soaked for 10 hours in a prison. But it easily pays the insurance for the boss and I. I don't want to let that go. Maybe I will have to drive at 0200. Be Well. Bluesfrog.
Old 08-25-19, 04:20 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Yes, I am going back to work on Sept. 3rd, I drive a school bus. The last 3 summers I drove an open air, diesel trolley for Bethany Beach, DE. I was going to do that again this summer but I just had too many things going on. My Mom was dying of cancer, she passed on August 10th, and I have had some health issues of my own. I was able to go to Loves Park, IL numerous times to help with and spend time with my Mom. Also, I have pedaled a fair amount of miles. I normally have 3 school routes per day, mid day route for 3 and 4 year old tots that go to a head start program, but I think this school year I will stick to just the normal am and pm routes. That frees up a lot of day time hours. Most of the extra money I make goes into bicycles in one way or another. I really want to cut back on that. I know to do that I have to stop looking at bikes and bike stuff but it has become somewhat of a habit. I am 67 and probably could totally retire, but not and live the way I like to, and I really do not want to. So, I think for now, I am just going to cut back on the amount of time working, coinciding with cutting back on my spending habits. There really is not much I need, out of the ordinary day to day living expenses. One of my bikes is in the process of rebuilding the drive train. I already have all I need to complete that. I have a couple of doctor appts. coming up to get the results of a few tests I have had recently. I kind of need to wait for those, see where I am health wise, and go from there. What do I really want to do? "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike. I want ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like."
Old 08-25-19, 06:02 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Call me LAZY 'cause I never wanted any part of "going back to work." p.s. -- and BOSS LADY insisted on me staying away while she worked until 65. p.p.s. -- Ate healthy, exercised, felt GREAT, even had 2 Ironman Florida events, Six Gap Century rides, marathons, half marathons , blah-blah-blah and cancer showed up.

So Be LIFE

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 08-25-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 06:13 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Retired 5 years ago and have flirted with the idea of going back to work part time as I get bored easily and would like the extra money. Then, I think about all the years I could not do what I wanted , when I wanted and said "Nah". Adjusted spending habits a bit and am living comfortably with wife ( she retired at end of last year) and we can now go camping when we want to, not subject to a work schedule.

I can also ride everyday I feel like it. Retirement is wonderful.
Old 08-25-19, 06:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
...My Mom was dying of cancer, she passed on August 10th, and I have had some health issues of my own...
I know that's inevitable as we age but it's still tough to cope with. Been there. I was primary caregiver and personal finances manager for three consecutive older family members. My background was in nursing and I was the nearest family, so I was the logical choice. I just didn't expect when I started doing that at age 40 I'd still be doing it 20 years later. Still, it was worth it and kept my grandparents and mom in their own homes for as long as possible, instead of nursing homes.

After my mom died last year after long bout with Alzheimer's and pneumonia, I figured I'd go back to work full time. But I'd neglected my own health for so long I wound up with thyroid cancer that might have been caught sooner. Then I was hit by a car while I was riding my bike, busting my my shoulder and aggravating an old neck injury. Over a year later I'm still recovering.

When the folks at the VA health care center suggested why don't I just take early retirement at age 60, I thought... why not? Less money, for now, but who knows how much longer I have? Might as well enjoy myself while I can.

It's weird, having no responsibilities for the first time in 20 years (not even including the previous 20 years with marriages and kids, although I've been divorced for many years and the kids are all grown). Well, no responsibilities other than for my own health and looking after the three cats I inherited from my mom. But I kinda enjoy it on the good days when I feel well enough to ride my bike. I don't even feel guilty sleeping late. Or spontaneously deciding to take a midnight bike ride since it's too dang hot in Texas in August unless I start at dawn and finish by 11 am.

I might go back to work if my health continues to improve. But I can't say I miss working.

That's very different from a longtime good friend, who worked until she was 75... and then discovered she was unmoored, aimless and lost without a job or mission. So now she's busy with volunteer work. Or my dad who worked until age 78. A year later he was dead from prostate cancer. He did what he wanted to do, had a wonderful wife and second batch of younger sons. I doubt he had any regrets. But it's not what I feel like doing anymore.
Old 08-26-19, 05:26 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I retired @ age 49, took a higher paying job after that for 6 years and I'll never work another day in my life for money. I do some volunteer work with a local civic club but even then, I place hard line limits on my time. I started working at age eleven with two paper routes, one AM & one PM and dreamed of when my time would be my own. I won't trade that for anything.

Edited to add: You lost me at "prison"

Last edited by nomadmax; 08-26-19 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 06:46 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Reporting in at 2am and it's raining all the way there? Yep, I'd be driving.

I don't know what part of the prison you work in, but around here the indoor areas of prisons or jails that aren't "offender" housing can get cold from the AC. Being rain soaked and sitting in an AC chilled concrete building for hours would be misery.
Old 08-30-19, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
you'd think a prison would provide shower & lockers to the crew. no?