Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Stage 8: Pforzheim - Gérardmer

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Stage 8: Pforzheim - Gérardmer

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 09:15 AM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dolomiti
He had no teamates on La Mongie, when he was with an elite group of about 10 climbers... during which he attacked and only Basso could follow.
He didn't attack if I remember correctly. Azevedo rode everyone off but Lance and Basso.
Old 07-09-05, 09:16 AM
Cipo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woh, is it just me or did Lance sound a little p.o'ed at the lack of support from his teammates? He's gotta be feeling a little lucky that Kloden didn't get that 20 second time bonus.
Old 07-09-05, 09:18 AM
Dolomiti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil
He didn't attack if I remember correctly. Azevedo rode everyone off but Lance and Basso.
I distinctly remember Armstrong attacking after his teamates were gone.

Here is from the cyclingnews live report from that stage:

"16:58 CEST
Azevedo has dropped off now and Armstrong is alone with eight companions: Basso and Mayo there.

17:02 CEST
Armstrong jumps. ONly Basso is able to go with him."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004...lts/livecomp12

I think what you're talking about did happen, but it was a day later on Plateau de Beille
Old 07-09-05, 09:22 AM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dolomiti
I distinctly remember Armstrong attacking after his teamates were gone.

Here is from the cyclingnews live report from that stage:

"16:58 CEST
Azevedo has dropped off now and Armstrong is alone with eight companions: Basso and Mayo there.

17:02 CEST
Armstrong jumps. ONly Basso is able to go with him."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004...lts/livecomp12

I think what you're talking about did happen, but it was a day later on Plateau de Beille
Probably.

So the only time he was able to attack is on La Mongie, and his attack brought Basso immediately with him, and that was after Azevedo ripped the field apart. I wonder if Ace (or anyone else on Discovery) will be able to do so on Tuesday.. we'll see.
Old 07-09-05, 09:23 AM
ADA23
Celeste is best

Bikes: Bianchi XL Carbon 2003 Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this out!

https://www.letour.fr/2005/TDF/LIVE/us/800/index.html
Old 07-09-05, 09:25 AM
Dolomiti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the only time he was able to attack is on La Mongie, and his attack brought Basso immediately with him,
Well it was the only time he needed to attack alone. And every other time he needed to attack in his 6 Tour wins, he was successful. Though of course that was then and this is now... now against many in-form riders. Armstrong said himself that he didn't feel so strong today (though he showed no signs of weakness)
Old 07-09-05, 09:25 AM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow.
Old 07-09-05, 09:26 AM
Dolomiti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADA23
Looks like he won by... a centimeter?
Old 07-09-05, 09:27 AM
Bikeophile
BIG RING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too close to call
Old 07-09-05, 09:29 AM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.0002 of a second.
Old 07-09-05, 09:29 AM
ADA23
Celeste is best

Bikes: Bianchi XL Carbon 2003 Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They say they used the transponder on the chain stay to separate them. If this is the case then the transponder would have to be exactly in the same position on both bikes and even then it would be irrelevant because its the wheel that counts - I guess what I'm trying to say is how did they not call this a dead heat

Last edited by ADA23; 07-09-05 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-09-05, 09:33 AM
Bikeophile
BIG RING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope every finish is that close!
Old 07-09-05, 09:39 AM
Gustaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, nice stage.
Prepare for MAGENTA REIGN in the mountains.

Like someone else said, it would be interesting if everyone just went for broke and didn’t race for second or third. As close as it is right now, I don’t think racing for second and third is an option. The race is wide open.
Old 07-09-05, 09:40 AM
acrafton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok - here is a theory - what do you think:

I can't belive that ALL of the Discovery team was unable to keep up on a 4% climb. Paulo Salvadelli - come on, this is practically a downhill for him. Azevedo, Chechu, and even George could this ride easily with the lead. Something else is going on. Also, in the post stage interview lance essentially said the team sucked and he didn't feel good. If that were true I don't think he would be saying it as pointedly as he did.

So - could this be a ruse? Could Johann be playing games to make the field think Disco is in trouble to get them to go all out tomorrow and then be wasted by mid-week?

Not saying that I believe this but it makes more sense than thinking all the Disco guys got crushed on a 4% climb. . .If it isn't a ruse, Lance is finished.

Adam
Old 07-09-05, 09:44 AM
Bikeophile
BIG RING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acrafton

I can't belive that ALL of the Discovery team was unable to keep up on a 4% climb. Paulo Salvadelli - come on, this is practically a downhill for him. Azevedo, Chechu, and even George could this ride easily with the lead. Something else is going on. Also, in the post stage interview lance essentially said the team sucked and he didn't feel good. If that were true I don't think he would be saying it as pointedly as he did.

So - could this be a ruse? Could Johann be playing games to make the field think Disco is in trouble to get them to go all out tomorrow and then be wasted by mid-week?

Not saying that I believe this but it makes more sense than thinking all the Disco guys got crushed on a 4% climb. . .If it isn't a ruse, Lance is finished.

Adam
Good Point...I am not sure that Lance would talk so openly about being disappointed with himself and his team's performance and saying that "we need to talk".

But even if Disco is playing mind games...If T-Mobile and CSC (and others) start bringing the attacks, its going to be one heck of a race!
Old 07-09-05, 09:48 AM
Cipo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could Johann be playing games to make the field think Disco is in trouble to get them to go all out tomorrow and then be wasted by mid-week?
You mean like a Disco rope-a-dope? That theory crossed my mind as well, but with all the variables at play like punctures or mechanicals or somewhat unexpected performances like Kloden's big ride today, it seems like that would be an awfully risky strategy.
Old 07-09-05, 09:50 AM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's certainly possible.
Old 07-09-05, 09:55 AM
Dolomiti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any other team - no way. But Discovery... actually it may be true. I'm not trying to sound Ultra-Lance Defensive... but really, those comments and those actions of his team just don't seem normal at all.

They do do odd tactical things. Remember last year when Armstrong and the team totally downplayed the Pyrennees, and kept saying "alpe d'Huez is the stage"? Then of course told to OLN exactly the opposite, in a section of interview that wasn't broadcast until after the Pyrennees. And he said it in a tone of secrecy, really.

Who knows.
Old 07-09-05, 09:56 AM
carlk23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm wondering what Ullrich and Vino were thinking when Kloden rode away. Clearly Lance decided that Ullrich and Vino aren't going to give up their shot at winning the Tour and chose to mark them. Having three leaders on TMO may not be the best situation - think Lemond-Hinault 85-86. I'm betting that all of these guys, particularly Ullrich and Vino (who may not even be with TMO next year) will chase down a team mate.
Old 07-09-05, 10:04 AM
Allen H

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Adam
It's more plausible it's a ruse than that the whole team was in trouble on a 4% climb. It also wouldn't make sense for Lance to admit they sucked and he didn't feel good today, unless something else was up - that public admission was an open invitation to an attack-athon by everyone else tomorrow.
Old 07-09-05, 10:04 AM
2wheeled
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Adam
If Johann is playing poker then it's a dangerous game he's playing. He lost time to Kloden who has sucked this year but now looks pretty good and can be a threat. I personally think Dis. simply sucked eggs today and Lance IS pissed , he'll have some choice words for his team tonight. Dis.will step it up in the coming stages though.

What a great stage today. This will finally be the Tour that challenges LA. I love Vino's attacking style, he'll be on the podium. Great ride by Horner, I think we will see something special from him before the Tour's out.
Old 07-09-05, 10:07 AM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheeled
This will finally be the Tour that challenges LA.
Missed 2003, did you?
Old 07-09-05, 10:15 AM
doctorSpoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's certainly possible.
well, anything is possible... but i'm with Cipo on this one... if Lance had flated or crashed... his race would be over right now. the other thing is that now all their guys are down on GC.. so if they were planning on using them as threats to draw out the other team and make them work.. that strategy is basically out the window... if they planned it that way i'd give them an F- for strategy... it doesn't gain them anything and would be really, really risky... blowing the whole race risky! tomorrow if Lance's rivals were to see all the Disco guys in the bunch, and the attacks aren't working... they just adjust accordingly.... and the next day is a rest day so even if they expend themselves it has a reduced effect... yeah, if that's what they did i give them an F-, boneheaded!
Old 07-09-05, 10:18 AM
2wheeled
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Missed 2003, did you?
yeah, I guess.
2003 was a close tour.
Old 07-09-05, 10:27 AM
doctorSpoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlk23
I'm wondering what Ullrich and Vino were thinking when Kloden rode away. Clearly Lance decided that Ullrich and Vino aren't going to give up their shot at winning the Tour and chose to mark them. Having three leaders on TMO may not be the best situation - think Lemond-Hinault 85-86. I'm betting that all of these guys, particularly Ullrich and Vino (who may not even be with TMO next year) will chase down a team mate.
they were probably thinking... NICE MOVE!!, now all the other teams need to do all the work here and we will have a better chance at the day's finish if it comes back together. and if it doesn't come back together, still good... another t-mobile guy in striking distance. today Lance only needed to react when Vino and Ullrich attacked, as of tomorrow he will also have to react when Kloden goes too... if they really and truly play it like they have three leaders and it doesn't matter who wins, that's how they will beat Disco. Did you see Vino blocking for Kloden, slowing the group down.. that should give you a clue as to what he thought about Kloden's move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.