Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Steel frame with disc tabs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 11:23 PM
ljg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking to buy a touring bike that has a steel frame with disc tabs. Ideally the disc tabs should be between the chainstays and the seatstays so that rack mounting is easy. Initially I was hoping for a frame that could take 29er wheels for serious offroading, but I'll settle for a 700c frame that can take 45mm wide tires.

Is there such a touring bike out there? I'm looking to spend about $1500 (less is OK, more is pushing it) on the whole bicycle (not just the frame).
I have no problems acquiring a frame and getting my LBS to build it up for me (they charge no labour on a build if I buy the frame from them....and they promise try to get any frame I want (they'll do there best anyway).

This will be my first new bike in a long time. I haven't toured before, but I've been riding further and further on my old Raleigh Rocky (cheap moutain bike build up into a reasonable commuter). I also commute daily and carry a ton of stuff in my ortleib panniers (easily 45 pounds, 20kg) so I figured I would need a touring frame for the ability to carry weight well.

I am starting to lean toward a Surly LHT and have a disc tab brazed onto the frame, and get a different fork for it. But mainly because I haven't found anything else that would work.

Any ideas for a bicycle that would work?

Leslie

Last edited by ljg; 03-04-08 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 11:40 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Lemond Poprad is disc/steel, although it's really a CX bike, not a touring bike, and I don't know about your 45mm (!!!) tire requirement.

- Mark
Old 03-04-08, 11:54 PM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bit over your price range, but the Tout Terrain Silkroad is disc only including an asymmetrical fork designed for discs and will take from 26" through 650B to 700C: LINK

Last edited by Giro; 03-04-08 at 11:55 PM. Reason: correct Silk Road to Silkroad
Old 03-05-08, 12:07 AM
justinb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Salsa La Cruz, maybe?

For more frames like this, go to mtbr.com, find the 29er subforum, then search for "monstercross"
Old 03-05-08, 02:24 AM
fks
Shoot Your Car

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Gunnar Rock Tour

https://www.gunnarbikes.com/rocktour.php
Old 03-05-08, 04:04 AM
TheBrick
Tinkerer since 1980

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
karate monkey? Disk tabs in the wrong place I know but other than that could build up nicley I would guess.

Old 03-05-08, 10:56 AM
Fueled by Boh

Bikes: Cyclocross tourer, Redline Monofixie, Lemond Buenos Aires, surly KM, haro x3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gunnar rock tour +1

built with LX and anything you have laying around, it should be reasonable price-wise. 975 for the frame... no fork included. just get whatever surly fork works. you're looking for a pretty 'niche' product with a pretty mainstream budget.

if the price of a US hand-made frame is off putting, maybe the surly is the way to go. I've worked on a lot of surlys, and i own a long haul trucker and i've never had any frame-oriented problems with any of them. The karate monkey would be nice because you can convert it to a SS if your rear wheel decides to suck up your derailer, or if you tweak your drive train beyond functionality. It would be really nice to have semi-horizontals on the LHT so you could SS it in the event of derailer problems, or so you could run an internally geared hub like a nexus or rohloff.

Last edited by Fueled by Boh; 03-05-08 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 12:52 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6227 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,373 Posts
Originally Posted by ljg
Hello,

I am looking to buy a touring bike that has a steel frame with disc tabs. Ideally the disc tabs should be between the chainstays and the seatstays so that rack mounting is easy. Initially I was hoping for a frame that could take 29er wheels for serious offroading, but I'll settle for a 700c frame that can take 45mm wide tires.

Is there such a touring bike out there? I'm looking to spend about $1500 (less is OK, more is pushing it) on the whole bicycle (not just the frame).
I have no problems acquiring a frame and getting my LBS to build it up for me (they charge no labour on a build if I buy the frame from them....and they promise try to get any frame I want (they'll do there best anyway).

This will be my first new bike in a long time. I haven't toured before, but I've been riding further and further on my old Raleigh Rocky (cheap moutain bike build up into a reasonable commuter). I also commute daily and carry a ton of stuff in my ortleib panniers (easily 45 pounds, 20kg) so I figured I would need a touring frame for the ability to carry weight well.

I am starting to lean toward a Surly LHT and have a disc tab brazed onto the frame, and get a different fork for it. But mainly because I haven't found anything else that would work.

Any ideas for a bicycle that would work?

Leslie
Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 is a steel framed bike with disc tabs. The Raleigh Sojourn is also a disc equipped touring bike with a Gunnar type disc mount.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-05-08, 12:57 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
You're in Canada, check out the Marinoni tourismo extreme.
I'm not sure the disk tabs are where you want them, but you can get a custom frame made (for around 1000$ I think).

The kona sutra also has disk tabs.

Last edited by tuz; 03-05-08 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 01:16 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Surly Big Dummy!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-05-08, 01:19 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Salsa La Cruz. Geometry is pretty close to touring with relatively long chain stays, relaxed angles. Cost is only about $580 for frame and fork.
Old 03-05-08, 02:07 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Surly Big Dummy!
+1!!
Old 03-05-08, 11:18 PM
ljg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fks
I have looked at the Rock Tour, and it's pretty much what I want, I just don't think I can afford it right now. I was hoping something more mainstream, but with a design like the Rock Tour was available.

Leslie
Old 03-05-08, 11:22 PM
ljg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Salsa La Cruz. Geometry is pretty close to touring with relatively long chain stays, relaxed angles. Cost is only about $580 for frame and fork.
Thanks for the link! It looks close. I think the disc tabs would interfere with rack mounting though, (unlike in the Rock Tour) I would really like long chainstays, as I've got Size 13 feet and tend to wear big running shoes with toe clips, so the more heal room the better.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone! It really is helping!

Leslie

Last edited by ljg; 03-06-08 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-06-08, 01:24 AM
super-douper