Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Change Bike Frame DF-833B 19" (specs & built)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 11:47 AM
oranabana

Bikes: Trek 8700 (lost!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi, first time post here, and long time not been on a cycle. Here is a bit of background first...

I used to have a very sweet Trek 8700 (not a folding bike), which I had specced out with everything possible to make it light (this is back in 1992), and unfortunately lost it. So now I am a few years older, and not going to do much agressive MTB'ing, but still like to have the option to go off on trails in the hills here. Since I also increasingly like to accompany our little one on the bike, I needed something that fits into a car. But I really prefer the full size wheels, so I looked at Montague initially. I would have gone with them, if they only replied to my communications (emails/tweets unanswered, no response by phone, and no real representative here in Spain, where I could see the bike).

So Change it is. I ordered it from the UK, after talking to them on the phone. They confirmed that they received a shipment of frames and bikes on the 10th of Oct 2020, so I would not have to wait too long for it - lets hope thats correct.

So whilst I eagerly await the delivery of my frame, I have started looking around at the parts to put on it. I will not ride agressively downhill, but mostly urban, with some gravel roads and the occasional trail. But I want a light bike. Obviously hope to balance weight savings and cost (dont think it makes sense to buy titanium bolts and screws!).

I am looking at spending around the same amount on parts as on the frame (frame was 669 Euro). I think the main place to save weight will be wheels, cranks and groupset. I intend to use only one ring at the front and no suspension fork. Hoping to get it to below 11kg.

In case anyone is looking for some specs, I have just confirmed them with the producer in Taiwan:

- acceptable wheel size: 27.5”, tire max. 2.1

- seatpost seatpost is 31.6
- bottom bracket: 68mm, threaded BSA
- headset diameter and style: we will attach a headset for you with the frame.
- acceptable fork diameter and length (for the 19” size) fork 1.5T tapered length 470mm

If anyone has suggestions or thoughts on this built please let me know here. Also not sure where to buy bits, but currently looking at two websites in Spain which seems to have good pricing and a wide range of components. Has anyone ordered from them?

I hope to keep this threat updated until the bike is complete.
Old 10-26-20, 01:34 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Welcome, and I look forward to reading the developments
Old 10-27-20, 12:54 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Hello!
Good to see another user of the Change Bike 650b.

I have one converted to a gravel bike and wrote quite a bit about it here.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...bike-650b.html
Old 11-04-20, 04:51 AM
oranabana

Bikes: Trek 8700 (lost!)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Finally seems to be on its way - the bike frame. So I went ahead and started ordering parts. So far I found a local bike shop with a good selection and staff that seems helpful. But I already ordered the groupset (SRAM NX EAGLE 12V DUB), brakes (CLARKS M2) and wheels (MAVIC CROSSMAX 27,5") elsewhere, as it seemed a good price and in stock - so hoepfully can have the bike up and running by the middle of Nov. No pictures yet, but stay tuned...
Likes For oranabana:
Old 05-03-23, 11:40 AM
Bobfo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though the maximum stated wheel size for the CHANGE 833 frame is 650b, I personally ride a folding gravel bike with 700c wheels and 38mm tires built on it, with zero issues.