Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How difficult is to build Bianchi Oltre XR4 with Campy Record 12 mechanical?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 01:46 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts

I did some work on my Binachi Infinito with Chorus 11. I have quite a few tools and like to tinker with mechanics. The hardest project so far was to replace cassette to 32-11 along with the rear derailleur cage from small to medium. It was not that difficult and now it works better than from the store. The store mechanic used too short cable sleeve at one point that screwed up shifting. Another store did a few attempts to fix the shifting problems but did not see the real culprit. I read the Campy manual online and fixed the whole thing while increased the cassette range.

Now I'm thinking maybe I can build a whole new bike for me from parts bought online. Does it make sense? For example, I won't have a store warranty. Is it that valuable?

If the idea of building a bike myself is not that silly then where to find all the details about compatibility? For instance, what kind of bottom bracket should be chosen for Oltre XR4? Rim brakes mounting - XR4 uses direct mount. Specs for Record 12 offer under BB mount option. Should I use that or not?

Is it difficult to insert internal cabling?

Any pointers where to learn all the details would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-20, 01:54 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Bianchi can buy components cheaper than you can. If you buy a frame and all of the components separately it will generally end up costing you more than buying a complete new bicycle.
Old 03-02-20, 03:26 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
I purchased an XR4 frameset & built it up myself albeit with Shimano components not Campy but cables are cables. Not difficult at all to run them. I used the Wheels Mfg. thread-together style BB86/92. I'd go with the standard direct-mount calipers rather than the under BB option.
Hint when you run the derailleur cables remove the cable guide below the BB when you run them through the downtube it's much easier to get them through the slot in the frame. Also take care not to cross them internally. I wasn't so much concerned about cost as I was picking the exact components (wheels, bars, stem etc.) I wanted also it's a very enjoyable & rewarding experience. Can't point you to specific tips but I'm sure they're all over the internet.
West
Old 03-02-20, 05:43 PM
tankist

At LBS I was told that Bianchi stopped selling their bikes with Campy in USA. The LBS offered to do a custom build but gave a rather high quote. At least that was my impression after quick checking of prices on Internet. I guess I need to visit other stores and get more quotes. OTOH building a bike exactly as I want myself would be fun. And thanks for the hints!
Old 03-02-20, 06:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
At LBS I was told that Bianchi stopped selling their bikes with Campy in USA. The LBS offered to do a custom build but gave a rather high quote. At least that was my impression after quick checking of prices on Internet. I guess I need to visit other stores and get more quotes. OTOH building a bike exactly as I want myself would be fun. And thanks for the hints!
Online price checker.. at least some sites can make it easier.
https://www.texascyclesport.com/bian...d-it-your-way/
Old 03-02-20, 07:00 PM
tankist

Thanks a lot, that's quite useful.
Old 03-03-20, 09:03 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Internal cable routing can be a real pain, but a new frame should have cable liner routed through the frame, to make the job easier. Buy a 25 foot roll of liner to aid with future cable changes. I'm sure there are you tube videos that can help. I've built at least 15 bikes over the years, but my latest Colnago C-RS build was my first with internal cable routing. It did add some time to the job, but not all that much.

The oltre uses a pf86 bottom bracket. With Campy, you just buy the pf86 cups. You'll need a cup tool to press the cups in.

Back country has this frame for $4500, but Colorado cyclist has it for the same price, with a $450 off code. I notice that the stack height seems a little low for a given each. I'd want a little more info on the minimum stack, with the headset top section added. The frame is obviously intended for those who can tolerate plenty of saddle to bar drop.

I would not assume that building this bike yourself will cost more. As far as I can tell, it's only sold as a Shimano ultegra bike. If I was spending that much, I wouldn't want parts that will be outdated when 12 speed comes out next year.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-03-20 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-03-20, 12:26 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I normally build up my own bikes and have had very few issues with it over the years with a bit of research first on the more confusing issues such as my first Di2 bike. Press-fit BB is usually not an issue and YouTube has many hacks showing how to do it with a homemade tool. That said I hate joining Campy Chains with the provided guide pin system. Even with a purchase Park Chain Tool for the task, I screwed it up. Finding replacement pins was also a pain so I resorted to a quick link.
Old 03-03-20, 05:11 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The best for solution with Campy 12 is to avoid the Campy chain tool, if you don't have it and use a SRAM eagle 12 quick link to join the chain. I bought the Campy tool back in 2009 and use it for the first install of a 12 speed chain, but the first time I take the chain off for cleaning, the connecting pin and it's outer plates are removed, and an eagle 12 quick installed.
Old 08-24-20, 05:05 AM
Txirrindulari12

Bikes: Orbea, FUSO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photos of your bike??

Originally Posted by 2seven0
I purchased an XR4 frameset & built it up myself albeit with Shimano components not Campy but cables are cables. Not difficult at all to run them. I used the Wheels Mfg. thread-together style BB86/92. I'd go with the standard direct-mount calipers rather than the under BB option.
Hint when you run the derailleur cables remove the cable guide below the BB when you run them through the downtube it's much easier to get them through the slot in the frame. Also take care not to cross them internally. I wasn't so much concerned about cost as I was picking the exact components (wheels, bars, stem etc.) I wanted also it's a very enjoyable & rewarding experience. Can't point you to specific tips but I'm sure they're all over the internet.
West

Hello
My Bianchi frame is due anyday?!? (I ordered in May '20). I am curious about your choice of stem and spacers. I checked the geometry of the Oltre before purchase and it seems to mimic a Wilier Cento1 I had. I used a 13cm stem on the Wilier and plan to do so with the Bianchi. I did not order the Vison bar/stem combination Bianchi sells. Most photos of the this bike show a great deal of spacers between headset and stem.
thank you
My email is: bikedog122yahoo
Chris
I live in Getxo, Spain
Old 08-24-20, 05:06 AM
Txirrindulari12

Bikes: Orbea, FUSO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikedog12@yahoo
Old 08-24-20, 11:08 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
groupset source for you to check https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...g3lm5tvlco6aj0

Old 08-24-20, 03:28 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Txirrindulari12
Hello
My Bianchi frame is due anyday?!? (I ordered in May '20). I am curious about your choice of stem and spacers. I checked the geometry of the Oltre before purchase and it seems to mimic a Wilier Cento1 I had. I used a 13cm stem on the Wilier and plan to do so with the Bianchi. I did not order the Vison bar/stem combination Bianchi sells. Most photos of the this bike show a great deal of spacers between headset and stem.
thank you
My email is: bikedog122yahoo
Chris
I live in Getxo, Spain
Hi Chris I used an Easton EA90 10 deg. 130 mm stem and EC70 Aero-style bars. Put a 5mm spacer above & below the stem using negative 10 degree mounting worked out perfect. I bought the stem on sale at the time for @ $50 U.S. and the bars for $220 I don't know what current pricing and availability are. I also didn't order the Vision combo as I prefer the Easton set-up.
You'll love that XR4 that's for sure it is very comfortable and handles superbly.
West
Old 08-24-20, 03:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bianchi USA is Importing to west coast ports mostly a brand is jobbed out to the same handful of companies
building bikes many other brands too .. Taiwan is been so for many years..

Only the super premium stuff can be Italian made...