Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favorite grocery panniers?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 11-19-19, 08:54 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts

I know there's older threads like this, but products change a lot and I'm curious about current recommendations. We just ordered a midtail cargo bike and it should fit double regular panniers on the back, and I'm wondering what people's favorites are, mainly for grocery hauling. Open to both semi-permanently installed ones and ones I take into the store, but leaning towards the former (and just keeping cloth folding grocery bags in them all the time). If permanent ones, they need to fold flat when not in use. Want them to resist heavy rain for ~5 miles but don't need them to be 100% waterproof. I have teeny feet and no heel clearance concerns, but a set with heel cuts for the front pair might be good because I won't be the only one riding it.
Old 11-19-19, 07:27 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I won’t say they are the best or cheapest but I’ve used them for years. They have been terrific for my grocery and produce shopping.

https://www.rei.com/product/885305/o...pannier-single
Old 11-20-19, 12:07 PM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have these Bushwhacker Omaha - Bicycle Grocery Pannier but they're open top so no waterproofing, I've been using them for about two years solid but starting to feel the need for an upgrade.
Old 11-22-19, 03:40 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
I’m partial to Kitty Litter panniers using hardware from Jandd Mountaineering. You can either keep the folding lids on or remove them and drop in waxed canvas shopping bags. I’ve never found the need for grocery carriers to be water-proof because groceries themselves tend to be water-resistant. (Also I avoid rain days when shopping.) Altogether much less expensive than prefabbed panniers and more capacious. Plus they can stand up by themselves, most others such as Ortliebs will fall over if you try standing them up off your bike — big fail! Of course they don’t have heel cuts but would be fine for the rear. Plus you can accessories them with blinkies, reflectors and/or 1-1/4” reflective tape.

The HOMZ Flexible Tubs with Rope Handles which I use as underseat caddies on my recumbent bikes might also work in the front of your dual rack, especially if it has sloped supports like on my second bike’s Ibera. They would also attach with hardware from Jandd (just make your own bungie retaining strap with 1” poly webbing, 1/4” x3/4” oval or flat head screws and finishing washers.)

Kitty Litter recumbent Bicycle Panniers by andyXchrist, on Flickr

RANS XP Ibera Disk Rack MTB Reflector Rear Planet Bike Grateful Red Tail Light by andyXchrist, on Flickr

RANS Stratus XP Ibera Disk Rack w/ Marine D-Clips JANDD Mountaineering Kitty Litter Panniers by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Last edited by andychrist; 11-23-19 at 02:03 AM.
Likes For andychrist:
Old 11-23-19, 08:13 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
My 4x 25 litres capacity each, £19.99 per pair Brand X Pannier Bags have served me well on weekly shopping trips, several camping trips and many utility trips over the last 12 years. Alas they are beginning to show wear and tear commensurate with there lifespan and come the new year they will be replaced...………. with another set of 4 Brand X panniers!
Old 11-23-19, 08:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Easy answer - Ortleibs. Lift them off the bike, carry them into the store, toss them in the cart. Shop. Ask the clerk to put my groceries back in my cart. Load the bags myself so heavy and sturdy stuff goes into the front bags that go on a LowRider rack, lighter and bigger stuff in the rear bags. Get home and carry the bags into the kitchen. Any spills inside a pannier are as easy to clean as any pot. (Oh, and once the top is rolled shut, my food will stay fresh far longer if the weather turns hot and I take my time getting home.)

Ben
Old 11-25-19, 06:49 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Originally Posted by andychrist
I’m partial to Kitty Litter panniers using hardware from Jandd Mountaineering. You can either keep the folding lids on or remove them and drop in waxed canvas shopping bags. I’ve never found the need for grocery carriers to be water-proof because groceries themselves tend to be water-resistant. (Also I avoid rain days when shopping.) Altogether much less expensive than prefabbed panniers and more capacious. Plus they can stand up by themselves, most others such as Ortliebs will fall over if you try standing them up off your bike — big fail! Of course they don’t have heel cuts but would be fine for the rear. Plus you can accessories them with blinkies, reflectors and/or 1-1/4” reflective tape.
Very neat -- I might make a set of bucket panniers of some sort for really large shopping trips. (It's a midtail, so I could use bigger ones than the kitty-litter buckets as long as they're sturdy enough to not droop.) And yeah, I don't need waterproof, but being able to buy a box of cereal in heavy rain and not have the cardboard box completely fall apart because it's soaked through would be nice. Damp, fine, soaked, not so fine. I have Ortliebs for commuting but they're not the greatest for packing full of groceries because they're so unstructured.

Ideally, though, it'd be nice to have something I don't have to pull off if I'm transporting a passenger on the back, because we've got it set up for that. The ones that the company that makes the cargo bike sells will do that, but I wasn't a huge fan of them.
Old 11-25-19, 06:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Jandd. First set only lasted me 25 years. Fold flat when empty. Rain covers available. I use them for almost everything these days. They lift right off instantly, go on just as easily.

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP
Old 11-26-19, 01:17 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
North Street Bags Gladstone Grocery Pannier
https://northstbags.com/collections/grocery-panniers

Old 12-03-19, 11:10 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have a set of Ortliebs which are now about 25 years old and still hold up very well. I use them as my commuter bags for laptop and lunch, as shopping bag and as touring bag.
Old 12-07-19, 03:10 PM
antimonysarah

Well, it turns out the panniers for the Tern GSD cargo bike will fit ours (Xtracycle RFA) pretty well -- we'll need to sew on some extra velcro for one of the attachments, but they're exactly the right overall size. So hooray! They're big and boxy and fold nearly completely flat and attach in a million places so they're not going anywhere and can stay on the bike.
Old 12-12-19, 06:13 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
The stock bags that came with my Surly Big Dummy are fantastic for hauling groceries.
Old 09-04-20, 12:16 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I use a Basil shopping bag.

Old 09-04-20, 09:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Ortlieb.. Quick release locking hooks, I bring them in and fill them @ checkout..

Waterproof is good.. It rains Here..
Old 10-23-20, 04:20 PM
mc510

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been using these Nashbar townie open-top panniers for maybe the last 25 years. They're perfect for my needs; a regular size grocery bag drops right in. Now that they are finally giving in to the elements I am desperately searching for something equivalent!

Last edited by mc510; 10-23-20 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 03:37 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by mc510
I've been using these Nashbar townie open-top panniers for maybe the last 25 years. They're perfect for my needs; a regular size grocery bag drops right in. Now that they are finally giving in to the elements I am desperately searching for something equivalent!
They look great as well. I guess they are no longer made.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 11-15-20, 01:23 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
The stock bags that came with my Surly Big Dummy are fantastic for hauling groceries.
The stock bags that come with the Mongoose Envoy are likewise fantastic for hauling groceries. They have a huge rainflap that folds over the top and nothing is getting through both the flap and the zipper top. They are heavy though. And the hooks are fiddly. Nevertheless, I intend to get another set before this bike is discontinued. And if anyone is unhappy with the saddle of their cargo bike. I intend to contact Pacific Cycles (parent company of Mongoose) and find out how to get another. It is the best non-racing bicycle saddle. Period.
Old 11-19-20, 01:27 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Green guru dutchy will fold flat, go in the store with a shoulder strap and have a rain flap but they are not water proof, just resistant. I've had mine for about 3 years.