Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1995 Diamondback Catalog Scans

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 08:23 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts

I recently picked up a Diamondback road bike that came with the original sales items, including the catalog. There doesn't appear to be a scan of this online so I went ahead and scanned the information-containing pages and put a PDF on Dropbox and the image files on my Wordpress linked below. I used a scanning app on my phone since I don't have access to a large format scanner so some of the images are a little wonky but can still be easily read. The specifications pages are also only readable in the PDF, not sure why the images for those pages did not upload at full-resolution, I may retry that later tonight when I have time. Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone. It's surprising to see 16 mountainbikes and only 4 road bikes!

Direct Dropbox Link.

https://drandalls.wordpress.com/2016...dback-catalog/
Old 02-22-16, 08:39 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
.... It's surprising to see 16 mountainbikes and only 4 road bikes!
The market really started shifting towards ATBs in the late 1980s. As ATB sales increased, road bike sales decreased. Consequently, ATB models increased and road bike models became fewer. It got even worse in the 1990s, as hybrids started taking over over the entry level market. However, we should be thankful to the ATB market. Without it, many manufacturers would not have survived.
Old 02-22-16, 08:50 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
If you don't mind sharing with another site, you should contact retrobike.co.uk and add to their catalog archives:

Catalogues | Diamond Back Archive | Retrobike
Old 02-22-16, 09:13 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The market really started shifting towards ATBs in the late 1980s. As ATB sales increased, road bike sales decreased. Consequently, ATB models increased and road bike models became fewer. It got even worse in the 1990s, as hybrids started taking over over the entry level market. However, we should be thankful to the ATB market. Without it, many manufacturers would not have survived.
Hi Tom, it seems you and I are the only people who use the ATB acronym with any regularity

Do you have any criteria that you would use to differentiate an ATB from an MTB?

In my little mind, they're ATBs until the chainstays got short... so like 88 for a lot of mainstream bikes.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-22-16, 09:38 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,311 Posts
Where I live, Diamondbacks pop up fairly often and appear under-valued. Having more info about them is much appreciated. Thanks for scanning this.
Likes For Clang:
Old 02-22-16, 10:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Thats fantastic to see!
As one who has picked up a couple DB MTBs over the last year and there were no catalogs or spec sheets online for either of the two years, Im sure you adding the '95 catalog will be appreciated.
Old 02-22-16, 11:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Hi Tom, it seems you and I are the only people who use the ATB acronym with any regularity

Do you have any criteria that you would use to differentiate an ATB from an MTB?

In my little mind, they're ATBs until the chainstays got short... so like 88 for a lot of mainstream bikes.
MTB implies that they are primarily for mountainous terrain, which I think is a misnomer. I think all terrain is more accurate, at least from a C&V perspective. These days, there are all kinds of sub-categories/disciplines (free-ride, x-country, downhill, etc.) Maybe I'll start calling them ORBs (Off Road Bicycles) and confuse the heck out of everybody.

I think the one thing that really drove home my personal distinction was attending a "mountainbike race" at Lake Placid. Me and my buddy drove down, expecting some really grueling climbs, as we had previously competed in several road races that included Whiteface Mtn. However, when we got there, we looked at each other in disbelief. The course was a small, criterium style circuit at the base lodge. It was off-road but certainly wasn't mountainous, having maybe two feet of total climbing per lap! Needless to say, it was tailor made for a couple of ex-roadies.
Old 02-22-16, 01:44 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
The course was a small, criterium style circuit at the base lodge. It was off-road but certainly wasn't mountainous, having maybe two feet of total climbing per lap! Needless to say, it was tailor made for a couple of ex-roadies.
That sounds tailor made for me as well Not having to be more than 2 miles from the truck at any one time -- plus that much closer to the beers and the babes when its concluded !
Old 02-22-16, 01:47 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Love the catalog scans -- brings back memories
Old 02-22-16, 02:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
MTB implies that they are primarily for mountainous terrain, which I think is a misnomer. I think all terrain is more accurate, at least from a C&V perspective. These days, there are all kinds of sub-categories/disciplines (free-ride, x-country, downhill, etc.) Maybe I'll start calling them ORBs (Off Road Bicycles) and confuse the heck out of everybody.

I think the one thing that really drove home my personal distinction was attending a "mountainbike race" at Lake Placid. Me and my buddy drove down, expecting some really grueling climbs, as we had previously competed in several road races that included Whiteface Mtn. However, when we got there, we looked at each other in disbelief. The course was a small, criterium style circuit at the base lodge. It was off-road but certainly wasn't mountainous, having maybe two feet of total climbing per lap! Needless to say, it was tailor made for a couple of ex-roadies.
I've seen "Dirt Crits" advertised from time to time.

These days there are several STXC (Short Track Cross Country) race series around here. They're typically CX type courses but without barriers.
Old 05-08-16, 06:13 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
thanks!
Old 11-10-19, 05:23 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Resurrecting an old discussion, but thanks for posting up these manuals. I just scored a garage find Topanga. It's not showroom clean, but it is in decent shape and was never abused. Everything on it works as designed and intended.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...