Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated my inner tube

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-08-19, 08:16 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts

So I'm sitting here in my office in my bike in front of my desk....everything is nice and quiet

Then BANG!!!!

Sounded like a gun went off...followed by a slow 'pffpffffftftftftftfff' as I watched my bike drop an inch and a half

My rear inner tube exploded

It's possible I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated it.

Scared the snot out of me! hahaha

Oh well good thing I keep a spare with me. Guess I know what I'm doing at lunch time.
Old 05-08-19, 08:37 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
One time long ago the gauge on my cheap floor pump (now replaced) rotated somehow so that it was reading low, and I pumped my tyre up to what I thought was 100psi... and it was probably more like 200psi... and wow did it scare the hell out of me when it went BANG.
Old 05-08-19, 08:50 AM
Skipjacks

This happened in a store once. I was there with my then 2 year old. We were next to a rack of bikes when BANG!!!! A random tube on one of the bikes gave out.

My 2 year old looked up at me, saw I wasn't scared, and just smiled and ignored it.

The store manager gave me a 10% off coupon because it DIDN'T scare the kid and make him cry.

Ironically...I was there to buy a spare inner tube that day. The same spare inner tube I will be putting on my bike in about an hour.
Old 05-08-19, 09:10 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

Oh well good thing I keep a spare with me. Guess I know what I'm doing at lunch time.
Spare shorts, I hope
Old 05-08-19, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Not getting the inner tube fully in between the tire beads , does it too

tube pressure pushed tire off rim where you left it poking under the tire bead..
Old 05-08-19, 09:47 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Not getting the inner tube fully in between the tire beads , does it too

tube pressure pushed tire off rim where you left it poking under the tire bead..

Yep. This is what happened. I am sure you did not overinflate your tube to the point where it exploded. You have to make sure that the tire bead is not pinching the tube or else BAM!
Old 05-08-19, 09:54 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by robert schlatte
Yep. This is what happened. I am sure you did not overinflate your tube to the point where it exploded. You have to make sure that the tire bead is not pinching the tube or else BAM!
Nope, this is not what happened.

The bot poster above you (literally a computer makes those posts from that account, not a real person) did not correctly diagnose this. It was not pinched in the bead. It was overinflation combined with a failed seem.

I put a lot of air in it this morning in a rush. Wasn't paying attention. It was cold when I did it. Then I got it inside my office...heat went up....pressure went up...seem failed...bang.

The failed seem is right along the outside, as far from the bead as you can get, and very close to the valve stem so the tube couldn't have been twisted around inside the tire enough that the outside of the tube was down by the bead.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 05-08-19, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Story of having a Slime filled Tube blow out , worst part was trying to catch the cat to wash the green stuff off..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 05-08-19, 12:06 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
That bang is insanely startling. Had one happen in the middle of the night, and suffice to say I couldn't get back to sleep right away...

=The bot poster above you (literally a computer makes those posts from that account, not a real person)
Seriously?
Old 05-08-19, 12:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Story of having a Slime filled Tube blow out , worst part was trying to catch the cat to wash the green stuff off..
Old 05-08-19, 12:27 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
fiets is a bot? huh?
Old 05-08-19, 12:35 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
fiets is a bot? huh?
Technically, it is a Hybrid, or T-H, a human who has been transformed into a cybernetic organism. It is the main focus of the Project Angel, which was initiated by Cyberdyne Systems Genetics Division, and reborn by Skynet as Project Theta. It quickly reads the forum topic, and responds to what it calculates to be the OP content.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-08-19, 12:38 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by wgscott
Technically, it is a Hybrid, or T-H, a human who has been transformed into a cybernetic organism. It is the main focus of the Project Angel, which was initiated by Cyberdyne Systems Genetics Division, and reborn by Skynet as Project Theta. It quickly reads the forum topic, and responds to what it calculates to be the OP content.
And just when you think he's going away.....he'll be back. (In a Austrian accent)
Old 05-08-19, 12:43 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Seriously?
Someone told me that a few months ago. I didn't believe it.

Then I started watching the posts.

And they don't pass the Turing test. (The name for the test to determine if a computer can trick a human into believing it is alive)

Maybe I'm wrong. Its not my theory. Several other people have told me this. I thought they were all nuts at first. But the more I watched, the more I believe it could be true.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 05-08-19, 12:47 PM
Skipjacks

That bang is insanely startling. Had one happen in the middle of the night, and suffice to say I couldn't get back to sleep right away...
I have been nervous about that happening in the middle of the night after inflating tires.

Nervous to the point where I went downstairs to let some air out of the tires

Seriously I did that a few times after the first time I heard a tube explode
Old 05-08-19, 12:57 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Damaged sidewall or bead, even without overinflation, will cause a blowout. It is unlikely that the difference in ambient temperature between the time you inflated it and the time it blew was a factor... the ideal gas law uses absolute temperatures, so even if you inflated it below freezing and it went up to 30 degrees C (from 273 - 303 Kelvin), it won't make a big enough difference in pressure to cause a blowout on a non-damaged tire.
Old 05-08-19, 01:09 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
...And they don't pass the Turing test. (The name for the test to determine if a computer can trick a human into believing it is alive)

Maybe I'm wrong. Its not my theory. Several other people have told me this. I thought they were all nuts at first. But the more I watched, the more I believe it could be true.
I see what you mean, but I can't imagine any AI coming up with the story of cleaning tire slime off of a cat. If I'm wrong, than the demise of the human race is closer than I imagined...
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 05-08-19, 01:11 PM
ksryder

Someone told me that a few months ago. I didn't believe it.

Then I started watching the posts.

And they don't pass the Turing test. (The name for the test to determine if a computer can trick a human into believing it is alive)

Even more damning is the complete lack of denial that he isn't a bot.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-08-19, 01:14 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts

Seriously?
I had just moved into my townhome when in the middle of the night I heard that BANG! I had no idea where it came from. I checked the basement, everything seemed fine.

Several days later when I when to inflate the tires on my bike, The stem was gone on my back tire. I thought WTH! Then it dawned on me that BANG I heard was the stem blowing off.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-08-19 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 01:23 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Damaged sidewall or bead, even without overinflation, will cause a blowout. It is unlikely that the difference in ambient temperature between the time you inflated it and the time it blew was a factor... the ideal gas law uses absolute temperatures, so even if you inflated it below freezing and it went up to 30 degrees C (from 273 - 303 Kelvin), it won't make a big enough difference in pressure to cause a blowout on a non-damaged tire.
The tire is fine. The tube was overinflated. Best guess is there was a weak point in the rubber.

In this thread I am the only one who has seen or touched this tube. Yet multiple people are telling me what happened without seeing the tire or the tube or having any idea how inflated it was...what size tire or tube it was...how long ago it was mounted...etc...but people act like they know more about it that I do when I mounted it, inflated it, rode, it, dismounted it, and inspected it.

I find this hysterical.
Old 05-08-19, 01:24 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by ksryder
Even more damning is the complete lack of denial that he isn't a bot.
I've had the very same thought!
Old 05-08-19, 01:25 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I had just moved into my townhome when in the middle of the night I heard that BANG! I had no idea where it came from. I checked the basement, everything seemed fine.

Several days later when I when to inflate the tires on my bike, The stem was gone on my back tire. I thought WTH! Then it dawned on me that BANG I heard was the stem blowing off.
Your tire opened fire on you!!!

The tires are becoming sentient! They are soon taking over the world!

I, for one, welcome our new rubber overlords.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 05-08-19, 01:27 PM
ksryder

The tire is fine. The tube was overinflated. Best guess is there was a weak point in the rubber.

In this thread I am the only one who has seen or touched this tube. Yet multiple people are telling me what happened without seeing the tire or the tube or having any idea how inflated it was...what size tire or tube it was...how long ago it was mounted...etc...but people act like they know more about it that I do when I mounted it, inflated it, rode, it, dismounted it, and inspected it.

I find this hysterical.
One time I had a tube blow while I was sitting in my apartment on the couch and the bike was not being touched -- turns out there was a problem with the rim strip so the tube was touching the spoke nipple.

THEREFORE BASED ON THAT SINGLE DATA POINT EVERY TUBE THAT BLOWS MUST BE BECAUSE OF THE RIM STRIP PLACEMENT!!!121221!!!
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-08-19, 01:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If there was no pinching then you might have had a tube too narrow for the tire. The right sized tube doesn't stretch that much to begin with and stops stretching as soon as it reaches the tire, after that all the hoop pressure load is taken by the tire cords and the tube is only being smashed against the tire by the pressure, not stretched any further. If the tube is too small it's under more strain by the time it reaches the tire.

On the other hand if the tube is too large, it can fold and chafe.

If you have your tire label lined up with the valve stem it's easier to find problems in the tire and rim by the location of the hole in the tube.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-08-19, 01:33 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by ksryder
One time I had a tube blow while I was sitting in my apartment on the couch and the bike was not being touched -- turns out there was a problem with the rim strip so the tube was touching the spoke nipple.

THEREFORE BASED ON THAT SINGLE DATA POINT EVERY TUBE THAT BLOWS MUST BE BECAUSE OF THE RIM STRIP PLACEMENT!!!121221!!!
Well now see that's just solid application of relevant statistical analysis.

Seriously it just amazes me that some people can't read a "The tire exploded!" story and enjoy it for the fun quip it is. Some people just have to expound so they can impress people with their knowledge.

Just read the story. Laugh at how the air bomb going off in my office scared me awake this morning. Make a joke about the bikes attacking us. And move on. That's all this needed.
Likes For Skipjacks:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.