Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just venting about the state of local sales here lately

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just venting about the state of local sales here lately

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 10:05 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I realized the market was soft a couple of years ago at a swap meet when an individual was selling prime restored mid-80's to early 90's MTB's (he was from AZ and the frames/forks had remained pristine, then he cleaned up or replaced the parts). All were $250 or so and he had no buyers.
Old 05-21-19, 10:17 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I haven't put any links out as I'm selling locally, don't want the hassle of shipping, and isn't that a violation of forum rules?
Park it in the for sale section? Send me a PM?

I have family spread from Logan to Provo to facilitate. If you're between those two points, you won't be shipping to me.
Old 05-21-19, 10:43 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
A lot of people living in cities don't have cars. Not surprising or weird to get requests to deliver. Just view it as negotiation (time is money) and respond accordingly. Not rude at all.
Old 05-21-19, 11:21 AM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
I like what you said about “recalibrating”. Sometimes I feel I need to sell one to get one. I live in rural Ohio so it’s really tough to sell bikes. I try to post a price cheapest on cl and let er rip. Out of all the bikes I’ve sold a dept store nishiki mtb sold the fastest. At a good price and no negotiation.
Old 05-21-19, 12:05 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
A lot of people living in cities don't have cars. Not surprising or weird to get requests to deliver. Just view it as negotiation (time is money) and respond accordingly. Not rude at all.
Well, if they wanted delivery or to meet in the city 20 minutes away I'd understand. But when they want me to drive an hour or two to bring them a couple hundred dollar bike it just does not compute. I would never ask that of anyone. I don't look to buy bikes in Idaho because I'm not willing to go that far to get them. And I'm certainly not going to find one up there and then ask the seller to bring it to me. I do think that's rude.

I clearly state where I am at. To me I don't get folks folks in Salt Lake and Draper and such looking for a bike from me without a way to come get it. Maybe we see things differently or maybe it's because selling them really doesn't matter to me. I want the space not the money, LOL!
Old 05-21-19, 12:12 PM
turtledove

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 19?? Avitar Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Here, the problem is the bike sellers fall into 3 categories:
  1. The people selling their 3 year old carbon mountain bike for 90% of the retail price
  2. Moms and dads who find junker walmart bikes and sell them for $200 with titles like "Vintage mountain bike-lightly used" to sell to college students looking for a cheap commuter
  3. C&V people whose genuinely vintage bikes get buried under #2 type sellers.
Likes For turtledove:
Old 05-21-19, 12:13 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
The pendulum has swung over to the supply side vs. demand side here in the Jacksonville area. I've got a nice 1988 Fuji Club that's been sitting on CL for over two months now. There's not much interest in vintage steel around here lately. Maybe if Hollywood made a new movie that glamorized old bikes the pendulum would swing back to the demand side again. There has to be a fad of some kind to attract the young buyers.
Old 05-21-19, 12:28 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak

Who do these people think they are?
Young Millennials and Gen Z'ers. No joke. This is how they interact in real life.
Likes For shoota:
Old 05-21-19, 01:06 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Today, I had someone take an Uber to my house to get a bike. Put bike in said Uber and off they went. The new normal.

I see the market as soft, but it doesn't impact me. Lots of people selling means better ability to distinguish yourself from the crowd.

I stopped being vested in the sale of any particular bike a long time ago, because I realized all my bikes eventually find their way home. If any particular buyer wasn't interested at any given time, no biggie, it all works out. I actually tell people that it's not my purpose in life to sell them a bike, but I can show them a bike that might work for them and let them decide. Seems to take the pressure of buying off, and that's better for both of us.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 05-21-19, 01:58 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Young Millennials and Gen Z'ers. No joke. This is how they interact in real life.
As long as they stay off your lawn everything's cool. Right?
Old 05-21-19, 02:01 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
As long as they stay off your lawn everything's cool. Right?
Naw man it's not even like that. They really do just interact differently than previous generations. For example, in there world it's totally normal and OK to not answer someone's text or call. Like they just disappear. That would be very disrespectful in my generation but they don't get it.
Old 05-21-19, 02:06 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Today, I had someone take an Uber to my house to get a bike. Put bike in said Uber and off they went. The new normal.

I see the market as soft, but it doesn't impact me. Lots of people selling means better ability to distinguish yourself from the crowd.

I stopped being vested in the sale of any particular bike a long time ago, because I realized all my bikes eventually find their way home. If any particular buyer wasn't interested at any given time, no biggie, it all works out. I actually tell people that it's not my purpose in life to sell them a bike, but I can show them a bike that might work for them and let them decide. Seems to take the pressure of buying off, and that's better for both of us.
+1 I will be quick to point out that a bike is too big or too small for someone, the last thing I want to do is to push a bike on someone when I know its not a good fit.
Old 05-21-19, 02:12 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Naw man it's not even like that. They really do just interact differently than previous generations. For example, in there world it's totally normal and OK to not answer someone's text or call. Like they just disappear. That would be very disrespectful in my generation but they don't get it.
I can't tell, are you being serious? Because saying I haven't been ghosted by ******** from every generation would just be bull****.
Likes For iab:
Old 05-21-19, 03:14 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
As an elder "Millenial" (2-4 years just outside of X), this is true of those 10-15 years my junior or more. I don't understand the lack of remotely human interaction (aka, in person, looking at eyes, speaking more than minimally). So I know I'm getting old, but there are standards that must be upheld!

@jamesdak I fully understand your frustration with people expecting to be served. It's not only lazy and selfish, but disrespectful. I'll suffer some silly offers and even terse correspondence (that borders on curt) on their part, but if they're terse or flippant (often simultaneously so) and complete the trifecta with low-balling, then they get a terse "no" response (respectful, though, I ain't getting flagged for letting the offender know they're a jerk) or just none at all. Time to be teflon.

I may consider driving somewhere for a buyer, as a seller, but it's case-by-case and extremely rare. I always travel to the seller if I'm the buyer. I think what irks you and me about those who don't do that, and it's guys here 99.9999% of the time (as buyers), is that it's a rejection of basic DNA programming/instinct. We are (primary) hunters. If a potential buyer is on the lookout and contacting us, he needs to follow through on the hunt if he truly is interested--that's how it goes. If they wanted it delivered, guess what, that's what Ebay and Amazon and Wiggle are for. They have no car? They should know their limits and improvise or work around.

The market has softened here, or rather, evolved. Purely stock mid-level restored C&V has very limited appeal. So I upgrade to STI/Ergo setups and modern pieces for better and safer performance as well as capability, in addition to being more "mainstream" in the offering. That helps tremendously. Good pictures and a full description (size, stand over, component list, ride characteristics) continue to serve me well. A conscientious ad with email-only response largely attracts a conscientious (potential) buyer. Pricing my bikes at the cumulative price of all components (no labor, finishing kit price "compression") at their local market value usually deters low offers as the buyer, if they wanted to build that exact bike, couldn't do it for less than I did pretty much. They sell eventually, even if I want them gone sooner.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-21-19, 03:16 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Had a neighbor that wanted the wood I had from cutting down a tree (free of course). OK, but then he wanted it cut and split as he didn't have a saw or an axe either. "Would you like me to stack for you as well?"

As far as location, some think a 20 minute drive is a long trip. We moved from an urban environment to a rural town. Bike sales have plummeted. I either coordinate the sale and meet them at a convenient (to them) location, or I don't sell it.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-21-19 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 03:40 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
I've been thinking for a while now that anything with downtube shifters will eventually be a very tough sell. I think it's very close. The good news is that new bike prices keep going up. The bad news is if you want to fill a niche, start stocking up on brifters. Some of the first brifter equipped bikes are starting to drop into the price range of premium vintage. Pretty hard to compete with that. Just like the manual transmission, downtube shifters are dying. I'll bet most would take grip shifters or triggers instead of downtube. Adapt or die if you're a seller

Two years ago I couldn't give away a perfectly fine 50" projection TV. I had to take it apart and throw it away piece by piece.

Last edited by sdn40; 05-21-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 04:44 PM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
If an entire generation is being rude to you, it might not be them that's the problem.

Likes For tashi:
Old 05-21-19, 05:00 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I finally had a couple bikes sell for fair prices, but it took months of off and on postings.

A regular seller in my area does as bargainguy above says he does (could be the same person for all I know [ state fair park? ] ).

I’ve managed to sell several bikes to two of the bigger flippers in my area as well, they’re in the city and have better access to the carfree folks, so I see them repost my former bikes for double or more, then watch them get reposted for up to a year at times.

I’m doing the downsizing/recalibrating thing as well. Working on N*1/2 just to clear out the bikes I don’t ride or are redundant to get something else I’d rather have. I can count mine with just my fingers now and don’t even need to count with my toes.

Figure out what works, figure out how to not let people get under your skin, do what works for you, and try to not let the frustration affect you too much (yep, I’m working on this one as well). And sometimes I just move an unselling bike to the corner where I can ignore it easier and let it age a bit longer.

Last edited by treebound; 05-21-19 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 05:12 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Self inflicted wound: Lots of old once "premium" bikes acquired as a hobby now in a declining market globally and an uninterested local one.

-Bandera
Old 05-21-19, 06:25 PM
turtledove

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 19?? Avitar Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Saying this or that generation is so and so is all a bit silly, it's often a case of a buyer a) not knowing much about bikes (and therefore the value of the bike), b) just selfish, or c) all of the above, all of which certainly knows no bounds regardless of age.
Old 05-21-19, 06:30 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Just wait a few years until the hipsters start riding C&V.
Old 05-21-19, 09:17 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Well this sure stirred up a lively conversation, LOL! I don't mind losing money on them, I don't mind taking forever to sell them, heck I don't mind messing with the constant scammers. But the audacity of these folks here lately just surprises the hell out of me. Guess it's just a "sign of the times".
Old 05-21-19, 11:39 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Just wait a few years until the hipsters start riding C&V.
They did. It started in 2012.
At least that's when I began noticing the hipster trend beginning.
Seems to be fading now? Maybe it's just the province I'm in because there's a downturn due to poor revenue from oil and gas at the moment.
Old 05-22-19, 06:51 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
There are way more C&V bikes existing than will ever find riders. There are fewer and fewer riders willing or able to maintain an older bike. Many who would be well served by an older bike have been convinced that the maintenance is impossible. Worse, they have been convinced that normal features of old bikes. as dt shifters or skinny tubes, are only suitable for those with a death wish.

Something happened. Can't turn off italics. Anyway, was about to say it just doesn't matter how well the bike has been prepped for sale. Very few will have any appreciation of work that has been done. They don't know you aren't selling them an alley find worth maybe $20. And sadly, the fate of most all of our vintage bikes is scrap metal or landfill. It is going to happen.
Old 05-22-19, 07:18 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Having lived in Utah for 6 years, I am a little surprised the OP ever finds buyers. But as far as driving them down to SLC, it's not uncommon for people outside of the SLC area to drive there fairly often, so I think maybe the people asking just assume that.

As far as forum rules go, the OP is not an upgraded member, so he can't sell here (however, y'all are familiar with private messages or no?). Also, we don't allow external links in the for sale forum either. Not sure if those rules will ever be relaxed, it used to be allowed. I appreciate that he has not bowed to pressure and linked to his CL, because I really don't like being the bad guy and deleting things like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.