Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pump breaks off nut on Presta valves

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pump breaks off nut on Presta valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 10:06 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Quite a few reviewers on Amazon echo your problems,

and say that you should get another pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Hom...ustomerReviews

Last edited by woodcraft; 08-05-19 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 07:13 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
For all of 50+ years dealing with tires (bike,wagon, auto..etc) I have never had an issue with a Schrader. Only recently have I started to collect bikes with presta valves and I've hade trouble adapting to them from the beginning. Just to be able to fill a tire anywhere is a pain. I've had to find adapters, try this pump or that pump.

Recently I just had the tip of the core break off too. I had barely ridden this bike and now I had to buy a new tube just because the core was not replaceable.

To have to go through a whole tube replacement for something I never worried about in the past really takes the fun out of riding.
Old 08-06-19, 07:20 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
This is why I got in the habit years ago of using a schrader adapter. The presta's aren't as much of a problem when using a floor pump at home, but out on the road, pumping up a tire with my Silca frame pump, that you just can't stabilize like a floor pump, that's where I had this problem. The screw-on schrader adapters protect the fragile presta stem, and since using them routinely, I don't think I've even bent a presta stem, much less broken another one.
this
Old 08-06-19, 10:22 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I think I broke one once, in the '70s
Old 08-07-19, 05:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Some brands of tubes' valves are flimsier than others. I've pretty much settled on using Michelin tubes.. I like the smooth valve stems made out of brass. This smooth (unthreaded) valve stem seems to make pump heads easier to release, and the brass material seems quite a bit more robust than eg. whatever Conti uses.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-07-19, 11:16 AM
golftdi

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
and I thought I was the only one who worried about this -- appreciate reading this thread
Old 08-08-19, 03:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I find this interesting. I have broken off the nut on a presta valve, and have continued to use the tube. Why are you unable to use the tube? The nut does not create a seal, it only reinforces it, so to speak. I know lots of people with deep dish wheels that use valve extenders and keep the nut unscrewed so they don have to remove and replace the valve extender each time they pump up the tire. The extenders do not have a check valve in them.
Old 08-09-19, 03:00 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I find this interesting. I have broken off the nut on a presta valve, and have continued to use the tube. Why are you unable to use the tube? The nut does not create a seal, it only reinforces it, so to speak. I know lots of people with deep dish wheels that use valve extenders and keep the nut unscrewed so they don have to remove and replace the valve extender each time they pump up the tire. The extenders do not have a check valve in them.
At first I thought you mistook the question for the nut that holds the stem to the rim, but in thinking about it, I believe you are right about everything. After I busted off the nut at the tip, I suddenly thought ... aw shoot now it's broke.. but it still held air! I guess it functions just like a schrader after that? When I used the schrader adapter (I think you call it a valve extender) I would unscrew it to loosen the top nut, sometimes that takes out the core of the the presta valve that is removable.

Am I correct that thinking that you just leave the valve open with the schader adapter and leave it on the presta valve?
Old 08-09-19, 04:00 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
".. but it still held air! I guess it functions just like a schrader after that?"

The function is the same, yes, but the only spring that closes the valve is the actual air pressure in the tube. A Schrader valve has a coil spring in the valve that closes it, plus the air pressure in the tube. The coil spring in the Schrader valve makes it useful for low pressure applications.

I have seen only twice where the missing nut on a valve prevented it from staying put and the stem falls into the tube. Not sure if more than the nut and stem were damaged on those two tubes.