Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New bike- V Brakes don't work

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-03-19, 08:29 PM
dontmindme0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I don't know a lot about bikes but I'm trying to get my first bike and got a used bike with what I've found to be V Brakes. They don't work. I have a few issues. The cable coming out of both handlebars that connects to both brakes just pop out of the handle bar. Also, none of the brakes retract at all. Any advice please?
Old 09-03-19, 09:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-brake-service

Old 09-04-19, 08:40 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
There are springs in the brake arms that pull the arms away from the wheel when you aren't squeezing the lever. These springs have to overcome any friction in the system, including friction inside the cables. To me it sounds likely that there is too much friction in the cables. Maybe there is a kink in the cable, ot the cables were routed weirdly (wrapped around the frame an extra time) during assembly.

They are a very simple system and you can generally inspect and think logically and get it sorted out.

Also, if you bought the bike from a bike shop, they will fix it for you in a couple of minutes this time of year.
If you bought the bike from a big box store retailer (like WalMart), if you bring the bike back they will probably just hand you a whole replacement bike... although it might have the same problem.
Old 09-04-19, 09:16 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Sounds like the cables are way too loose if the housing pops out of the 'handlebar' by which I
assume you mean the brake levers. Since the bike is USED return to sender not likely feasible,
but hard to believe a shop would sell it like this, probably a private sale of a garage queen.

The Park tool site or just a google on Youtube about adjusting/installing V brakes should sort
it.
Old 09-04-19, 12:24 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Vague description yields generalized response:
Disassemble - clean - inspect - repair as needed - lubricate - assemble - adjust - ride.
Old 09-04-19, 12:53 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by dontmindme0
So I don't know a lot about bikes but I'm trying to get my first bike and got a used bike with what I've found to be V Brakes. They don't work.
Then you need to take yourself (and your bike) to a bicycle co-op in your area. Not a bike store (LBS), a bike co-op. I think they also call them bike kitchens, but I have no idea why. Why would you buy a used bike on which the brakes don't work? God knows what else is also wrong with it. You obviously couldn't ride it to test it out! No matter, the co-op will sort your new bike out for far less than an LBS (maybe free) and most have classes in basic bike repair (also free) and when you have enough ability to do basic work on your bike they will let you use their tools and workstands. How cool is that? Get cracking. No need to read any further in this thread :-)
Old 09-04-19, 12:58 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by leisesturm
then you need to take yourself (and your bike) to a bicycle co-op in your area. Not a bike store (lbs), a bike co-op. I think they also call them bike kitchens, but i have no idea why. why would you buy a used bike on which the brakes don't work? God knows what else is also wrong with it. you obviously couldn't ride it to test it out! No matter, the co-op will sort your new bike out for far less than an lbs (maybe free) and most have classes in basic bike repair (also free) and when you have enough ability to do basic work on your bike they will let you use their tools and workstands. How cool is that? Get cracking. No need to read any further in this thread :-)
+100
Old 09-04-19, 02:01 PM
dontmindme0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Why would you buy a used bike on which the brakes don't work?
I had literally no money. I had been searching for bikes for weeks and there was nothing in working condition that I could afford. I got the bike so I could get a job. I have enough money to replace the brakes but I want to see if I could fix it first.
Old 09-04-19, 09:41 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Post more messages so that you can post photos, or use a file hosting site and just post a url to the photo.
Old 09-05-19, 01:18 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I had literally no money. I had been searching for bikes for weeks and there was nothing in working condition that I could afford. I got the bike so I could get a job. I have enough money to replace the brakes but I want to see if I could fix it first.
I understand completely and work on many client and donated bikes that come in with that symptom. This is typical for bike that have been not properly stored over a long period of time.

But to help you we would need more information and some pictures as mentioned.

To me it sounds like the brake cables may be binding due to rusted/corroded cables within the housings. If they don't move freely they will hang and not release no matter how much tension is on the springs. You may need new cables and/or housings/ferrules/Noodles/boots. I normally try blowing out the housing and noodle with compressed air to remove rust, etc. before installing a new lubricated cable.

Use the Park tool videos or search YouTube for others but I would start here, https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...&area%5B%5D=48

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-brake-service or this one to service cables

Work on the back brake first, sometimes the old back brake cable can be salvaged and may have enough good material to be reused for the front cable as the front would be shorter.

Where are you located? Is there any bike coops nearby that can help you? You may need some specialized tools to do some of the work.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 09-05-19 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-05-19, 03:08 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
If you want to learn about working on bikes from scratch, the Sheldon and Park Tools links in my tag are a good place to start. There's also a couple of lists of bike coops.

I think you need to enable the desktop view to see em.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 09-07-19, 12:13 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Because of your post count, you cannot participate in Private Messaging but need to know your location. Please email me at JoeTheBikeManFlagler@gmail.com, I may be able to help you.

Old 09-10-19, 09:56 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I recently bought a weathered bike with V brakes.

Brakes (w/ new noodles) - $8.69
Cables - $11.99
Cable tool - $19.99

You can probably get by without the tool with a hacksaw and wire cutter, if you are really cash strapped. Sounds like your cables need lubricating and/or the brakes need the post greased and spring tension checked. But the best end result wil come from new stuff.
Old 09-21-19, 02:34 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Because of your post count, you cannot participate in Private Messaging but need to know your location. Please email me at JoeTheBikeManFlagler@gmail.com, I may be able to help you.
@dontmindme0 Still have not heard from you, did you get it sorted out?