Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

high end stuff

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

high end stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 04:33 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox

Still you know nothing about me, or my appreciation for quality.

No, a thread a month has me pretty clued in. When I start even one thread celebrating my obsession with cheap and mediocre it will show that you are right about me.

I actually did not feel safe on the LHT. 10 minutes up the street was enough. I almost walked back.
You should have told us this in your big apology thread, the one where you promised never to bring up or disparage the LHT again.

Here's a suggestion. Put together a touring bike that legitimately costs over 5,000 dollars. Use top notch parts of your choice on a custom carbon frame. Have Calfee make you one. Take a tour on it. I guarantee that you will have a quantitatively better time than on a bike like this. At least a 3,000 dollar and possibly more depending on how much over 5,000 you go on the build good time.
Old 10-09-16, 05:58 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moderator Please close this thread.
Squeezebox -- OP
Old 10-09-16, 09:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
$2K sure isn't mid range in my book.
As has been said a few times now in the various threads you have started where you bemoan a lack of high end bikes...your view is skewed and not grounded in the majority's reality.

You seem to think that just because a road bike or mtb can cost $10000, then a $3000 touring bike isnt high end. Its as absurd now is it was each time you claimed it 3 months ago, 9 months ago, and 11 months ago.
Old 10-09-16, 09:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Moderator Please close this thread.
Squeezebox -- OP
You came back after some time away and successfully trolled people for 4 pages. I too would want the thread closed after such a win.

Oh, i know- lets discuss what is and isnt low quality steel in your mext thread! You havent started one like that in over 8 weeks!
Old 10-09-16, 09:10 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I can and do appreciate the qualities of a better bicycle. I doubt that those of us are far and few between.
In general high-end usually means a material-object that is limited in supply. Most of the time it's value is not related to it's function. Gucci handbags & Rolex watches are functionally identical to their mid-range counterparts. Most high-end-things require a special level of care to preserve their value. For those of us who tour on bicycles, a high-end special needs bicycle is only going to detract from the experience of the tour itself. Pricey bicycles that require special attention, special tools, can't be repaired easily, require special theft protection and/or expensive insurance are a negative to the enjoyment & simplicity I seek in the activity which is touring.

Last edited by BigAura; 10-09-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-09-16, 09:30 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I'm wondering why nobody seems to offer high end stuff for touring.
You may want to consider boating, instead of biking, then. Interesting article here.

It would suggest that bicycles offer limited showing-off potential, and that, as a consequence, the buyers' rationale is utilitarian, if not minimalist.
Old 10-09-16, 09:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there you go , a sailboat .. BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand..
Old 10-09-16, 12:32 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
You may want to consider boating, instead of biking, then. Interesting article here.

It would suggest that bicycles offer limited showing-off potential, and that, as a consequence, the buyers' rationale is utilitarian, if not minimalist.
Your post is sort of ironic. This is one of the yachts you linked to, the Eclipse. It was docked in Copenhagen, Denmark. It is owned by a Russian billionaire. We saw it while I was riding through Copenhagen on my "cheap, low quality steel, inferior" touring bike

Last edited by Doug64; 10-09-16 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 02:18 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
We saw it while I was riding on my "cheap, low quality steel, inferior" touring bike
You tend to do that a lot, riding your low quality bike all over the place

All jokes aside, and I know we will never change the OP'S mind, but the topic does open up a Good line of discussion on just how people decide what is quality enough and/or how and why they choose to upgrade.

Some people just assume more expensive is better, as we see here. Others crowd source every decision depending on what others say is quality and some go through a process of purchase/tour/evaluation/adjustment.

I tend to do a mix of the latter. I read about other people's experience, think about my own, and see if I can adapt something to the next trip. In the case of my bike it worked flawlessly so I feel no need to replace it on quality grounds. I'm very intrigued by fast crossings and randoneering of late so I sometimes think of building a tour capable road bike. But I would never go out and drop 10k on one without any practical experience to refer to. Yesterday I emailed a guy about a Columbus steel frame set on CL (cheap) and will see if I get it to rebuild. If I do I will ride it and then evaluate what I like and what I can improve. By next spring/summer I will probably have a very capable fast road touring bike... cheap!

I'm part Scot and cheap is seen as virtue, not a vice.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-09-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 03:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Condo-Cruise Liner MS "the World"

https://aboardtheworld.com/ BTW , IF you list it as your primary Home , get an offshore Tax Dodge..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_The_World

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-09-16 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 03:53 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
Why are you discussing your budget in a thread about high end bikes. People don't go into LHT threads and talk about how their bonus was 40 million dollars last year and they can't imagine buying some crap from China. There are probably as many people in the US with a 1 million dollar bonus as there are people taking 3 months off to go cycling on a budget of 1400 dollars.

A prominent US tourist just got robbed of 10 million in jewels the other day, not everyone tours on a budget. Robin Williams grossed 5 billion at the box office and had a net worth of around 50 million. He used to go to the NAHBS. Not everyone is eating out of a dumpster.
But some people are just crazy enough to have a bike that they will take on a nice trip that they have to watch every second so someone doesn't steal it from them. I don't lock my bike, because I'm not crazy enough to tour on a bike where I have to lock it up. Instead I go on the trip to enjoy being relaxed and letting the worries of the crap from the other world disappear and the only thing I have to focus on is where is my next turn, not how long before someone is going to walk off with my bike because I couldn't find someplace to lock it up.

Unless your a star studded athlete there is no reason to own a $10K bicycle. The lesser performing bikes will be all you'll need. Yeah, some people jsut enjoy throwing good money after stupid things. That's why someone else made the simple reply, if you're dumb enough to want a $10K bike then someone will be glad to take your money from you. Is the $10K bike going to do anything more for you than a cheaper bike, quite frankly NO. It all comes down to the rider on the bike. Not only how good of shape he/she is in but also in how smart they pack/don't pack.
Old 10-09-16, 04:02 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Your infatuation with cheap and mediocre won't let you understand my opinion.
Higher quality means stronger, more reliable. nothing to do with bling.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it just means better marketing. You have to learn marketing makes or breaks any product that hits the market. If your marketing campaign is good enough you can raise the price of your product and make a bigger profit even though your quality is junk. Until the bad reviews come out...which may take a long time depending on just how well your junk product holds up, you can continue to get away with selling junk for a massive profit.

Higher price just means you're paying more for the product...especially in this day and age.
Old 10-09-16, 04:31 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
When I was in Hort. college we toured a high tech composting facility where they sold potting soil (the finished product). One auger filling multiple brands of bags from generic yellow to "organic"; priced in garden centers accordingly. That lesson really opened my eyes to marketing and what's behind the label.
Old 10-09-16, 05:54 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
[...] the topic does open up a Good line of discussion on just how people decide what is quality enough and/or how and why they choose to upgrade. [...]
Indeed.

I personally value reliability/resilience above everything, and, because it would be inconvenient to own several different types of bikes, I've assembled on a platform that will eventually become an expedition bike, i.e. something that you can fly to destination without anxiety about damage, and ride in remote places for extended periods of time without worrying about replacement parts.

I therefore have little interest in things like carbon components, and such.

I have seriously considered Rohloff + carbon drive but couldn't find how the expense could be justified.

We have three bikes, one assembled on a LHT frame and 2 on Trolls. I am of the opinion that most components are at the upper end of their range (XT, Brooks, Thomson, Tubus, Ortlieb, Schwalbe, etc.) with the possible exception of the rims (Mavic 317) that I'll seriously consider upgrading once we aim for more unforgiving places.

I suppose that a productive discussion might start with acknowledging different types of touring and discuss "the ultimate machine" accordingly. Just like there is a place for Unimogs and another for minivans (or Teslas)
Old 10-09-16, 10:41 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
$2K sure isn't mid range in my book. I can and do appreciate the qualities of a better bicycle. I doubt that those of us are far and few between. I actually did not feel safe on the LHT. 10 minutes up the street was enough. I almost walked back. I'm pleased with my 920. Let's face it, there are only a few bicycles with touring geometry and gearing to choose from.
So if you can't and/or don't appreciate a quality bicycle so be it.
But please stop attacking me because I can and do appreciate the difference.

So can we get on to what would be a lighter and probably stronger touring bicycle.
IMO a bit unfair to beat up on LHT/DT, Surly is making the best of the bad situation ie thin touring market with conservative consumers. Production MTBs & road bikes have carbon frames for semi-affordable prices but it's unlikely we will see production carbon tourers in the near future.
Old 10-10-16, 08:14 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I do wish we could get out of this pissing match and talk about what a high quality touring bicycle would be.
You are a troll jerking off to ephemera
Old 10-10-16, 11:08 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
IMO a bit unfair to beat up on LHT/DT, Surly is making the best of the bad situation ie thin touring market with conservative consumers. Production MTBs & road bikes have carbon frames for semi-affordable prices but it's unlikely we will see production carbon tourers in the near future.
Prior to this thread I have never heard anyone beating up on a LHT. These are solidly designed and built, well priced bikes for a utilitarian market, like Ford Ranger pickups (R.I.P). In 2010 I suffered a bad downhill crash two weeks into a four months tour, that bent my fork legs off to one side. I was riding a Surly Cross Check. I bought a replacement front wheel and re-dished it in a hostel lobby to center in the messed up fork, and completed the rest of my tour. If I had been riding a carbon frame my tour would surely have been significantly disrupted, possibly set back by a month as I waited for a replacement frame to be posted by sea from North America. I was in the middle of nowhere in rural China. I probably would have had to travel back to Shanghai in order to access a modern bike shop's build tools.

Regarding the OP's claim that he doesn't consider $2000 to be mid range. I agree, but not in the way he thinks. $2000 is upper range. Mid range is $1200. Low range is $800 and below. A friend of mine rode Shanghai to Singapore last year on a $150 mountain bike. She took a bit longer than I did but got there eventually just the same. Solo, too. Now, I later spent $3200 on a custom frame, plus about a thousand more on parts; but, that's a custom. Anybody who spends more than $2500 on a stock touring bike is wasting money. At that price range you're looking at the best tubing, Rohloff drivetrain, dynamo lighting, handbuilt wheels, the whole deal. What else do you need? More money than brains; Rolex watches; Louis Vuitton handbags; Leica cameras; you get the idea.

Regarding the OP's claim that he "appreciates" high end bikes: in order to push the bike above $5000 you'd have to be looking at exotic carbon frames and 11 speed electronic shifting. $10000? Man, I have no idea. You'd have to be deep into road cycling weight weenie territory. Full carbon wheels (carbon hubs and spokes too), custom derailleur cages and jockey wheels, full carbon saddle, ceramic bearings, custom seat posts with those ridiculous looking skimpy clamps. what else am I missing? Here's how it works: someone makes a regular carbon stem and sells it for $80. You take the same carbon stem and shave off half the design thickness until it's so skimpy it's only rated for 140lb riders, and is still constantly on the edge of catastrophic failure. Obviously your stem is lighter. You then take this stem and sell it for $400. This is the kind of moronic BS that gets bicycles over the $10k mark. Keep in mind there are people in Africa who make less than $10k over their entire lives.

Now, step back and look at all this in the context of touring bikes. By the time you've spent 10k on a touring bike, there are two possibilities:

A) You've built yourself a weight weenie plastic road bike that is impossible to tour on. You're an idiot.
B) Someone has sold you a regular old touring bike worth a few thousand tops, but conned you into paying $10k with a slapped on brand sticker. You're an idiot.

End of story.
Old 10-10-16, 11:25 PM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I will go out on a limb and say it would not be fun to solo tour on a $10,000 bike.

I would worry every time I took my eyes off of it, worry someone would recognize the value and cut the lock off, worry they would just lift it into a truck, worry they would strip it in minutes. Savvy bike thieves know stripped parts sell safer than whole bikes because they can't be identified. I would worry when I went into a store, a bathroom or a cafe... all stuff one has to do on tour and all that worrying would not counter any benefit $10,000 worth of ego stroking might promise to deliver.

Potential theft on tour is a real practical concern that impacts my decision making and ability to have fun. It tells me where I can go and not go, what I can do and how long I can do it.
So true. My > $3750 to replace touring bike would function great as a grocery getter.

On my last tour I went light and used my commuter. Funny how I didn't worry about leaving it places. Heck, I did not even bring a lock.
Old 10-11-16, 01:47 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I do wish we could get out of this pissing match and talk about what a high quality touring bicycle would be.
I don't want to brag, but for ~5k Euros you can get IMHO the highest quality money can buy.
I have a custom built, stainless steel sled with Rohloff, TRP Hylex, Carbon Gates Drive, S&S couplers, system weight of a builders certified 150kg's, Tubus Rack, Schmidt SON with Edelux 2 and BM taillight. Oh, and my newest addition is a Knog Oi Bell for style points. Downside: It is heavy! Upside: It's a tank and tracks perfectly even when only one Ortlieb is loaded with 15lbs of groceries.

Anyway.. this is my dream bike which I had built by a custom frame builder in Bremerhaven, but for someone else it might be the total opposite and a total waste of money (like my dad thinks). I'm happy with the sled and that I was able to afford myself such a nice ride and after a year of daily use it has only let me down once, after I went on a forest trail with it and pinch flatted running over a big stone.

I think high quality is subjective, as my dad e.g. cannot understand how I can spent so much money on a 'simple' bicycle.

So in closing, do you think this is a high end configuration?
Old 10-11-16, 06:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,547 Times in 7,330 Posts
I go away for a long weekend and come back to this.

smh

OP: If you want the thread locked you can't simply make a post asking for such since the mods don't read every post. (You know that.) Reporting your post asking for a lock to the mods should do the trick.

Old 10-11-16, 07:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Yan
Now, step back and look at all this in the context of touring bikes. By the time you've spent 10k on a touring bike, there are two possibilities:

A) You've built yourself a weight weenie plastic road bike that is impossible to tour on. You're an idiot.
B) Someone has sold you a regular old touring bike worth a few thousand tops, but conned you into paying $10k with a slapped on brand sticker. You're an idiot.

End of story.
If you are dying for some entertainment, google 'squeezebox, low end, bikeforums'. Or instead of google, Baidu it or Soso it. <---those dont sound as natural when turned into a verb.

Here are a few of many...
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1052665-my-920-a.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...why-steel.html <---- 17 page thread!
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-prettier.html <----23 page thread!
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...our-bikes.html <---squeeze was a bike mechanic, apparently.

There are just so many gems if you go hunting. Basically, squeeze has declared any bikes under $2k to be 'inferior' and 'low end'. Quotes are because those are words he uses a lot. He has declared the LHT to basically be the worst bike ever created and bemoans a lack of full carbon touring options. He continually blindly declares more expensive components to be better since 'better is better' and more expensive means better.
He is pure entertainment when I cant focus at work(which is often). Luckily, there seems to be a near limitless amount of entertainment for me to consume.
Old 10-11-16, 07:31 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If you are dying for some entertainment, google 'squeezebox, low end, bikeforums'. Or instead of google, Baidu it or Soso it. <---those dont sound as natural when turned into a verb.

Here are a few of many...
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1052665-my-920-a.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...why-steel.html <---- 17 page thread!
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-prettier.html <----23 page thread!
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...our-bikes.html <---squeeze was a bike mechanic, apparently.

There are just so many gems if you go hunting. Basically, squeeze has declared any bikes under $2k to be 'inferior' and 'low end'. Quotes are because those are words he uses a lot. He has declared the LHT to basically be the worst bike ever created and bemoans a lack of full carbon touring options. He continually blindly declares more expensive components to be better since 'better is better' and more expensive means better.
He is pure entertainment when I cant focus at work(which is often). Luckily, there seems to be a near limitless amount of entertainment for me to consume.
Thanks. I pay for a VPN so I can use the real internet in China. I had no idea there was so much controversy surrounding this guy. Seems everyone needs to take a breath and relax. He's entitled to his opinions. If he has the money, who's to say he's not allowed to spend it how he wants?
Old 10-11-16, 07:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Yan
Thanks. I pay for a VPN so I can use the real internet in China. I had no idea there was so much controversy surrounding this guy. Seems everyone needs to take a breath and relax. He's entitled to his opinions. If he has the money, who's to say he's not allowed to spend it how he wants?
Completely agree that if someone has the money, they can spend it however they want.

Its the constant bashing of equipment everyone else uses and the constant claims of inferiority that irks others since those people actually use the equipment to tour which squeeze...hasnt and doesnt.

Squeeze has admitted he trolls. At this point, his posts are like professional wrestling...just pure entertainment and shame that its even entertaining.
Old 10-11-16, 09:15 AM
northerntier

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm wondering why nobody seems to offer high end stuff for touring. It's possible to spend $10K + on a single bicycle. That puts Co-motion and such solid in mid-range. Folks like Calfee, landshark, don't seem to offer the right geometry with eyelets and such for a real touring frame. The tandem folks do talk about carbon triple cranks, and Di2 derailers, also carbon wheels and some other things.
So is it at least theoretically possible to put together a high end touring bicycle?
What would it be?
You can easily spend 8K or so on a co-motion.
Old 10-11-16, 09:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

doubt Squeeze box will ever tour anywhere
does like the sound the air passing over his reeds makes ,
others may not even find it musical..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.