Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

I just bought...

Old 01-22-19, 12:20 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115
Looks good.

I had trouble with mounting Dura Ace rings on the ALDHU spider. The stack of spider thickness and inside of the chain ring bolt hole thickness was too small and the chain ring bolt wouldn't snug sufficiently to keep the ring on tight. Apparently some chain rings are thicker than others as a friend said FSA rings work well. I solved the problem by getting the Power2Max powermeter spider. But that necessitated getting the ALDHU road axle and BB. It's the rainy season in the PNW so I haven't been able to track test it yet.
Most of my chainrings are Superbe Pro, like the one in the photo. The bolts and nuts supplied by Rotor work fine, and snug up well. The only negative is that I will have to glue the nuts to the spider when I get a chance to make it easier to change rings. I have a couple of Dura Ace rings I will have to test, but I think since the Superbe's work, they should be ok as well in terms of stack height.
Old 02-11-19, 11:18 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
As this forum is one of the few places I can think of that'll nerd out about the minutae of handlebars, I'll report back on my first races with Dixie Flyer handlebars.

I definitely had to roll them outward to get the reach I wanted in the drops... But rolling them outward also provided a totally passable sphinx position - an aero top provides a little bit of extra wrist support. However, I felt a little bit scrunched up - and I may have to try a 130mm stem.

I think these are a dual-purpose sprint and enduro bar - it's not really optimized for either, but I think it's quite good at both. There could be a hair more wrist clearance, a hair more reach, and the shape of the aero top isn't quite as refined as Scattos or other things from large companies. But especially for the price, I'm happy this exists.... and I wonder if I should have gotten them in 33. Though then I'd definitely need to get a longer stem, and at that point I don't think I'd clear a bike check, and might need a new frame, and that ain't happenin'.

overall, happy with the purchase.

Old 02-11-19, 06:53 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Nice! How do you find the handling with your hands that far in front of the axle?
Old 02-11-19, 07:18 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Yeah, I wish the Dixie bars had more reach. I've just gone to a larger frame, and even with a 13cm stem and Nitto 125's (88mm reach) I'm still not as stretched out as I'd like. All the new generation of carbon track bars (save the BT) have really short reach.
Old 02-12-19, 07:55 AM
benjovland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts
Who is the hunk catching some zzzzs in the background?!?!
Old 02-12-19, 10:47 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by taras0000
Nice! How do you find the handling with your hands that far in front of the axle?
it's fine - the picture's at an angle that exaggerates it for the right hand side of the bike there)

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Yeah, I wish the Dixie bars had more reach. I've just gone to a larger frame, and even with a 13cm stem and Nitto 125's (88mm reach) I'm still not as stretched out as I'd like. All the new generation of carbon track bars (save the BT) have really short reach.
You can roll 'em out and get a little more reach at the drop but at that point you're threatening your wrist clearance. When it comes down to it, handlebar geo is a crucial part of fit, thank u for coming to my TED talk.

Originally Posted by benjovland
Who is the hunk catching some zzzzs in the background?!?!
lol
who IS he
mulletedfastboisofnorthamericantrackcycling.tumblr.com
Old 02-12-19, 04:48 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
mulletedfastboisofnorthamericantrackcycling.tumblr.com
I have a feeling that if one searched this "url" that it would come back with something one wasn't expecting.
When I was in school for paramedic, we saw a recorded news report of a highway collision involving a truck carrying re-bar. The truck driver was unlucky/lucky as a piece of re-bar had pierced his skull right down the center between his brain hemispheres, missing his brainstem. He was extricated with a chunk of it and taken to hospital. He survived and recovered fully with only slightly slurred speech. The press had dubbed him Unicorn Man. A few years out of school I tried to look the story up whenwi was with friends to show them and ended up finding a VERY different Unicorn Man. Never was able to find the news report.

Last edited by taras0000; 02-12-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 12:43 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
As this forum is one of the few places I can think of that'll nerd out about the minutae of handlebars, I'll report back on my first races with Dixie Flyer handlebars.

I definitely had to roll them outward to get the reach I wanted in the drops... But rolling them outward also provided a totally passable sphinx position - an aero top provides a little bit of extra wrist support. However, I felt a little bit scrunched up - and I may have to try a 130mm stem.

I think these are a dual-purpose sprint and enduro bar - it's not really optimized for either, but I think it's quite good at both. There could be a hair more wrist clearance, a hair more reach, and the shape of the aero top isn't quite as refined as Scattos or other things from large companies. But especially for the price, I'm happy this exists.... and I wonder if I should have gotten them in 33. Though then I'd definitely need to get a longer stem, and at that point I don't think I'd clear a bike check, and might need a new frame, and that ain't happenin'.

overall, happy with the purchase.

I also just bought a pair. According to Bobby, they will start their 2019 batch soon and have made some improvements to the bars.
Old 02-13-19, 01:38 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by taras0000
I have a feeling that if one searched this "url" that it would come back with something one wasn't expecting.
When I was in school for paramedic, we saw a recorded news report of a highway collision involving a truck carrying re-bar. The truck driver was unlucky/lucky as a piece of re-bar had pierced his skull right down the center between his brain hemispheres, missing his brainstem. He was extricated with a chunk of it and taken to hospital. He survived and recovered fully with only slightly slurred speech. The press had dubbed him Unicorn Man. A few years out of school I tried to look the story up whenwi was with friends to show them and ended up finding a VERY different Unicorn Man. Never was able to find the news report.
no, it's the same guy
trust me
Old 02-13-19, 06:33 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

Originally Posted by colnago62

I also just bought a pair. According to Bobby, they will start their 2019 batch soon and have made some improvements to the bars.
here is a picture of mine on my bike.
Old 02-13-19, 07:23 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
those look nice!
Old 03-02-19, 06:03 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just replaced the crank nuts I received from Rotor in my new spider for the 150 mm cranks with Sugino knurled nuts. They work great, and I would recommend getting them and using them on the Rotor cranks.
Old 03-02-19, 06:34 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Those Sugino's are one of life's little comforts. Much better than gluing.

I bought a cheapo sinz crank and a bdop 110-144 adapter. Thanks in part to the other thread, going to do some testing on shorter cranks. Try to isolate as few changes at a time as possible and see what happens.
Old 08-02-19, 05:58 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I went for it.
Likes For AmahlAmahlAmahl: