Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bianchi pista fixie

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bianchi pista fixie

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-20, 06:18 PM
Clarkey95

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi pista fixie

Recently picked up a Bianchi pista 2nd Hand

Found what I think to be the clear coat is flake away and all patchy

I’ve tried foil and steal wool and actone

Hasn’t really work.

Want to able to get it back to complete chrome and then I’ll apply a new clear coat.

I’m in Melbourne Australia.

Anyone know if any good products.

Also need ideas for drop down bars post a photo of yours my current stem suits a 25.4mm bar so want drop downs to suit that

Any help for be great

Cheers all
Old 02-04-20, 08:50 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
The foil and steel wool is for rusty chrome, not clear coat, so don't go there. Acetone will remove some of the clear coat but wouldn't be my first choice. I'm thinking it will require a paint stripper. Do it outdoors! And the stuff I've used is very harmful to your skin, so check whatever you purchase for recommendations. Rubber gloves would be a minimum and eye protection too.

After it is removed you probably will have ruined the decals. Do you want to re-apply them? They aren't cheap, but you can buy replacements.

I have no experience in clear-coating a bicycle, chrome or otherwise. Personally, if I went to all of that trouble I'd be tempted to have it done by a professional shop for best results.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-20, 11:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarkey95
...Want to able to get it back to complete chrome and then I’ll apply a new clear coat...
I can't comment on what products are available to you down under.

Here in the U.S., there are various types of paint strippers sold in hardware and home improvement stores. Some are gel-type, meaning that they adhere a bit after you've applied them, and while they're doing their work.

Google "paint stripper" and compare to your local retailers. You'll also need some form of scraper to work on the tougher areas. With chrome beneath, I would not use a metal scraper, but more of a plastic tool, such as an inexpensive putty knife.

Acetone would be good wipe after all is done, followed by isopropyl alcohol immediately before clear coating. Wear gloves always, of course, because strippers and acetone should not be on your skin directly, and have appropriate ventilation while you work.