Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why Wabi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 05:35 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I can't explain why certain music makes me tingle, but it does.
Old 02-11-20, 11:53 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Lugs give you that sweet bikesnobamine rush that can only be obtained by riding a lugged frame.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 02-12-20, 07:23 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Lugs give you that sweet bikesnobamine rush that can only be obtained by riding a lugged frame.
What he said!
Old 02-23-20, 06:20 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I have an issue with the Tange headset. Even if I have it tightened down too much, when I squeeze the front lever and rock the bike back and forth I can feel with my fingers some play between the top bearing cap and upper cup. You can't feel it when riding as you would a loose headset, but I do hear a slight noise on rough roads that I think has to be the headset because I checked everything else. If you look super close you can even see it moving just a hair.

I took everything apart and it all looked good and the crown race is pressed down fully. Only thing I can figure is it's just a cheap headset or I got one with bad tolerances. Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking about just getting a CK.
Old 02-23-20, 07:17 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I'm thinking about just getting a CK.
That's what I did. I don't remember how long the stock headset lasted but it was only slightly longer than the crappy chain. The bottom bracket will go next. I replaced mine with an IRD Defiant.
Old 02-23-20, 07:37 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I have an issue with the Tange headset. Even if I have it tightened down too much, when I squeeze the front lever and rock the bike back and forth I can feel with my fingers some play between the top bearing cap and upper cup. You can't feel it when riding as you would a loose headset, but I do hear a slight noise on rough roads that I think has to be the headset because I checked everything else. If you look super close you can even see it moving just a hair.

I took everything apart and it all looked good and the crown race is pressed down fully. Only thing I can figure is it's just a cheap headset or I got one with bad tolerances. Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking about just getting a CK.
Maybe the head tube needs to be faced? If it's not square a new headset won't fix it.

I never had an issue with mine, over 3,000 miles now.
Old 02-24-20, 05:24 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by kingston
That's what I did. I don't remember how long the stock headset lasted but it was only slightly longer than the crappy chain. The bottom bracket will go next. I replaced mine with an IRD Defiant.
Yeah, the BB looks cheap. I'm going to get a Sugino 75 crankset. The stock cranks are fine but you know how the mod bug is.
Old 02-24-20, 05:26 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Maybe the head tube needs to be faced?
Thought about that, hope that's not the case. But if it were that or a crown race not fully flushed I would think it would cause the headset to come loose when riding. I know the latter can cause it because I dealt with that before. It's actually not real bad, it took me hundreds of miles before I even noticed it.
Old 02-24-20, 08:39 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts

Your headset isn't pre-loading enough when you tighten the top cap because you need to add a spacer to your stack.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 02-24-20, 05:11 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Your headset isn't pre-loading enough when you tighten the top cap because you need to add a spacer to your stack.
Add a spacer where? My steerer isn't cut, I can't even add another spacer. I have two spacers above my stem right now.
Old 02-25-20, 10:00 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
What does your steerer being cut have to do with adding a spacer?

There needs to be at least a 3mm gap between whatever is at the top of your spacer stack and your steerer for the headset to compress enough during pre-load, otherwise your top cap will contact the steerer no matter how much you tighten the bolt and the headset will remain loose.

Stop arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about and either cut your steerer or add a small spacer to your stack. I guarantee it will fix your problem.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 02-26-20 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 10:39 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Just remove the top cap and look. Don't even loosen the stem bolts that clamp it to the steerer tube. If there is a gap of a few mm between the top of the tube and the top of the stem (or top spacers) then that's not the problem.
Likes For AlmostTrick: