Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Broken chain whip

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Broken chain whip

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 09:54 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Broken chain whip

Hello,

I was removing a cassette from my mtb with a Park Tool 1/8 chain whip, and the chain broke. Can I use a 1/8 quick link to fix it?

Dave
Old 02-12-20, 12:51 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
I see no reason why that wouldn't work.
Old 02-12-20, 07:49 AM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Don't have a Parktool chain whip, but use a Shimano TL-SR22 and its chain comes attached with a master link. Using a master link to repair your chain whip shouldn't be a problem... However, if you're snapping chains trying to remove a cog or cassette maybe you might consider some options to help loosen it up first, such as oil or heat, etc.
Old 02-12-20, 07:49 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Sure, any old chain will work (well, assuming it fits over whatever cog you're wrapping it around).
Old 02-12-20, 09:34 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by hardboiled718
Don't have a Parktool chain whip, but use a Shimano TL-SR22 and its chain comes attached with a master link. Using a master link to repair your chain whip shouldn't be a problem... However, if you're snapping chains trying to remove a cog or cassette maybe you might consider some options to help loosen it up first, such as oil or heat, etc.
This. If you have to use that amount of force, try giving it some help first. I like penetrating oils and have had decent success with a product called PB Blaster.
Old 02-12-20, 11:24 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
This. If you have to use that amount of force, try giving it some help first. I like penetrating oils and have had decent success with a product called PB Blaster.
​​​​​​
I've heard of those products. Trouble is, I just put the cassette on. Had just gone to the gym earlier too, so my muscles were extra large, LOL. I also put some lube on the lockring threads.

Was trying to take the cassette back off because I noticed the cassette wobbled a little bit when spinning. After researching bike forums, found out that is due to machining tolerancesc the freehub, and that is something I'll have to live with on a cheap wheel.

Going to try the quick link, hopefully that will fix the tool. Worst case, I can use the other end of the tool to hold cassette removal tools. The wrench I was using was kind of short too, which would explain not being able to loosen the lockring.

Dave